Best budget Quad-core CPU for LGA1150

Go to solution Solved by givingtnt,
29 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

Hello Webosphere! 

I have just settled into my new PC,  downloaded all my games and favorite programs, and I have a problem. As I am an aspiring content creator, I quickly familiarized myself with OBS. I have recorded several videos with it and I like how it operates. However,  I have a dual-core Pentium CPU. The Pentium G3258, to be exact. OBS does not like dual-cores. It wants four cores. So what is the best budget quad-core CPU for my platform? Or where can I get a good deal on one?

id go with an i5 4460

Hello Webosphere! 

I have just settled into my new PC,  downloaded all my games and favorite programs, and I have a problem. As I am an aspiring content creator, I quickly familiarized myself with OBS. I have recorded several videos with it and I like how it operates. However,  I have a dual-core Pentium CPU. The Pentium G3258, to be exact. OBS does not like dual-cores. It wants four cores. So what is the best budget quad-core CPU for my platform? Or where can I get a good deal on one?

Quote me if you want me to reply.

What motherboard do you have? Perferably any Haswell i5-4xxx (or if you can manage to swing it, then a Xeon E3 1231v3).

P.s. a G3258 is LGA1150, not LGA1151

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Oops, you're actually looking for an LGA1150 chip. My mistake. Thought you were upgrading the whole platform to Skylake.

i3-41XX chips are pretty hard to beat for the buck. If you need something a little beefier, an overclocked i5-4670K or 4690K would do the trick.

If you're going for value over low-cost, no question the Xeon E3 1231V3 is your chip. It's nowhere near as cheap as the i3, even a little pricier than the i5, but it's basically an i7-4770 without the overclocking ability or integrated graphics. If you don't plan to overclock and you have your own graphics card anyway, those issues are irrelevant.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

i5 4460 or hyperthreaded i3

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

i5 6500

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

P.s. a G3258 is LGA1150, not LGA1151

Fixed it. Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What motherboard do you have? Perferably any Haswell i5-4xxx (or if you can manage to swing it, then a Xeon E3 1231v3).

Msi Z97 PC Mate

From PCPartPicker, the cheapest i5 that can replace your G3258 is the i5-4460, for ~$180USD from (pcpartpickerIntel Ark)
If you want to bump that up to a hyperthreaded quad core, the cheapest are the E3-1230 V3 / E3-1231 V3 for ~$240USD (pcpartpicker, Intel Ark)

Just for the record, the cheapest i7 in the same generation is about $300USD

My username was supposed to be maxzhu273 but I typoed and the "x" was left out.

Made with love <3
                 -Cat

Well hello @infinitymdm what type of cpu are you looking into exactly? socket 1150 or 1151?

The newer skylake processors still offer compatibility with the older DDR3 so you can save yourself money there.

*I wrote a pretty rough idea of potential cpu's you could purchase but take your time & spend it wisely*

Spoiler

Haswell Devils-Canyon; 4690K or potentially the 4790K if you have the budget since you're motherboard is currently using the Z87/97 chipset, so compatibility is as easy as changing out your cpu, refitting your cpu cooler with a bit of thermal paste & update to the latest bios. Big bash bosh you're ready to start recording games since recording gameplays or streaming can take a toll on your cpu threads. If they're still sold on ebay or craigslist I guess buying a 4670K or 4770K wouldn't be so bad however be aware that the original revision had many issues with thermal-throttling etc.

With that said if you haven't the budget for a K' series sku search up on Intel do manufacture processors with features like hyper threading turned off so you save money buying a mid tier product like an i5 64XX

Having said that are you willing to upgrade to Z170 aka Skylake? There are still options to invest in the platform since it's still compatible with DDR3 on certain boards but they may/may not have features you'd like (I'm generalizing)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

24 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Oops, you're actually looking for an LGA1150 chip. My mistake. Thought you were upgrading the whole platform to Skylake.

i3-41XX chips are pretty hard to beat for the buck. If you need something a little beefier, an overclocked i5-4670K or 4690K would do the trick.

Is there not anything in between  the i3  and i5? I was hoping there was so. E obscure chip I hadn't heard of. 

3 minutes ago, wng_kingsley7 said:

Well hello @infinitymdm what type of cpu are you looking into exactly? socket 1150 or 1151?

The newer skylake processors still offer compatibility with the older DDR3 so you can save yourself money there.

*I wrote a pretty rough idea of potential cpu's you could purchase but take your time & spend it wisely*

Reveal hidden contents

Haswell Devils-Canyon; 4690K or potentially the 4790K if you have the budget since you're motherboard is currently using the Z87/97 chipset, so compatibility is as easy as changing out your cpu, refitting your cpu cooler with a bit of thermal paste & update to the latest bios. Big bash bosh you're ready to start recording games since recording gameplays or streaming can take a toll on your cpu threads. If they're still sold on ebay or craigslist I guess buying a 4670K or 4770K wouldn't be so bad however be aware that the original revision had many issues with thermal-throttling etc.

With that said if you haven't the budget for a K' series sku search up on Intel do manufacture processors with features like hyper threading turned off so you save money buying a mid tier product like an i5 64XX

Having said that are you willing to upgrade to Z170 aka Skylake? There are still options to invest in the platform since it's still compatible with DDR3 on certain boards but they may/may not have features you'd like (I'm generalizing)

It was my mistake. I meant LGA1150. 

29 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

Hello Webosphere! 

id go with an i5 4460

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

6 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

E obscure chip I hadn't heard of.

The Xeon E3-1230 v3 and E3-1231 v3 are server processors from Intel. The lower end Xeons are similar to Core i5 and i7's of the same generation.
Linus covers the Xeon vs i7 thing here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ59vHSFfZA

My username was supposed to be maxzhu273 but I typoed and the "x" was left out.

Made with love <3
                 -Cat

Just now, givingtnt said:

id go with an i5 4460

I was hoping this wouldn't be the answer, but seeing as so many of you suggested it, I suppose I'll have to save up a bit  and get it. Thanks to all for your advice! I really appreciate the help! 

4 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

It was my mistake. I meant LGA1150. 

What's the budget if you don't mind me asking?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

7 hours ago, wng_kingsley7 said:

What's the budget if you don't mind me asking?

I haven't really decided on a clear budget yet. I'm thinking more along the lines of "affordable".