Internet in different Countries?

stan92

What internet is avaliable in different countries?

@Liam-McShane internet speeds / cable / optic fiber etc what is their in different countries?

@Nicholas Marzio Im in Australia, im wondering how we stack up against others in the world....

Unless we speak countrys like North Korea or Iran, it's pretty much the same internet everywhere. Of course some countrys have censorship on certain websites, but is't still the same internet.

Edit: OK, I pretty much misunderstood the question. 

i don't think you can compare internet speeds and infrastructure on a country to country basis. You would probably have to look at areas of countrys the majority of the time. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

@Liam-McShane internet speeds / cable / optic fiber etc what is their in different countries?

@Nicholas Marzio Im in Australia, im wondering how we stack up against others in the world....

Australia is losing ground. In January of this year we were ranked 40th in terms of average internet speeds.

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

@zip2k4 yes im talking speed if you look through the post...

i did look at the posts, and i did get confused xD

but if this helps:

back in Seattle i get 40mbps down 15 up, now in aus i got 5mbps down 0.35 up

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

im pretty sure that every country has copper wires and some fiber and lots of 3g 4g shizz going on

but pretty much every1 in the world has like 10mb/s or less i think =D

GO ON SPEED TEST AND LOOOK AT THEIR SPEEEEDZZZZZZ

Every developed country has fast internet. The thing is, it's the price for speed that is really really good vs price that is really really bad. I highly highly recommend  looking for the best price to performance per region.

Countries that are massive like the USA, Canada and Australia tend to have ISPs that suck with the price to performance ratio vs smaller nations from what I noticed. For some people, 100mbps+ internet is common while the same price they pay for that in uber large countries might only get you a fraction of the speed.

@kushal171 10 megabits or 10 megabytes?

Megabits. It's always megabits when talking about ISP speeds.

Every developed country has fast internet. The thing is, it's the price for speed that is really really good vs price that is really really bad. I highly highly recommend  looking for the best price to performance per region.

That depends on what you mean by "fast Internet". I think the 2Gbps up/down service Sony is offering in Japan is fast. I don't think ~24Mbps is fast.

Anyway OP, there isn't really any good measurement of this. Lots of conflicting reports since they use different ways of measuring what the speeds are (for example Ookla only shows the average based on the ones who run their test). It also depends on where in the countries you look. For example here in Sweden we got a ton of people that has terrible Internet (especially up north where people live very spread out) and we also got a lot of people with gigabit Internet, so some reports shows Sweden as having very low average, and some show Sweden as having very high average. If you look in Stochholm, Sweden is great as far as ISPs goes. If you look at Norrbotten it's terrible.

It's pretty safe to say that South Korea and Japan has really good Internet infrastructure, while big countries (like Canada and Australia) have poor Internet infrastructure. Digging down the cables are the most expensive part of upgrading Internet infrastructure and big countries need to dig down more cable, so they are less likely upgrade as often.

Megabits. It's always megabits when talking about ISP speeds.

That depends on what you mean by "fast Internet". I think the 2Gbps up/down service Sony is offering in Japan is fast. I don't think ~24Mbps is fast.

Anyway OP, there isn't really any good measurement of this. Lots of conflicting reports since they use different ways of measuring what the speeds are (for example Ookla only shows the average based on the ones who run their test). It also depends on where in the countries you look. For example here in Sweden we got a ton of people that has terrible Internet (especially up north where people live very spread out) and we also got a lot of people with gigabit Internet, so some reports shows Sweden as having very low average, and some show Sweden as having very high average. If you look in Stochholm, Sweden is great as far as ISPs goes. If you look at Norrbotten it's terrible.

It's pretty safe to say that South Korea and Japan has really good Internet infrastructure, while big countries (like Canada and Australia) have poor Internet infrastructure. Digging down the cables are the most expensive part of upgrading Internet infrastructure and big countries need to dig down more cable, so they are less likely upgrade as often.

Example: Both my country (USA) and one notorious for bad ISPs (Australia) both have access to 1Gbps connections, which is fast. The thing is, the price we'd have to pay for that kinda speed. Outside of a very small handful of local ISPs and Google, there are no good deals with mainstream ISPs for that kind of speed unless you want to get ripped off. Same goes for Australia, you can get a 1gbps if you feel like paying as much as a house payment every month. In retrospect, you can get crazy speeds in other countries for considerably less.

True, but I don't Sweden, Norway or any other northern country needs to change the cable itself. Just the ends of the cables. From The Faroe Islands here, maximum speed for a private household is 20 down and 1 up... yes 1 up.

Also this country has the longest passive optical cable. (From Scotland to Faroe Islands) No amplifiers! Also to increases capacity of the cable, on the end points need to be changed, not the entire cable :o

Also don't talk about getting ripped off. We get ripped of.

We pay $90 (US dollars) a month for 20Mbit down and 1Mbit up

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Also don't talk about getting ripped off. We get ripped of.

My last ISP I was paying $52 a month for internet speeds that averaged 2-6mbps and often times would drop all the way down to sub dial-up speed depending on weather. I've actually had ping so bad that it was in the quad digits with that ISP....

Small countries with the majority of residents living in apartment buildings will dominate the "speedtest" because its easy to bring fiber into the building, more so there are an average of 2-3 providers that you can choose from even 5 or more in some cases. The competition between the ISP's is what drives the adoption of better speeds and lower prices compared to US where there are monopolies that just sit there and enjoy constant flow of money. I pay 10$ for 100/100 fiber and that's not even the lowest price i can get.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Small countries with the majority of residents living in apartment buildings will dominate the "speedtest" because its easy to bring fiber into the building, more so there are an average of 2-3 providers that you can choose from even 5 or more in some cases. The competition between the ISP's is what drives the adoption of better speeds and lower prices compared to US where there are monopolies that just sit there and enjoy constant flow of money. I pay 10$ for 100/100 fiber and that's not even the lowest price i can get.

@rufee wow $10 USD or what currency?

My last ISP I was paying $52 a month for internet speeds that averaged 2-6mbps and often times would drop all the way down to sub dial-up speed depending on weather. I've actually had ping so bad that it was in the quad digits with that ISP....

$70 for 5Mbit down and 512Kbit up. Same here if the weather is bad, we get bad connection.

Not to mention that anything outside "central" or northern EU we get pings of 100+ Which is bad for gaming.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

$70 for 5Mbit down and 512Kbit up. Same here if the weather is bad, we get bad connection.

Not to mention that anything outside "central" or northern EU we get pings of 100+ Which is bad for gaming.

The rest of the world needs to stop what they are doing and do good for their own people instead of causing conflict/simply ignoring their own citizens. We all deserve the type of speeds S.Koreans typically get for a price that isn't laughable. Some forum members here have amazing internet for a nice price and they don't even know how lucky they are.

@Mooshi please answer my questions;

1. What are S.Koreans?

2. What speeds do S.Koreans get?

It can also come very much down to where you are in australia... where i live for instance i average about 3mbs down on my copper ADSL. But for the company i work for we can often do cable fibre connections and even starting to do the NBN fibre optic connections and they're awesome. Im in FNQ so we mostly only have copper which is poor. and places like cities and bigger areas have better infrastructure. 

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -