Microsoft actively blocking torrent usage

*HUGE DISCLAIMER: " I do not endorse or recommend the usage of a torrent application for illegal use by any means. "

*Another one I don't want war in the response section about ethnical questions regarding piracy and/or legal use and distribution of media via a torrenting application.

Spoiler

So It has begun (in the Netherlands at least), goverments, isp's and Microsoft actively fighting piracy also targeting consumers. At the time of posting i had yet to find any articles regarding the subject, if my information is incorrect feel free to correct any mistakes. 

Today i opened My computer and opened my BIttorent client for no specific reason and all i got was a message displaying : "This app can't run on your pc To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." then i went to the Piratebay to see if something was up and it was taken down again.. I can't confirm if this is due to and actual crash, a ddos or a Kind letter sent by the government but i can't access it. now me suspecting something smelly going on here went to a torrent meta search engine, ( www.torrentz.eu) and when i searched for something bound by copyright laws it didn't find any results that where what i typed in.

I really don't know if this should be general discussion or a news topic because i could actually find any articles on the matter.

Spoiler

this.png.216eff52809debaa3dbfdb18b79a9df

I knew that some torrent sites are locking windows 10 users, but i was not able to acces the piratebay from my phone either. another thing is I am using insider preview and in the EULA it states (not exact quote): that microsoft is allowed to disable any pirated software or illegal software.

Edited by Freakstyler
added some more information to clear up some misconceptions, to move the image spoiler

pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie apple pie pie pie pie pie apple pie pie pie pie pie applepie pie pie pie pie pie applepiepie pie pie pie pie pie

Worth pointing out that some torrent sites are blocking Windows 10 users, over privacy concerns. Probably because the EULA for Windows 10 allows Windows to check your system for pirated/bootleg games and hardware (never heard of bootlegged hardware....apparently that's a thing?).

http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-checks-pirate-bay-torrents-bootleg-games-hardware-automatically-2056054

http://www.zdnet.com/article/bittorrent-tracker-blocks-windows-10-users/

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have not noticed anything on my computer and this is the first time I hear about it, so I don't want to jump to conclusions.

However, if this is actually Microsoft targeting torrent users then that's a really shitty move by Microsoft. They have no business scanning through my computer and deleting programs just because they don't like them. I should decide what to run on my computer, not them.

MS "cannot" block torrent clients

torrent clients have very legitimate use - you can download tons of legal stuff via torrent, it's generally faster; prime example, Linux distros

other examples: quite a lot of on-line game clients use the torrent protocol for distributing the content

MS could block certain software for security reasons, for having ad-ware in them and whatnot

Well, I'm from the Netherlands, on windows 10 and using BitTorrent without any problems.

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I have not noticed anything on my computer and this is the first time I hear about it, so I don't want to jump to conclusions.

However, if this is actually Microsoft targeting torrent users then that's a really shitty move by Microsoft. They have no business scanning through my computer and deleting programs just because they don't like them. I should decide what to run on my computer, not them.

They absolutely do, because you agreed to it by agreeing to the EULA.

http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-checks-pirate-bay-torrents-bootleg-games-hardware-automatically-2056054

They can also disable hardware that they don't approve of.

I wouldnt be surprised if they would try that, but they are currently not blocking anything you have some good source for this or just another senzational post?

Just now, deviant88 said:

I wouldnt be surprised if they would try that, but they are currently not blocking anything you have some good source for this or just another senzational post?

I believe the OP is the source, and is claiming that it is happening to him.

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

I love how somehow Microsoft is the one catching the blame here. Fucking circlejerk, reminds me of pcmasterrace.

Who else would be to blame for remotely removing a program on your Windows 10 PC?

If it is happening, then it is Microsoft's fault.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Who else would be to blame for remotely removing a program on your Windows 10 PC?

If it is happening, then it is Microsoft's fault.

