Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, SuicideAnomaly said:

Nice!:D

Yeah :D

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Could throw this in the recommended small combos http://www.amazon.com/K1-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Titanium/dp/B0189EVGAG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1457073050&sr=8-1&keywords=k1+fiio&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=921a55c8ab57b555a1f00b077af5eb44

For $40 USD right now that's a good deal, even though it doesn't work with phones.

Spoiler

Computer: I7-8700 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Z370 HD3 | XFX RX Vega 64 | LPX 16GB 3000mhz | 250GB 850 Evo | 3TB Hitachi HDD | Mobo Box Case (for now) | EVGA 1300w G2

Monitors: MSI Optix G24C 144hz | LG 24" 1080p 

Mouse & Keyboard: Logitech G403 & G413 Carbon

Audio: Fostex T50RP Mk3 | Micca Origen+

15 minutes ago, shakenbreak said:

Could throw this in the recommended small combos http://www.amazon.com/K1-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Titanium/dp/B0189EVGAG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1457073050&sr=8-1&keywords=k1+fiio&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=921a55c8ab57b555a1f00b077af5eb44

For $40 USD right now that's a good deal, even though it doesn't work with phones.

I will do some research and if it is good I will put it in 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

18 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I will do some research and if it is good I will put it in 

I'm new to all of this stuff but I found it in this video 

He touches on it in the beginning before going on to the K5.

Spoiler

Computer: I7-8700 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Z370 HD3 | XFX RX Vega 64 | LPX 16GB 3000mhz | 250GB 850 Evo | 3TB Hitachi HDD | Mobo Box Case (for now) | EVGA 1300w G2

Monitors: MSI Optix G24C 144hz | LG 24" 1080p 

Mouse & Keyboard: Logitech G403 & G413 Carbon

Audio: Fostex T50RP Mk3 | Micca Origen+

40 minutes ago, shakenbreak said:

I'm new to all of this stuff but I found it in this video 

He touches on it in the beginning before going on to the K5.

You should take what he says with a grain of salt.

11 hours ago, shakenbreak said:

SNIP

I added it but I will not recomend it if you can buy one of the other combos or singel amps and dacs.

Muahahahaha give me them views. Hmmppff What? You did not see that.

Noticed you had ?? marks on the EU distribution for the O2/ODAC's. We shipped some models up with Tek Syndicate to the Amazon.UK website - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tek+syndicate+odac

If the demand is there we'll ship down other models that are cheaper.

Just now, MayflowerElectronics said:

Noticed you had ?? marks on the EU distribution for the O2/ODAC's. We shipped some models up with Tek Syndicate to the Amazon.UK website - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tek+syndicate+odac

If the demand is there we'll ship down other models that are cheaper.

HOLY F I did not expect you guys to comment goddamn man. How did you hear about this post?

Ps. I love your things :) 

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

HOLY F I did not expect you guys to comment goddamn man. How did you hear about this post?

Ps. I love your things :) 

He browses the audio subforum here once in a blue moon.

In unrelated news, some guy replied to a comment I made ages ago about balanced cables and how they wouldn't really make a difference (balanced gives 'cleaner and more power' somehow, maybe he wants to power an airplane with his headphone amp). Asked him for a clear response, and he just linked me to a random video. Then I realized he's the same Youtuber I collided with in the past who denounced double-blind testing. Glad to have a good excuse for ending the conversation. And so, I ran back to LTT audio subsection to recuperate.

hai

ye, i know, you didn't ask for my story but i had to overshare

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Just now, Dark_wizzie said:

In unrelated news, some guy replied to a comment I made ages ago about balanced cables and how they wouldn't really make a difference. Asked him for a clear response, and he just linked me to a random video. Then I realized he's the same Youtuber I collided with in the past who denounced double-blind testing. Glad to have a good excuse for ending the conversation. And so, I ran back to LTT audio subsection to recuperate.

hai

ye, i know, you didn't ask for my story but i had to overshare

Well okay then. I dont know what to say about this.

Anyways, it's conceivable that onboard audio would sound worse compared to a truly transparent source. I don't think onboard's on that level, to the point where if anybody says there's a difference, they're bullshitting. I do believe a simple basic Schiit stack of Objective combo is enough to truly be transparent. However, reports of improvements in audio from switching to those are exaggerated, and many people can't hear a difference to begin with. All things considered I think it's a good idea to not recommend these solutions unless we're communicating very precisely and clearly about what to and not to expect when purchasing these things. There's no shame in saying you can't hear a difference. It reminds me of when I went to my friend's house and looked at his monitor. It was clear to me that the monitor was flickering, yet none of his family could see it. It would be absurd for him to try desperately to see the flicker because I can and he can't.

It's weird to have Youtubers (eg people on PCPer) make fun of people who believe in magic cables, only to turn around and rave about HD tracks and expensive amps.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Just now, Dark_wizzie said:

Anyways, it's conceivable that onboard audio would sound worse compared to a truly transparent source. I don't think onboard's on that level, to the point where if anybody says there's a difference, they're bullshitting. I do believe a simple basic Schiit stack of Objective combo is enough to truly be transparent. However, reports of improvements in audio from switching to those are exaggerated, and many people can't hear a difference to begin with. All things considered I think it's a good idea to not recommend these solutions unless we're communicating very precisely and clearly about what to and not to expect when purchasing these things.

It's weird to have Youtubers (eg people on PCPer) make fun of people who believe in magic cables, only to turn around and rave about HD tracks and expensive amps.

Well I will say that if you buy motherboards with really good audio on them like my Asus formula VI, they will not notice a difference in sound. I would love if people look at the build in audio more when they buy motherboards because it can save them a lot of money.

The only reason I have my Objective combo is because I go to lans where there are sponsored pc's with crap audio, so if people get motherboard with as good quality as mine has or better they will not need to look at amps and dacs, atleast if they don't have noise in their sound.

Well all groups of people have those hypocrites if I dare to call them that.

18 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well I will say that if you buy motherboards with really good audio on them like my Asus formula VI, they will not notice a difference in sound.

We'll have to disagree on that. There are even people who can differentiate between lossless and a good MP3 file. Very rare to find such people, and only in some cases, for sure. But some people do have better senses than others. (Although, to have above-average ability to discern changes in audio quality by definition means only a minority of people possess such an ability, so as I mentioned earlier, care has to be taken when giving out advice to the general public.) Also, I wonder about the output impedance of onboard. If it's too high, sensitive earphones could have some distortion. Or, I can go the other extreme and bring up the HE-6s. And some other factors maybe. So I think the stance of not recommending aftermarket dac/amps is a good idea generally but there are edge cases which are the exception to the rule.

Either way, both of our positions are far more reasonable than what most people take.

Well all groups of people have those hypocrites if I dare to call them that.

In some ways I suppose it's accurate to accuse them of being hypocrites. A half-defense would be that we all have our blind spots. We've all accused others of not being skeptical enough, only to fall for the same mistake somewhere else. Here they're both audio related, so it's less of an excuse. It's as if, "the mainstream media" is saying that cables are placebo, but expensive-ass amps and dacs are not. I wonder if Sebastian Peak of PCPer understands the arguments against 24bit tracks. Then again, if he's going to write about audio, present himself as an authority figure on the subject, and get paid doing it, surely he has more responsibility than you or I to make sure the information being presented is correct.

It's a sad day when hobbyists can routinely correct professionals. Sadly it is the case for a lot of Youtube reviews, and audio in particular.

13 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

We'll have to disagree on that. There are even people who can differentiate between lossless and a good MP3 file. Very rare to find such people, and only in some cases, for sure. But some people do have better senses than others. (Although, to have above-average ability to discern changes in audio quality by definition means only a minority of people possess such an ability, so as I mentioned earlier, care has to be taken when giving out advice to the general public.) Also, I wonder about the output impedance of onboard. If it's too high, sensitive earphones could have some distortion. Or, I can go the other extreme and bring up the HE-6s. And some other factors maybe. So I think the stance of not recommending aftermarket dac/amps is a good idea generally but there are edge cases which are the exception to the rule.

