Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, acercon said:

snip

get the fulla 2 then

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 12/24/2016 at 1:13 AM, acercon said:

I am looking for a amp/dac for my AKG K7XX, it seems that the best option (~$100) is the fulla 2 from schiit. do you guys agree? What about the SMSL SD79C-II (https://www.amazon.ca/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM) How is that one better or worst because it is 14 dollars cheaper.

Thanks!

I had that smsl dac/amp before switching to the fulla 2 and the change is pretty noticeable.  The bass is louder than before and as I stated in a previous post in game sounds are much louder (such as footsteps).  Do yourself a favor and get the fulla 2, you won't find a better dac/amp for the price.

Btw, im about to get the schiit fulla 2, main reason is that my prev amp/dac (govibe magnum) had some hiss and it uses battery, but i just wanna check, could the cable be the problem? I also notice that when i put the cable away from the other usb cables (like,there are 4 connected below, so i put the other 1 far far away),the hiss would be lesser,not significant but noticeably lesser than if connected nearer to the other usb ports.. Im pretty particular about hiss so anything i can do about it if its not the amp/dacs issue?

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

On 27/12/2016 at 5:05 AM, revl8er said:

I had that smsl dac/amp before switching to the fulla 2 and the change is pretty noticeable.  The bass is louder than before and as I stated in a previous post in game sounds are much louder (such as footsteps).  Do yourself a favor and get the fulla 2, you won't find a better dac/amp for the price.

Any hiss

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

38 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

Btw, im about to get the schiit fulla 2, main reason is that my prev amp/dac (govibe magnum) had some hiss and it uses battery, but i just wanna check, could the cable be the problem? I also notice that when i put the cable away from the other usb cables (like,there are 4 connected below, so i put the other 1 far far away),the hiss would be lesser,not significant but noticeably lesser than if connected nearer to the other usb ports.. Im pretty particular about hiss so anything i can do about it if its not the amp/dacs issue?

Are you using sensitive IEMs? If not, the hiss is almost certainly a problem with your computer and not the fault of the DAC.

29 minutes ago, SSL said:

Are you using sensitive IEMs? If not, the hiss is almost certainly a problem with your computer and not the fault of the DAC.

I only use my T70 250 Ohms on it, with that said, it is rather sensitive for a pair of headphones, so maybe it could be the problem, but, I have a asus dgx soundcard and when plugged into the soundcard, it has 0 hiss

8 hours ago, applesuxD said:

Any hiss

None whatsoever, everything sounds great.  

Is it a bad thing that my headphones are kinda loud around the 25-30% audio? @Dackzy

Headphones are: Sony MDRZX310. Just from my motherboard headphone jack. Both on my laptop and desktop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I3LUWQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

46 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Is it a bad thing that my headphones are kinda loud around the 25-30% audio? @Dackzy

Headphones are: Sony MDRZX310. Just from my motherboard headphone jack. Both on my laptop and desktop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I3LUWQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not at all.

11 minutes ago, SSL said:

Not at all.

Alright. Thanks. :D 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

7 hours ago, Technicolors said:

Anyone here got the Schiit Fulla 2? 

had it for a day...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question.

I'm using the Sennheiser HD600.

Looking for a decent quality DAC/AMP.  Should I get the Shiit Fulla 2, the Shiit Modni/Magni combo, or the Objective2 w/ODAC?

56 minutes ago, bluewolf said:

Quick question.

I'm using the Sennheiser HD600.

Looking for a decent quality DAC/AMP.  Should I get the Shiit Fulla 2, the Shiit Modni/Magni combo, or the Objective2 w/ODAC?

Fulla or Vali.

I just got a Mojo. It has RGB lol Jokes aside, it sounds amazing with higher-end cans and CIEMs, especially for the price. 

Hi what amp would be cheapest to drive DT 770 250 Ohm ? I prefer portable as for TV and phone but mostly used on PC. On some topic I seen it need 260mW to drive it properly ? I don't need much volume. HD 598 are good at 25 volume but they are 32 Ohm and open.
Or any other headphones if you got any suggestions I like DT 770 because of good noise isolation (30-35dB ?) HD 598 is too open and I hear everything from outside as it don't block any sound from outside.

TOPPING NX1a is 30€ but it says it's only 100mW

Biggermouth A2 $30 860mW but says load impedance is 2K Ohm so how do this impact on headphones and battery ?

I see SMSL m2/mini are $50 with 130+130mW what this means ?
Fiio A3 is 60€ 200mW

I am wondering about response. It have any impact on headphones as this cheap amps have only 20-20Khz-30Khz response and DT 770 have 5-35Khz

Used DT 770 250 Ohms are 80€ (owner says it's used only for 3 "radio interviews" While new DT 770 80Ohm and 250Ohm is 135€ So probably used is best deal as headphones are durable. I am not sure about warranty Is there a lot of chance speaker die ? as they are quality headphones. I would pick 80Ohm but ppl on forum are saying it have heavier bass.

