I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry

I have no problem with this. I wasn't going to renew my vessel subscription previously, and nerd sports isn't something I am interested in anyway. I see this as being no different than IREP's THE BOOST in that most people wouldn't have even known it to exist, wouldn't have bitched about it, and aren't missing anything of value to begin with.

If the purpose of this thread is to annoy @LinusTech, I will take the more direct route.

#FIREPOLE

vessel.jpg

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

The funniest part about all this? 99.9% of the people complaining will continuing watching all the other LMG content no matter how this turns out xD. I bet a percentage of that 99.9% will cave and get a Vessel subscription too lol

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

@Jobbe03 Wouldn't you do the same thing if you were Linus? You want to do stuff you can't afford. You are given an opportunity by a company which just wants the rights for the content you produce. 

So, why wouldn't you do that? 

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

7 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Funny man.  And what exact experience do you have on sales or marketing or any other business that contradicts...   Well you know.  The actual way businesses run.  

If if I tell  client I am creating content just for them and I will not allow anyone else to use it.  They should take that to mean that the content I am creating for them is not going to be reused.   That is common sense.  

That is the equivalent of what Linis stated.   However what many here took it to mean is the equivalent of my client meaning that anything I create is only for them.  It defies reason and it goes against common practice.  

17 minutes ago, KWelz said:

And I have 15 years in business including being the director of sales for multiple companies.   

tumblr_inline_nbp4x7EXSf1s5jo86.gif

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Just now, Lolucoca said:

@Jobbe03 Wouldn't you do the same thing if you were Linus? You want to do stuff you can't afford. You are given an opportunity by a company which just wants the rights for the content you produce. 

So, why wouldn't you do that? 

I never said i wouldn't. I don't blame him for taking the chance at all. I blame him for lying. 

@Jobbe03 It is not LMG content! It's content that belongs to Vessel, not the LMG team! It's the same with films. They don't belong to the actors...

Just now, Lolucoca said:

@Jobbe03 It is not LMG content! It's content that belongs to Vessel, not the LMG team! It's the same with films. They don't belong to the actors...

Dude... It literally does not matter how you phrase it. It's a technicality and it's being abused. 

He made a statement, and he broke it when the offer was too good. 

51 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I AM NOT SAYING ALL CONTENT SHOULD BE FREE. I AM SAYING THAT LINUS BACKED ON HIS WORD BUT WON'T ADMIT IT. INSTEAD HE IS GIVING US BULLSHIT LIKE "It was poorly worded"!

Guess what? Stuff changes. As far as he knew that was true. He probably never though a company would come in and pay in full (I'm assuming) for him to produce content is audience wanted. You call it mental gymnastic but the instant I read that that was my thought. LMG funded content is still on ad supported platforms. Linus never talked about content funded by outside companies as up to that point no company had asked them to make content his LTT audience would be interested in. Up until now there really hasn't been any reason to separate the to as as far as LTT fans were concerned LTT and LMG were the same thing as they only cared about LTT content produced by LMG. LMG is a production company open for hire to make content. They have now been hired to make content that the LTT crowd is interested in. I think Linus did just miscommunicate as before LTT and LMG really had no reason to be separated. Now they do.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I pay for netflix , I pay for google music, I pay for crunchyroll, I pay for the wwe network (don't judge me, the korean countryside was pretty boring. I would have paid for vessel except this genuinely feels like a cheap shot to keep the platform from bleeding subscribers at the end of the trial year. I jumped on the vessel bandwagon pretty early because Linus has assured us multiple times the content would be available on both platforms. Vessel have made an arse of public relations for LMG time and time again now this time they link this new series to an existing channel that linus had setup a patreon for under the ruse that it is too expensive to run.

It just feels like as a company all they have done is ask for donations while accepting corporate cash on the side. Not something I object to but I do question the honesty of mr tech tips when his word means nothing. Mr Tech Tips has also said how 20'000 is nothing for the company if it is the cost of doing business however these CSF videos using 200$ worth of props are too expensive to produce and they can't spare the man power. Honestly I could believe they were short on man power considering how low quality and low effort the videos have been, but hey it turns out they have been screwing over the regular consumers to produce content most of their consumers won't see.  Maybe you should stop taking on long expansive projects until you can get your standard quality back up to an acceptable level.

Lets just pause for a moment and accept that the team worked overtime to get the job done without breaking the current schedule, can we just observe what happens when staff are overworked and exhausted, quality and performance drop. Why on earth did you take on such an expansive project without the man power to complete it properly.

Maybe its a talent pool problem..

You are in BC right? The media industry is huge there, are you honestly telling me you can find people who can help produce content. I have several friends working in the media industry who  try to make a name for themselves as hardworking people. Surely you can't have exhausted the talent pool not saying the people I know are right for the job just using it to explain how I know how vast the talent pool actually is.

This post is pretty all over the place because there has been a lot of things bugging me about LTT of late and this just pushed me over the edge. 

As I said in the beginning , I'm not too cheap to pay for content I enjoy. But I don't like feeling tricked or lied to. Sure me not watching this content will hardly effect the bottom line for the LMG accounts but I hope you remember going forward Linus how willing will these companies be to spend large amounts of money on content without a return on investment sure you get an nice paycheck I just hope its worth bleeding fans.

I suppose at the end of the day you get closer to that Lambo who cares what the brand actually means.

"I asked why they decided to take on a project like that when they don't have the personnel/time."

Not how, why.

This actually sums up everything I wanted to say

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

@Jobbe03 So you're telling me every video, like this "Get a Job" video Linus made for MyLifeScoop belongs to him?