Either way, both of our positions are far more reasonable than what most people take.

I can drive the HE560 and HD600/650 from my onboard, but yeah there are a cases where it's a good idea to get a amp and dac.

15 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

In some ways I suppose it's accurate to accuse them of being hypocrites. A half-defense would be that we all have our blind spots. We've all accused others of not being skeptical enough, only to fall for the same mistake somewhere else. Here they're both audio related, so it's less of an excuse. It's as if, "the mainstream media" is saying that cables are placebo, but expensive-ass amps and dacs are not. I wonder if Sebastian Peak of PCPer understands the arguments against 24bit tracks. Then again, if he's going to write about audio, present himself as an authority figure on the subject, and get paid doing it, surely he has more responsibility than you or I to make sure the information being presented is correct.

I think most of the people who let's say recommend a really high end usb cable are doing it to justify their buy or are trying to get people to buy there things.

17 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

It's a sad day when hobbyists can routinely correct professionals. Sadly it is the case for a lot of Youtube reviews, and audio in particular.

Well many times a hobbyist cares more about the facts and what you get in the real world than a professional because they have to pay for their own things while many professionals have their things sponsored. (it's fun to correct professionals and youtubers xD )

God damn it's nice to have an intelligent conversation with you

1 hour ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Just being a sadboy seeing as how the subforum has pretty much completely turned against the O2 and ODAC as a value proposition :P

BTW @MayflowerElectronics is that Objective Desktop Amp still on the table, or is the cost just too high?

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

4 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

Just being a sadboy seeing as how the subforum has pretty much completely turned against the O2 and ODAC as a value proposition :P

BTW @MayflowerElectronics is that Objective Desktop Amp still on the table, or is the cost just too high?

Well Schiit came and the objective went out for some reason.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

God damn it's nice to have an intelligent conversation with you

^_^

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well Schiit came and the objective went out for some reason.

Basic Schiit stack is cheaper and it's very unlikely anybody will ever tell the difference, so I see the logic in that. My siggy shows my true allegiance though.

13 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

sad panda is very sad

Last I saw was Tyler's Tweet, showing a picture of one in construction I believe. That was many, many months ago.

1 hour ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Basic Schiit stack is cheaper and it's very unlikely anybody will ever tell the difference, so I see the logic in that. My siggy shows my true allegiance though.

True :) 

On 08/03/2016 at 1:48 AM, Dackzy said:

Okay guys I have seen a lot of people on here is starting to wanting to buy amps and dacs and let me just explain to you guys why you need one and why you dont need one. This is going to be very basic and generalised.

Reasons to get a DAC.

1. Noise in your sound

2. Your onboard makes the sound warm or cold sounding

3. Over all low quality sound coming from your onboard

4. Can look nice

Reasons to NOT get a DAC.

1. No noise.

2. No coloring in your onboard.

3. You already have transparent sound. ( kinda the same as Nr. 2)

4. Takes up space.

5. You will need to buy an amp.

Reasons to get a AMP.

1. You cant power your headphones. (your headphones don't get loud enough)

2. Your headphones sound muddy only at that pc (kinda the same as Nr. 1)

3. Can look nice.

4. You want to try tube sound.

Reasons to NOT get a AMP.

1. You can power your headphones.

2. Takes up space.

Most motherboards on the market to day can power 90%-95% of all the headphones on the market. A dac and amp will not make your headphones better if you already have transparent sound and they are powered properly.

Save the money and get better headphones if you are unhappy by the sound you have in your headphones.

Ohm does not say if your headphones are hard to drive or not.

If you need an amp or dac look at products from Schiit they are very good and fairly priced. 

Different explanations (keeping it simple)

Noise: you have crakling or some other sound that should not be there.

Warm sound: You have more bass and lower mids in your sound when you use your headphones with that pc.

Cold sound: You have more treble and less bass in your sound when you use your headphones with that pc.