Beyerdynamic Custom Studio are 180€

I guess used DT 770 250 is worth 80€ then and $30 for amp

Thanks,

Sennheiser HD 598

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

1 hour ago, LukaTCE said:

Hi what amp would be cheapest to drive DT 770 250 Ohm ? I prefer portable as for TV and phone but mostly used on PC. On some topic I seen it need 260mW to drive it properly ? I don't need much volume. HD 598 are good at 25 volume but they are 32 Ohm and open.
Or any other headphones if you got any suggestions I like DT 770 because of good noise isolation (30-35dB ?) HD 598 is too open and I hear everything from outside as it don't block any sound from outside.

TOPPING NX1a is 30€ but it says it's only 100mW

Biggermouth A2 $30 860mW but says load impedance is 2K Ohm so how do this impact on headphones and battery ?

I see SMSL m2/mini are $50 with 130+130mW what this means ?
Fiio A3 is 60€ 200mW

I am wondering about response. It have any impact on headphones as this cheap amps have only 20-20Khz-30Khz response and DT 770 have 5-35Khz

Used DT 770 250 Ohms are 80€ (owner says it's used only for 3 "radio interviews" While new DT 770 80Ohm and 250Ohm is 135€ So probably used is best deal as headphones are durable. I am not sure about warranty Is there a lot of chance speaker die ? as they are quality headphones. I would pick 80Ohm but ppl on forum are saying it have heavier bass.

Beyerdynamic Custom Studio are 180€

I guess used DT 770 250 is worth 80€ then and $30 for amp

Thanks,

An amp likely won't be necessary. $30 isn't going to buy anything worth having.

I'm not sure where you got the 260mW number, but that is actually beyond the power handling capacity of the headphone.

1 hour ago, LukaTCE said:

SNIP

30$ wont get you anything thats even close to decent.

The human ear can hear 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

They aren't that hard to power, so there is a big chance that your phone can power them with no problem.

Also why the 250 ohm? Not that it matters much.

Hi thx for reply. So what amp is decent to power DT 770 250 Ohm ?
250 Ohm version because it's used for 80€ while new 80/250 Ohm is for 135€ and some ppl say 80 Ohm have stronger bass. (owner say it wasn't used much, that it was used just for 3 "radio" interviews)
Some say even Topping NX1a it will power it but it's just 100mW at 32Ohm
Some say Fiio A3 have problem with 200mW
I see you have recommended SMSL sApII Pro but it's not portable. I will use it mostly at PC,TV so portable is a plus.

And phone even struggle to power HD 598 at 32Ohm  left and right side don't have same output power/volume but it's loud enought (HTC One M7)

Or is better to put more money for headphones like Beyerdynamic Custom Studio they are 180€ 80 Ohm ("DT 770 speakers and bass control")

I asked same question at Head Fi forum but seems no one answer or I put at wrong category

http://www.head-fi.org/t/834539/what-amp-for-dt-770-250-ohm

Thanks,

Sennheiser HD 598

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

3 minutes ago, LukaTCE said:

SNIP

I think there might be something wrong with your phone. 

I have yet to hear the custom studio, so I wont comment much on those. From what I can see then they should offer about the same audio quality, maybe a bit better.

One of my friends likes the Fiio Q1, if you want to go really cheap then I have heard from one of my friends that likes cheap audio things that this one isn't that bad for the price, but not something that would be able to replace onboard amp on your PC. The first schiit Fulla is also a good option, there you get both a DAC and a amp.

Can i use a Schiit fulla 2 for my 2 studio monitors + headphones. And would it work as a USB audio interface without Midi in/out. Is the it as good as the DAC in a focusrite or roland. How do i set it up

5 hours ago, Bruu Betyr said:

Can i use a Schiit fulla 2 for my 2 studio monitors + headphones. And would it work as a USB audio interface without Midi in/out. Is the it as good as the DAC in a focusrite or roland. How do i set it up

1. Yes.
  2. No.
  3. Better.
  4. Plug it in.

16 minutes ago, SSL said:

1. Yes.
  2. No.
  3. Better.
  4. Plug it in.

Does using an XLR to 3.5 Jack decrease sound quality compared to buying a different dac and using XLR

14 minutes ago, Bruu Betyr said:

Does using an XLR to 3.5 Jack decrease sound quality compared to buying a different dac and using XLR

Not really.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

Not really.

Ok so do the 2 3.5mm outs serve as right and left for each studio monitor?