Can't decide! intel system!

Hi guys! I'm in a small dilemma and I'm currently in the process of saving up for new components for my new build.

I currently have a new gtx 780 that I just ordered and I now need a new i7 CPU and a motherboard to choose.

I'm stuck between the i7 4770k or the i7 3930k

I'm an enthusiast that also does video editing but also gaming and produce media, so I want something future proof but a nice rig! looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Jayson Kandiah
Director at Acura Systems/Computer Builder

www.acurasystems.co.uk

depends on how much you render (and if it's your job or not), but I would say 3930K, 4930K if you can
if you play more games, 4770K for sure

How hardcore you are with video editing? If it's just the occasional video for YouTube a 4770K will suffice. The 2011 platform is more oriented towards workstation PCs and with this comes a hefty cost, not to mention the motherboards for 1150 have a larger bang for the buck, allowing you to get more features at a lower cost. The performance you would get out of the 3930K would be marginal when compared with the 4770K and is not worth the money unless you absolutely need it, with the money save you could buy a better GPU or even buy a sound card depending on your preference.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

4930K for the bragging rights

Fixed that for you! :)

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Always buy the best you can afford if you want to "future proof".

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

How hardcore you are with video editing? If it's just the occasional video for YouTube a 4770K will suffice. The 2011 platform is more oriented towards workstation PCs and with this comes a hefty cost, not to mention the motherboards for 1150 have a larger bang for the buck, allowing you to get more features at a lower cost. The performance you would get out of the 3930K would be marginal when compared with the 4770K and is not worth the money unless you absolutely need it, with the money save you could buy a better GPU or even buy a sound card depending on your preference.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

carry that badge with pride  :D

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Hmmmmmm! Sounds like a very valid point, i do edits for bmxers and quite a lot of media content, but im well rounded as i also use it for office use aswell, if i were to go for the 3930k would it be futureproof? as apparently its 1.5 years old and also will the 2011 socket be futureproof aswell?

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

There's not really such a thing. Better hardware gives you a better chance of your rig still being up to whatever you wanna throw at it in the future.

No idea on the hardware, sorry. Listen to the others.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

sorry guys. what do you think if i chose the 4930k over the 3930k as 4930k is newer, so basically 4930k vs 4770k?

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

Hmmmmmm! Sounds like a very valid point, i do edits for bmxers and quite a lot of media content, but im well rounded as i also use it for office use aswell, if i were to go for the 3930k would it be futureproof? as apparently its 1.5 years old and also will the 2011 socket be futureproof aswell?

Socket 2011 will be around for quite a while

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

yeh it seems it! 2011 is used with ivy bridge-e, and sandybridge-e! Im leaning on choosing 2011 rather than 1150 its just i cant decide on whether i should choose 4770k or the 4930k, choosing 2011 seems to be overall more expensive baring in mind Mobo costs!

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

It sounds like you're ordering parts individually. 

Plan your whole system together first and order it together. You get a better value and a more balanced build that way.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've planned the build, but I'm just finding it tough to get the combo of mobo and CPU, I think I've chosen the 4930k and a asks formula iv board, but once I've saved the funds for them, if it ends up late then I'll wait out for Haswell-e as it has many features, what does everyone think? will it be socket 2011 next year for Haswell-e?

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

I've planned the build, but I'm just finding it tough to get the combo of mobo and CPU, I think I've chosen the 4930k and a asks formula iv board, but once I've saved the funds for them, if it ends up late then I'll wait out for Haswell-e as it has many features, what does everyone think? will it be socket 2011 next year for Haswell-e?

Don't save up funds and buy parts incrementally. By the time you get all your parts, things will be better and cheaper. You're better off saving up and planning right before you buy everything at once. 

I don't know about the socket.

Fyi, you need to quote a post to tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't save up funds and buy parts incrementally. By the time you get all your parts, things will be better and cheaper. You're better off saving up and planning right before you buy everything at once. 

Fyi, you need to quote a post to tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Oh okay thank you!

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

I think ive come to the resolution that im going to order a 4930k with a asus rampage extreme board, what does everyone think about this spec?

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

I think ive come to the resolution that im going to order a 4930k with a asus rampage extreme board, what does everyone think about this spec?

I'm unsure about your situation. Do you already have every other part?

I'm unsure about your situation. Do you already have every other part?

yeh i have all the parts, i only need the mobo and the cpu

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

yeh i have all the parts, i only need the mobo and the cpu

Alright, that sounds fine

Alright, that sounds fine

do you think the spec is fine? i was considering waiting for haswell-e but if i keep waiting then ill never end up building this tank!

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk

do you think the spec is fine? i was considering waiting for haswell-e but if i keep waiting then ill never end up building this tank!

There's not much better for spec. How are you cooling this?

There's not much better for spec. How are you cooling this?

when you mean theres not much better, do you mean that its high performance. Im going to watercool it mate

Build

Motherboard - Asus Rampage Extreme socket 2011

CPU - 4930k Intel i7 Socket 2011

SSD - 4 X 250GB Samsung Pro SSDS IN RAID 0

HDD - 2 X 3TB Western Digital Drives

GPU - GTX 780

Case - NZXT PHANTOM 820 MATTE Black

RAM - Dominator Platinum 32gb

LG Bluray Drive

Jayson Kandiah

www.acurasystems.co.uk