Coloring: Well your soundcard adds treble/bass/mids.

Transparent: your soundcard does not add any extra treble/bass/mids to the sound.

Tube amp/tube sound: A tube amp generally makes the sound smoother and warmer because it distorts the sound.

Before you go buy an amp for some headphones you just orded wait get the headphones and test them with your onboard before you go spend money on a amp.

Before you go buy an dac amp combo, if you already has transparent sound and you have nothing wrong with your onboard dac then you will not notice a difference between your onboard and a dac and if you buy an dac you will need an amp.

Only look down here if you really need an dac and amp or just an amp

I have used amazon.de and amazon.com for every product that is not from Schiit where I used their own webshop

My recommendations for desktop amps:

1. Schiit magni 2 EU= 120€ US= 99$

2. Schiit magni 2 Uber EU= 175€ US= 149$

3. Objective 2  EU=?? US=139$

4. Schiit vali 2 with lisst tubes (tube)  EU= 284€ US= 268$

5. Fiio K5 EU= 149€ US= 110$

6. Schiit asgard 2 EU= 269€ US= 249$

7. Little Dot MK2 MKII (tube) EU= 185€  US= 185-200$

My recommendations for desktop dacs:

1. Schiit modi 2 EU= 123€ US= 99$

2. Schiit modi 2 Uber EU= 175€ US= 149$

3. Objective Dac EU=?? US= 149$

4. SMSL Sanskrit 6th (this dac has been known for having a usb port that doesn't work properly, but it is good if you get one without the problem) EU= 110€ US= 105$

My recommendations for desktop Combos:

1. Objective combo EU= 259£ or 301£ (depending on what model you get, this is from amazon.co.uk) US= 275-290$

2. Monoprice 111567 Desktop Headphone Amplifier EU= ?? US= 113$

3. micca origen EU=??  US= 110$

My recommendations for small Combos that run on usb only:

1. Schiit Fulla EU= 99€ US= 79$

2. Audioquest DragonFly EU= 148€ US= 149$

3. Fiio k1 EU= 50€ US= 40$ (on sale) 100$ (this is for you guys that are on a low budget)

FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS POST :) 

Just an amp to make my headphones louder? :>

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

16 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

Just an amp to make my headphones louder? :>

I like Schiit magni 2 and objective 2 the most but how much are you willing to spend

10 hours ago, Pomfinator said:

The O2 philosophy has ultimately worked against the product. The notion of audible transparency means that it if an audibly indistinguishable product comes along for cheaper, the O2 is automatically rendered obsolete.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

The O2 philosophy has ultimately worked against the product. The notion of audible transparency means that it if an audibly indistinguishable product comes along for cheaper, the O2 is automatically rendered obsolete.

Against the product, probably.  The O2 really shouldn't have had the kind of widespread adoption it has now, but because nwavguy went AWOL before he ever finished the real ODA, got stuck with it *shrug*.  It would be interesting to hear what Nwavguy's thoughts are on the current state of things are now, but alas he has been silenced by a greater power.

Wish Schiit made some more of those black powder coat chassis's, apparently according to Jason, they didn't sell very well so they decided to not ever consider black finishes ever again.  Not that I'm that fickle for consistency, but when my keyboard, monitor, mouse, and mousemat are black, something silver really sticks out.

Speakers - KEF LSX

I think I may have a problem...  For some reason I've been itching to try out the Asgard 2 and compare it to my O2, and just now emotion has overruled my reason and I've ordered one.  So...uh...nice looking volume knobs get you sales? I dunno.

Guess I'll write something up about it, don't think anyone here has an Asgard 2, unless I'm missing someone.

Speakers - KEF LSX

49 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

I think I may have a problem...  For some reason I've been itching to try out the Asgard 2 and compare it to my O2, and just now emotion has overruled my reason and I've ordered one.  So...uh...nice looking volume knobs get you sales? I dunno.

Guess I'll write something up about it, don't think anyone here has an Asgard 2, unless I'm missing someone.

I've been eye-baling the Lyr 2, so ... yeah. A problem.