And the end user for not realizing what was in the EULA

I don't think MS would do this as there would be huge backlash, at least coming from the enthusiast and hobby groups. Pretty far stretch IMO. Personally I'm going to wait for a big group of people claiming this happens than a far few. It's probably just W10 acting up or something.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

MS "cannot" block torrent clients

torrent clients have very legitimate use - you can download tons of legal stuff via torrent, it's generally faster; prime example, Linux distros

other examples: quite a lot of on-line game clients use the torrent protocol for distributing the content

MS could block certain software for security reasons, for having ad-ware in them and whatnot

So, MS could block piracy and people downloading Linux. It's a win-win for them! #tinfoilhat /s

Use Tixati as your torrent client, and never have problems again.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

23 minutes ago, EChondo said:

I don't think MS would do this as there would be huge backlash

Ah, but you're forgetting this is Microsoft.

.. who responded to the outcry over the lack of a 'start button' launch to what is basically a folder-based DOS-UI..
by saying more or less..
We knew most users would not like or want this change, and that it would anger the majority of our customers.
But it's what we Wanted to do, so NYA!

Better to wait for larger group of people on report, if it happens, to not jump to conclusions. Either way, if so, it could backlash badly.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

58 minutes ago, EChondo said:

I don't think MS would do this as there would be huge backlash, at least coming from the enthusiast and hobby groups. Pretty far stretch IMO. Personally I'm going to wait for a big group of people claiming this happens than a far few. It's probably just W10 acting up or something.

So, MS could block piracy and people downloading Linux. It's a win-win for them! #tinfoilhat /s

The EULA does include a clause allowing them to disable anything on your system that they don't like (software and hardware). See the links I posted above.

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Probably because the EULA for Windows 10 allows Windows to check your system for pirated/bootleg games and hardware

Those blogs may be wrong, searching deeper in Microsoft's EULA, it looks like section 7b refers to Xbox, Xbox Live and Windows Games published by MS, not Win10

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3h5wwg/windows_10_disabling_pirated_software_not_so_fast/

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

1 minute ago, Cryosec said:

Those blogs may be wrong, searching deeper in Microsoft's EULA, it looks like section 7b refers to Xbox, Xbox Live and Windows Games published by MS, not Win10

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3h5wwg/windows_10_disabling_pirated_software_not_so_fast/

That could be, but at this point, I wouldn't put it past M$ to try it. Especially considering how much money the big anti-piracy organizations would pay them to do it.

52 minutes ago, Looniper said:

Ah, but you're forgetting this is Microsoft.

.. who responded to the outcry over the lack of a 'start button' launch to what is basically a folder-based DOS-UI..
by saying more or less..
We knew most users would not like or want this change, and that it would anger the majority of our customers.
But it's what we Wanted to do, so NYA!

Yes, but removing the Start Button/Menu and outright blocking you from using a program are entirely two different things. 

28 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The EULA does include a clause allowing them to disable anything on your system that they don't like (software and hardware). See the links I posted above.

Sure, but again, if they did forcefully block you from using any program there would be backlash and Microsoft would not do that when they have enough backlash already. They could totally do it as per the EULA, but they won't because it'll be suicide for them, tons of people would either install Windows 7/8 or go to Linux if that were to happen.

the moment you install W10 on your machine you automatically give ownership of your computer to MS, and they can do whatever they want with their property. People shouldn't complain, they decided of their own free will to buy/download/preinstall the OS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Why you guys don't do your research? It take a minute.

Works fine

What's next, "Windows blocks MP3s"... like in Vista. Come on guys.

Remember back when I posted how an update was deleting programs for me and doing a bunch of other shady crap? You know, the post you responded to with "Why is it only LAwLz that has these problems?"? Then stories about the same thing happening to others started appearing? Yeah... I am going to wait this one out before jumping to conclusions. I recommend you do the same thing.

It might be bogus, but it might also be something they are rolling out in stages, or a regional thing. Maybe they are only doing it to specific clients (or versions of clients) right now. We don't know yet.