Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dackzy

Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Was this thread helpful?  

341 members have voted

  1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

    • Yes
      313
    • No
      24


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I wouldn't call the NFB 11.28 neutral, it defiantly has some warmth to it

I have tried the HD 800 both with and without the Superdupont mod with my ADI 2 DAC and they play really nicely together, it is quite amazing.

RME recommends that you use the USB port on their devices.

 

Also if you need a ADC, then get the Pro model, since the DAC doesn't have that.

Well, I don't need the ADC part... though I was kinda thinking of trying to pull off an "AIO" solution in a sense that I want to route the rca outs on my UMC204 to something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055EBH5S/?tag=pcpapi-20 and run it through coaxial or optical to the DAC (I know, it looks like a mismatch, pairing a cheap audio interface to a $1K Dac, its weird) since I saw the price on the Babyface Pro... and... yeah, its hard to justify IMHO since I don't necessarily do professional recordings and what not as I do recordings for covers and what not, and I was hoping that when I do use it for monitoring if it would add more latency on monitoring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-05-25 at 3:09 AM, InvertedEar said:

Well, I don't need the ADC part... though I was kinda thinking of trying to pull off an "AIO" solution in a sense that I want to route the rca outs on my UMC204 to something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055EBH5S/?tag=pcpapi-20 and run it through coaxial or optical to the DAC (I know, it looks like a mismatch, pairing a cheap audio interface to a $1K Dac, its weird) since I saw the price on the Babyface Pro... and... yeah, its hard to justify IMHO since I don't necessarily do professional recordings and what not as I do recordings for covers and what not, and I was hoping that when I do use it for monitoring if it would add more latency on monitoring.

Christ on a cracker! This thread is getting deep & esoteric. Hell yeah!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

Christ on a cracker! This thread is getting deep & esoteric. Hell yeah!

I'm lost, what's that supposed to mean? If you don't mind me asking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, InvertedEar said:

I'm lost, what's that supposed to mean? If you don't mind me asking.

I forget how tone deaf electronic forums entries can be. I regret that. I'm enjoying reading the discussion. Nothing more. Cool?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2018 at 11:06 PM, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

I forget how tone deaf electronic forums entries can be. I regret that. I'm enjoying reading the discussion. Nothing more. Cool?

Sorry bout that, its just that sometimes forums and discord servers have a tendency to have peeps either sound serious or sarcastic and I find it sometimes getting harder to differentiate between the two.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the market for a DAC/amp due to some static coming from my mobo audio. Right now, I have a pair of HD558s and who knows when those will get upgraded. 

Would it make sense to opt for a Magni 2 and Modi 2(b stock because price) over a Fulla 2 in case of future upgrade?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

I'm in the market for a DAC/amp due to some static coming from my mobo audio. Right now, I have a pair of HD558s and who knows when those will get upgraded. 

Would it make sense to opt for a Magni 2 and Modi 2(b stock because price) over a Fulla 2 in case of future upgrade?

I would only get the magni and modi if you plan on getting some better headphones, it not, then yeah just get the fulla 2


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 3:05 AM, Dackzy said:

I would only get the magni and modi if you plan on getting some better headphones, it not, then yeah just get the fulla 2

Maybe one year a headphone upgrade will happen. Thanks for the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2018 at 8:05 AM, Dackzy said:

I would only get the magni and modi if you plan on getting some better headphones, it not, then yeah just get the fulla 2

Where would you draw the line at "better headphones"? I have the HD650S and trying to decide between the fulla2 or Magni 3/Modi 2 myself, on the fence about which to get. I'm pretty new to the headphone market, and have never bought a DAC/AMP before.


CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
41 minutes ago, Tartandy said:

Where would you draw the line at "better headphones"? I have the HD650S and trying to decide between the fulla2 or Magni 3/Modi 2 myself, on the fence about which to get. I'm pretty new to the headphone market, and have never bought a DAC/AMP before.

I would deffiintly get the magni 3 and the modi 2, maybe even the modi 2 uber for that.

 

Where you draw the line is really up to you. I look at the technical abilities of a headphone, like the timbre, mids, detail, imaging and scaling is all pretty good with a headphone like the HD650, so I wouldn't personally mind spending a bit more on a nicer DAC and amp for those, since they can actually take advance of the cleaner and more detailed signal. If you had a headphone that had poor technical abilities like SPH 9500, HD 518, HD 558 and so on, then I would at most get a fulla 2, but only if onboard is noisy. If it had bad technical abilities, like Beats and Bose, then I wouldn't buy anything for them, unless onboard was noisy, but then I would just get the cheapest thing that isn't noisy. 


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the read. 

I'm an audio noob. 

Could you or someone else please make a thread about what makes headphones better for music, gaming, or theater? 

What to look for in specs, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WalPOW said:

Thanks for the read. 

I'm an audio noob. 

Could you or someone else please make a thread about what makes headphones better for music, gaming, or theater? 

What to look for in specs, etc. 

Most questions about specifications are answered in the FAQ thread:

 

Unfortunatly, it would be almost impossible to make a thread recommending specific headphones for specific tasks.

