Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, Pineapple Wolf said:

I'll be getting a pair of Audeze LCD-2's soon, I have a maximus ranger vi for onboard audio.

Do you think I'll need a amp and or dac? Might be a bit silly for me to get these headphones and not get as good of an experience as I can for them.

If so could you recommend something for me to get, I live in the UK btw

Try with onboard of course first, but it will most likely not be able to power them a schiit magni 2 should do the trick.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Try with onboard of course first, but it will most likely not be able to power them a schiit magni 2 should do the trick.

Would that be the amp you recommend? I've been looking at the Schiit stuff but is there anything else? Heard mixed things about schiit

5 minutes ago, Pineapple Wolf said:

Would that be the amp you recommend? I've been looking at the Schiit stuff but is there anything else? Heard mixed things about schiit

The schiit magni 2 is really really hard to beat for the price and it even beats amps that cost much more. Schiit is maybe the best value brand with high quality.

Yeah that is the amp I recomend going with. Maybe take the uber version.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, SSL said:

I would recommend adding the Syba Sonic DAC: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-DAC63057-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B009WN7QT4

SMSL SD793-II should be on here for combo units: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM

SMSL sAp-II is a good option for people who need nothing but a cheap, powerful amp: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-sApII-TPA6120A2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00J2PJQ0O

God damn. How did I forget about the two SMSL, I will add this :) Thanks!

15 minutes ago, SSL said:

I would recommend adding the Syba Sonic DAC: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-DAC63057-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B009WN7QT4

SMSL SD793-II should be on here for combo units: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM

SMSL sAp-II is a good option for people who need nothing but a cheap, powerful amp: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-sApII-TPA6120A2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00J2PJQ0O

I just added them and cleaned my post a bit up.

@Dackzy

Hi , I'm currently running a schiit lyr 2 to drive my he 500, and I just wanted to ask your thoughts and that pairing.

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Tattsyrupmk2 said:

@Dackzy

Hi , I'm currently running a schiit lyr 2 to drive my he 500, and I just wanted to ask your thoughts and that pairing.

Thanks

It's good :)

1 hour ago, Tattsyrupmk2 said:

@Dackzy

Thanks

A bit overkill, 6W is basically overkill for anything except for HE-6's, but nothings wrong with more power.  I hear the stock tubes are a bit meh though so maybe look to rolling some others in the future.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

8 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

A bit overkill, 6W is basically overkill for anything except for HE-6's, but nothings wrong with more power.  I hear the stock tubes are a bit meh though so maybe look to rolling some others in the future.

oh yeah the tubes it comes with are not the best, but that should not be that expensive to change.

On 5/5/2016 at 5:31 PM, SSL said:

The Syba is really bad. It's worse than most onboard stuff. SMSL is OK.

7 minutes ago, MayflowerElectronics said:

Well okay then.

58 minutes ago, MayflowerElectronics said:

Oh shiiiit! ShearMe always recommended it, for the HD 650 no less. I guess his credibility just took a hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the FiiO E10K good for an entry level DAC/AMP combo (under $100 USD). If not, please help. Z Review doesn't like it, and I am the sort of person that if one person doesn't like it, it makes it very hard for me to get unless someone else convinces me. What do higher end DACs and AMPs do anyway (apart from more power for high impedance headphones). Also, any benefits to getting separate AMPs and DACs or vice-versa? Clutter and space is not an issue, and I think both can look just as good aesthetically.

7 minutes ago, GArmyHD said:

Is the FiiO E10K good for an entry level DAC/AMP combo (under $100 USD). If not, please help. Z Review doesn't like it, and I am the sort of person that if one person doesn't like it, it makes it very hard for me to get unless someone else convinces me. What do higher end DACs and AMPs do anyway (apart from more power for high impedance headphones). Also, any benefits to getting separate AMPs and DACs or vice-versa? Clutter and space is not an issue, and I think both can look just as good aesthetically.

Well a combo will most of the time be a bit more expensive than a seperate dac and amp. The E10k is not the best. A DAC is something alot of people wont notice if you upgrade it and so is a amp unless it is to a tube amp or you can't power the headphones. The micca origen is pretty good for the size and price, but that is also about 110$ and so is the Monoprice 111567. Do you really need the dac part?

Don't know yet. Just thinking for upgrade potential.

15 hours ago, GArmyHD said:

"Zeos" is a hack shill. I would not put a lot of store in what he does or does not like.

What headphones do you have right now, and what are you thinking about upgrading to? In generall I recommend that people who are spending less than $200 not bother with a DAC or amp unless their motherboard is absolutely terrible.

Apple 'EarPods'... I am thinking about getting the K7XXs and I will use them for about a year I think, and then get a DAC and AMP to improve (even if it is slightly) my audio.

3 hours ago, GArmyHD said:

Apple 'EarPods'... I am thinking about getting the K7XXs and I will use them for about a year I think, and then get a DAC and AMP to improve (even if it is slightly) my audio.

the best value is a schiit stack(magni2 and modi 2), but I don't think that you need one.

How goes it in the audio bunker?  Does head-fi still suck?  I've been out of the loop playing video games too long.  And working.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

14 minutes ago, h264 said:

How goes it in the audio bunker?  Does head-fi still suck?  I've been out of the loop playing video games too long.  And working.

what?

3 hours ago, h264 said:

Same old pretty much. Some new faces, but the M50X still gets recommended at least twice a day.

5 hours ago, h264 said:

Head fi is still Head fi. So yeah it does.

But there are still (some) educated people who stick around here to fix the masses of people who pretend they know things.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7 minutes ago, spwath said:

But there are still (some) educated people who stick around here to fix the masses of people who pretend they know things.

I expect that you mean me :D 

14 minutes ago, spwath said:

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I expect that you mean me :D 

I am just going to lie down and cry now...

jk