Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

29 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

1. Well, although my Rokit5 G3's have volume control knobs at the back, it'd be quite inconvenient to have to adjust the volume via the volume knobs at back of the speakers because there're differences in audio volume levels between audio formats, movies and such. Sure, you can also use Window audio panel to adjust volume, but it can be quite inconvenient as well (like after starting a game, you find the volume too loud, w/o a preamp, you'd have to get out of the game, and adjust Windows volume). Having a preamp section on my Oppo HA-1 means that I don't have to bother adjusting volume in WIndows and even the audio player or the Master volume of a game. All I have to do is set Windows/game/audio player/video player volume at a certain level, like 90% for example, then I can use the volume knob on my Oppo HA-1 itself to adjust the volume. In other words, the preamp on my Oppo HA-1 takes over the master volume control for my speakers.

2. Don't bother about how the speakers are referred as, like studio monitors, that's just marketing talk. Although my Rokit5 are referred to as studio monitors, they do a good job presenting an overall balance in sound, but with a mild bass boost. I find them great for movies, gaming and music and certainly not bass light (though they lack the low freq extension of sub woofers.

If 'deep bass' is what you're keen on, perhaps a good 2.1 setup would be more ideal for you. As to what would suit you, it's best that you actually audition them yourself and see, or rather, hear them personally as you're the best judge of what sounds best. JBL LSR305 is very much favored by the audio heads here....

i'm sorry to bother you dude but i realy know don't know what is best for me 2.1 system like promedia 2 or z623 or cyber acoustic or pair of  JBL LSR305  as you suggest or audio engine a2+

does it really worth to invest that much on studio monitor instead of 2.1 system

why some gaint companys didn't mintion thd in the specs of speakers like the  JBL LSR305 i cant find thd in the specs

11 minutes ago, faisal92 said:

i'm sorry to bother you dude but i realy know don't know what is best for me 2.1 system like promedia 2 or z623 or cyber acoustic or pair of  JBL LSR305  as you suggest or audio engine a2+

does it really worth to invest that much on studio monitor instead of 2.1 system

why some gaint companys didn't mintion thd in the specs of speakers like the  JBL LSR305 i cant find thd in the specs

Not a problem, but I ain't one of the audio big heads here, so wait for them to reply. Check out spwath's thread on speakers. As for the LSR305 specs, here's a link to it:

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305#.V-0bCvB96-Z

Remember, the price listed is for one, NOT one pair, the LSR305 is about the same price as the Rokit5 G3 I had gotten. It was originally my intention to buy the LSR305, but since I couldn't find it in my neck of the woods, I gave up and snagged the Rokit5 instead. I happen to have owned both the Z623 and PM2.1, the PM2.1 has very crisp treble and pretty good bass extension, the Z623 does sound pretty good on its own, but when compared to the PM2.1, I prefer the latter for nice thumping bass and very crisp and clean mid and highs. I'd suggest that you audition both before buying, you might actually prefer the Z623 due to its nice bass presentation, and less forward treble.

As to whether it'd be worthwhile for you to get a pair of studio monitors vs the Z623/PM2.1, that's entirely up to you. I certainly found it worthwhile to up my audio from the Z623 and PM2.1 to the Rokit5 (less bass, but cleaner overall sound).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

JBL LSR305 is very much favored by the audio heads here....

Because they offer great sound quality for the price and have a lot of detail.

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Not a problem, but I ain't one of the audio big heads here, so wait for them to reply.

Oh don't be so humble, you have a lot of experiance and seem to know a fair bit.

2 hours ago, faisal92 said:

I would pick the LSR305 over any of those speakers, but as gamerdude said the price is per speaker, but you can buy a set for 330$ with cables or just the speakers for 283$. They have a nice detailed sound, with a fairly "neutral'ish" sound to them, they have a nice bass, ofc you are going to get more bass if you add a sub, but I would argue that they have plenty of bass for a PC setup where you are going to sit fairly close to them, unless you are a basshead and the detail level is nice to have, you might end up hearing something that you never heard before in the sound.

Audio engine is a bit overpriced and I would just always stay away from Logitech when it comes to audio.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Because they offer great sound quality for the price and have a lot of detail.

Oh don't be so humble, you have a lot of experiance and seem to know a fair bit.

I would pick the LSR305 over any of those speakers, but as gamerdude said the price is per speaker, but you can buy a set for 330$ with cables or just the speakers for 283$. They have a nice detailed sound, with a fairly "neutral'ish" sound to them, they have a nice bass, ofc you are going to get more bass if you add a sub, but I would argue that they have plenty of bass for a PC setup where you are going to sit fairly close to them, unless you are a basshead and the detail level is nice to have, you might end up hearing something that you never heard before in the sound.

Audio engine is a bit overpriced and I would just always stay away from Logitech when it comes to audio.

why they didn't mention thd in specs or manual in  JBL LSR305  if it had internal amp

should i buy dac or pre amp for those pair or they will be fine with onboard

22 minutes ago, faisal92 said:

why they didn't mention thd in specs or manual in  JBL LSR305  if it had internal amp

should i buy dac or pre amp for those pair or they will be fine with onboard

hmm not sure, never looked in the manual, but you can just look at the back of the speaker and then you see a plug for a power cord. I would not look at a pre amp right now, the LSR 305 is going to be a bit of a bitch to turn down and up, because each speaker has a volume knop on the back. DAC maybe, I have not looked into what you have on your mobo for a long time. @GamerDude Would you say that he should get a pre amp?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

14 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

hmm not sure, never looked in the manual, but you can just look at the back of the speaker and then you see a plug for a power cord. I would not look at a pre amp right now, the LSR 305 is going to be a bit of a bitch to turn down and up, because each speaker has a volume knop on the back. DAC maybe, I have not looked into what you have on your mobo for a long time. @GamerDude Would you say that he should get a pre amp?

If I can throw in my 2¢.

He doesn't need a full fledged pre-amp. An in-line volume control should do. 

Something like an Emotiva Control Freak or a Fostex PC-1e should do.

He could also just use Windows' own volume control. That would atleast be cheaper, and it would be easier than setting the volume on both speakers. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

6 minutes ago, Volbet said:

If I can throw in my 2¢.

He doesn't need a full fledged pre-amp. An in-line volume control should do. 

Some like an Emotiva Control Freak or a Fostex PC-1e should do.

He could also just use Windows' own volume control. That would atleast be cheaper, and it would be easier than setting the volume on both speakers. 

true, I think that I was thinking about speakers with a build in DAC, because then windows should always be at 100%, but that is not the case with the LSR305. Damn I need to get me some more sleep

• 1 month later...

Thanks for making this post!

I just had a question though. You've made several separate lists that are of your recommendations for DACs, AMPs and DAC/AMP combo. Would I be able to purchase a Schiit DAC and Schiit AMP separately and then use them together? I'm fairly new to this and would really love to know more. 

What's the benefit of a DAC/AMP combo other than space saving and possibly more unity? Schiit doesn't seem to have a DAC/AMP combo so.. that's why I'm asking!

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

Thanks for making this post!

I just had a question though. You've made several separate lists that are of your recommendations for DACs, AMPs and DAC/AMP combo. Would I be able to purchase a Schiit DAC and Schiit AMP separately and then use them together? I'm fairly new to this and would really love to know more. 

Yes, you just need some RCA cables to hook them up together.

2 minutes ago, tomoki said:

What's the benefit of a DAC/AMP combo other than space saving and possibly more unity? Schiit doesn't seem to have a DAC/AMP combo so.. that's why I'm asking!

Nothing really

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yes, you just need some RCA cables to hook them up together.

Nothing really

Thanks for your reply! Oh yeah I have a few of those lying around. 

Oh...hmm.. what about PCI-E soundcards vs amp/dacs? As far as I know...from what I've read at least, PCI-E soundcards are basically the same stuff but they may have interference. I'm not sure how true that is ....so I'm thinking an external amp/dac would be good. 

Just now, tomoki said:

Thanks for your reply! Oh yeah I have a few of those lying around. 

Oh...hmm.. what about PCI-E soundcards vs amp/dacs? As far as I know...from what I've read at least, PCI-E soundcards are basically the same stuff but they may have interference. I'm not sure how true that is ....so I'm thinking an external amp/dac would be good. 

well they do the same things, the thing is that PCI and PCIe cards are more prone to interference, hence why people are moving away from them.

DACs and amps can also be higher quality, than the normal consumer sound cards

On 9/15/2016 at 8:54 AM, SSL said:

I disagree. I wouldn't think about a DAC unless you're spending close to $1000 in total.

This is because that is usually how much is needed to hit the transducer price to performance plateau. Only then should the rest of the chain be improved.

What about the HD650/HD6xx? I'm thinking of getting those Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Schiit Modi 2 Uber... but unsure whether I actually need it or not. I'm going to receive the headphones first and try them out.. and then upgrade with the Magni 2 to begin with probably...is the better choice of the two??? 

6 hours ago, tomoki said:

What about the HD650/HD6xx? I'm thinking of getting those Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Schiit Modi 2 Uber... but unsure whether I actually need it or not. I'm going to receive the headphones first and try them out.. and then upgrade with the Magni 2 to begin with probably...is the better choice of the two??? 

I would start with the Schiit Vali 2 for the HD6xx.

10 hours ago, SSL said:

I would start with the Schiit Vali 2 for the HD6xx.

I keep taking a look at the Vali 2..but the ...Valhalla 2 looks... so much cooler... can't resist hahaha it'll make my pockets bleed a little though cause I've never spent that much on anything. 

None of the combos is in stores in my country :(
any other that might be? (180€ or less)

What about these ones are any of them good (at that price point)?
Fiio 10k

Optoma NuForce uDAC 3

Deltaco E01

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

None of the combos is in stores in my country :(
any other that might be? (180€ or less)

What about these ones are any of them good (at that price point)?
Fiio 10k

Optoma NuForce uDAC 3

Deltaco E01

Are you not shopping online?

3 hours ago, SSL said:

Are you not shopping online?

Yes, but I am probably not going to buy anything right now, but I want to sometime, maybe after Christmas.

or are all the 3 I mentioned bad?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

26 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Yes, but I am probably not going to buy anything right now, but I want to sometime, maybe after Christmas.

or are all the 3 I mentioned bad?

they aren't something I would recommend, they don't suck, but they are not great either, they are basically just eh

27 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they aren't something I would recommend, they don't suck, but they are not great either, they are basically just eh

:( why isnt any of those that is recommended in first post in online stores here :(

-Stephen Hawking

9 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

:( why isnt any of those that is recommended in first post in online stores here :(

well they are all on a European amazon and on the American amazon. So maybe buy from one of those places?

it would take way too much time to go through every audio store in each country to find each thing. I cannot answer why your local stores doesn't have any of them.

12 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well they are all on a European amazon and on the American amazon. So maybe buy from one of those places?

it would take way too much time to go through every audio store in each country to find each thing. I cannot answer why your local stores doesn't have any of them.

but If I do they will be more expensive...

and I do not have to go trough all sites to know... I just use a site that you can search for every object and see the price in different stores :)

-Stephen Hawking

12 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

but If I do they will be more expensive...

and I do not have to go trough all sites to know... I just use a site that you can search for every object and see the price in different stores :)

how are they going to more expensive? Do you live outside EU and America?

Remember now you cannot get VAT if you are inside EU and buy from inside EU.

I would have to go through what 150 sites and search for what 40-50 things, yeah, no that is not going to happen, hence Amazon, most people can buy from there and it gives you a price point to go out from. Yes you have to pay for delivery for some things, but that is just how it is with most online stores.

If somebody paid me by the hour to go through every single country then sure, but I really doubt that anyone would do that.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

how are they going to more expensive? Do you live outside EU and America?

Remember now you cannot get VAT if you are inside EU and buy from inside EU.

I would have to go through what 150 sites and search for what 40-50 things, yeah, no that is not going to happen, hence Amazon, most people can buy from there and it gives you a price point to go out from. Yes you have to pay for delivery for some things, but that is just how it is with most online stores.

If somebody paid me by the hour to go through every single country then sure, but I really doubt that anyone would do that.

Norway isnt EU, but EEA, so yes, I do have to pay VAT (25%). an therefore I want to buy things from stores in my country, and therefore I can use the site that you can see everything on every online store worth buying from at least.

-Stephen Hawking

If I where to buy from amazon UK, I think I would be limited to the SMSL or something. some others is to expensive or not on amazon UK at all.

from amazon UK, I would have to pay 25% VAT and 5-6 £ shipping.

-Stephen Hawking