Add Google Authenticator Backup Login

Can we have some alternate method of recovery if we lose access to Google Authenticator? Like, I get that 2-factor authentication is good BECAUSE of it's difficulty to steal and circumvent, but it's a total pain to recover if you lose your device, or if the device breaks.

My last phone had my Google Authentication for the forum on it, and when it spontaneously died on me, I completely lost access to my original LTT forum account (RezidentSeagull), which is just... balls.

Can we maybe have some way to either supplement Google Authenticator in case of missing access (i.e. SMS messages like how Google supplements its own account logins) or a way to disable it temporarily, like how Lastpass does it, for example?

Okay, I took a look and at least we can print out one-use backup codes for the future,,, still, I would love for a more accessible option to be added in the future, so that the dumb, unfortunate souls (like me) don't get locked out of their accounts with no way back in.

4 hours ago, AlternateSeagull said:

Okay, I took a look and at least we can print out one-use backup codes for the future,,, still, I would love for a more accessible option to be added in the future, so that the dumb, unfortunate souls (like me) don't get locked out of their accounts with no way back in.

You can always send/open support ticket to administrators. That can be done even when you aren't logged in.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

We offer more than most sites by allowing you to get codes by email or by having printed out codes. What other options do you want?

If you do get locked out and can verify your identity, you can use the contact form, and an administrator can reset 2fa for you. 

HTTP/2 203

14 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

We offer more than most sites by allowing you to get codes by email or by having printed out codes. What other options do you want?

If you do get locked out and can verify your identity, you can use the contact form, and an administrator can reset 2fa for you. 

How does the codes by email option work? I enabled it in the Two-factor Authentication settings tab, but I don't seem to get any related emails when I try testing it out on a login requiring authentication codes. And where is the contact form located? Is it just the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page?

3 hours ago, AlternateSeagull said:

How does the codes by email option work? I enabled it in the Two-factor Authentication settings tab, but I don't seem to get any related emails when I try testing it out on a login requiring authentication codes. And where is the contact form located? Is it just the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page?

When you're prompted for codes, there should be multiple tabs - "Authenticator App", something about backup codes, and something about email authentication, depending on the enabled methods. 

HTTP/2 203