What one person looks for in a pair of gaming headphones, for example, could very well be what another person actively avoids.

The subjective element would simply be too big to make a thread of any real substance. Giving individual recommendations seems to still be our best bet.

 

Although, you are giving me an idea.

It could be interesting looking at what EQ presets actually do to the sound, then try to explain why it's done that way and then give ways to replicate the preset.


Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I would deffiintly get the magni 3 and the modi 2, maybe even the modi 2 uber for that.

 

Where you draw the line is really up to you. I look at the technical abilities of a headphone, like the timbre, mids, detail, imaging and scaling is all pretty good with a headphone like the HD650, so I wouldn't personally mind spending a bit more on a nicer DAC and amp for those, since they can actually take advance of the cleaner and more detailed signal. If you had a headphone that had poor technical abilities like SPH 9500, HD 518, HD 558 and so on, then I would at most get a fulla 2, but only if onboard is noisy. If it had bad technical abilities, like Beats and Bose, then I wouldn't buy anything for them, unless onboard was noisy, but then I would just get the cheapest thing that isn't noisy. 

Great! You really have an ocean of knowledge on headphones by the sound of it.


CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, ButsAndNolts said:

What's your opinion on the Rupert Neve Headphone Amp?

I wouldn't want to pay MSRP or close to it, for the MSRP I can get amps like the Meier Audio Corda Classic or the Little Labs Monotor which are both IMO better amps.

This is what I think that is wrong with it: The dynamics sound compressed, narrow and dead sounding. 

It measures well, but I wouldn't want to use it in a studio setting, you can get gear that is also meant to be neutral that sounds more dynamic and alive, like what I just listed. I know that this goes against what a lot of head-fi reviews and such say, but I also kinda doubt the experience a lot of the people reviewing it have. I can see how you could call it neutral and analytical and great if you don't have a lot of experience with gear in the catagory it is aiming for.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I wouldn't want to pay MSRP or close to it, for the MSRP I can get amps like the Meier Audio Corda Classic or the Little Labs Monotor which are both IMO better amps.

This is what I think that is wrong with it: The dynamics sound compressed, narrow and dead sounding. 

It measures well, but I wouldn't want to use it in a studio setting, you can get gear that is also meant to be neutral that sounds more dynamic and alive, like what I just listed. I know that this goes against what a lot of head-fi reviews and such say, but I also kinda doubt the experience a lot of the people reviewing it have. I can see how you could call it neutral and analytical and great if you don't have a lot of experience with gear in the catagory it is aiming for.

Thank you very much for your input. Though I must ask, why isn't the Little Labs Monotor listed in your recommendations, though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, ButsAndNolts said:

Thank you very much for your input. Though I must ask, why isn't the Little Labs Monotor listed in your recommendations, though?

Partly because I haven't had time to really update it lately and partly because I want more time with it before I add it


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thing I forgot to ask. Cleanliness and neutrality aside and not limited to what you've listed down, what solid state or tube amp would you recommend for the most fun and bassy sounding signature?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, ButsAndNolts said:

One more thing I forgot to ask. Cleanliness and neutrality aside and not limited to what you've listed down, what solid state or tube amp would you recommend for the most fun and bassy sounding signature?

IDK tbh, audio GD products tend to have a more pronounced bass, but it isn't like a amp is going to make a flat'ish headphone into a bass monster.

The millet starving student might be a option, but it is diy and different tubes will make the amp sound differently, this really goes for all tube amps.

The last one from the top of my head would be the Dynalo, it is also a diy amp and there are very mixed opinions about it, but it certainly colors the sound.

 

I can't really help you out more than that.

 

Just as a side note, I would recommend getting a nice clean DAC and amp and then let the headphones change the sound, so if you want a bassy sound then get bassy headphones that you can switch to.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Hey guys, 

 

How do you rate the iPhone headphone jack dongle? Is it worth upgrading?

What are you running out of the iPhone? If it is like a high end IEM or like a nice headphone that scales fairly well, then I would say yes. Though it also comes down to if you care about the better source on the go


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

What are you running out of the iPhone? If it is like a high end IEM or like a nice headphone that scales fairly well, then I would say yes. Though it also comes down to if you care about the better source on the go

KEF M100 and some KZ earphones I ordered to review (ES4 and ZSA).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

KEF M100 and some KZ earphones I ordered to review (ES4 and ZSA).

I honestly wouldn't then, if you have a iPhone with a jack then you could maybe buy that dongle they sell for the iPhones without a jack. It is suprisingly clean.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I honestly wouldn't then, if you have a iPhone with a jack then you could maybe buy that dongle they sell for the iPhones without a jack. It is suprisingly clean.

Thanks! That’s what some links are saying. Some audiophiles measured the iPhone dongle and it measures well. The noise level is just slightly higher than the iPhone 6. But you can only tell that on a graph. It’s just so misleading that tech sites and audio sites keep touting these improved dongle dacs. Some people say it makes a difference, some don’t. It’s like the movie inception. Ideas are contagious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×