3 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

I see it more like a Game Dev (you really like), insisting a year ago that their games will always be available F2P on steam. Then they make a game for Ubisoft and sell it for 60 dollars on uPlay. And when people say WTF guise!!!!! They reply, "well technically, we didn't change our minds, it's not our game, sure we created it, and it's got our usual style, but Ubisoft own it".

@Murdoch The problem is, as a game dev, you have to do what your customer demands you to do. You can't just say "Yeah, but we promised our followers not to release a game that involves microtransactions, so we won't do that for you"... That's insane...

@LinusTech I can totally see why you guys are doing what you're doing.  As you mentioned in the past, YouTube didn't support you in the same way they did with other partners etc.  Vessel really seems to be behind you guys and funding projects.  Keep up the good work. 

15 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

@Murdoch The problem is, as a game dev, you have to do what your customer demands you to do. You can't just say "Yeah, but we promised our followers not to release a game that involves microtransactions, so we won't do that for you"... That's insane...

By customer do you mean Publisher? I agree there are evolving market conditions that alter what is "standard practice" and widely accepted by the consumer, and almost all changes are initially met with an outcry before being accepted. A shrewd game dev, won't make promises they can't keep. I think it was a mistake to claim that content would always be free. It's fine to adapt to a changing market. I've never been a fan of the fully ad supported model, in fact I've grown to loathe it.

With that said, independent "game devs" or "content creators" have full autonomy over their affairs. If a publisher wants to change your business model, as part of the deal, you have the freedom to turn down that offer. The thing is, that offer usually comes with significant monetary incentives.

20 hours ago, zocke1r said:

man i why did i see that answer coming, when linus said all linus media content he actually only meant all content similar to the content lmg provided at that time, that is a cheap cop and you know. what a shame i really liked lmg and the fact that they are honest to their fan base, but in the end lmg are also just slaves to the all mighty dollar, so unless the satement from linus is going to be sorry we lied to youm our fans, we mislead you but we like money more than holding promises than more than your trust, more than being honest, so screw you and now look at me in my new lambo vessel bought me

dude this series is funded by vessel so it wouldnt exist without vessel so it completely fine to have to locked onto vessel. its like youtube red content funded by youtube

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Then he was being disingenuous when he made all the statements ~1 year ago. He used words such as "all content" and did not make a separation between "LMG" and "LTT" content. If this was planned out, then he was being a douchebag who deliberately tried to deceive people. If it was not planned out, then you are just doing mental gymnastics to try and find a loophole for how Linus did not go back on his word. Personally I think what I described in this post is not only more likely, but also puts Linus in a more favorable light than what you are describing:

No I am not upset because it is something I am interested in. I do not think I am entitled to view the videos. I was just explaining to you how these videos are different from his Intel training videos. You asked me how it was different and I answered you. Stop with the strawman arguments please.

If Linus had previously said that he would not do a show for a cable channel unless he could upload it for free on YouTube, then went ahead and then went "oh it was just poorly worded despite me saying the same thing like 10 times" then yes, I would insist on it being free. Either it being free or Linus admit that he changed his mind.

vessel is funding the series so its completely fair for it to be locked onto vessel. why should they provide something and get nothing in return. a close analogy would probably be if hollywood reached out to linus to act in a movie or i guess to be the director of a movie is better. so would he be obligated to release the movie on his youtube channel?

Maybe we should all complain to Youtube, becuase if they gave Linus more money per view, he probably would never ever consider Vessel or Patreon

Wait what?! Is there a serie that's vessel only?!

I'm sorry but that makes me really angry... Vessel is crap their app is garbage and I can't pay for it because the only way I can pay for stuff is if I can pay through the google play store...

It's funny how this gets announced right before the trial year ends. Coincidence? I think not lol.

Seems like a way to try to get people to actually pay for the service. But since pretty much everything on vessel suck aside from LTT, no way i'm paying for vessel just for that lol.

1 hour ago, Bensemus said:

Guess what? Stuff changes. As far as he knew that was true. He probably never though a company would come in and pay in full (I'm assuming) for him to produce content is audience wanted. You call it mental gymnastic but the instant I read that that was my thought. LMG funded content is still on ad supported platforms. Linus never talked about content funded by outside companies as up to that point no company had asked them to make content his LTT audience would be interested in. Up until now there really hasn't been any reason to separate the to as as far as LTT fans were concerned LTT and LMG were the same thing as they only cared about LTT content produced by LMG. LMG is a production company open for hire to make content. They have now been hired to make content that the LTT crowd is interested in. I think Linus did just miscommunicate as before LTT and LMG really had no reason to be separated. Now they do.

Yep things change, so why pretend like nothing changed and instead come up with excuses like "we worded it poorly"?

Just admit that things changed and you are now willing to put things behind a paywall. In the past you said you wouldn't, but since then you have changed your mind. Simple as that.

Linus did not "word it poorly" like he claims. At the time he said those things he actually meant them. Now he has changed his mind.

Do you not agree that it seems like that is what happened here?

43 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

vessel is funding the series so its completely fair for it to be locked onto vessel. why should they provide something and get nothing in return. a close analogy would probably be if hollywood reached out to linus to act in a movie or i guess to be the director of a movie is better. so would he be obligated to release the movie on his youtube channel?

If Linus had previously said that he would make a movie with Hollywood and release it on YouTube with ads then yes, I think he would be obligated to release it on his YouTube channel. Either release it there, or just straight up say "sorry, I changed my mind when I saw all the cash". Either option is fine really. I mean, I will totally call him a sellout with the second option but at least that's better than being called a sleazy, deceptive, money-grubbing douchebag, right?

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yep things change, so why pretend like nothing changed and instead come up with excuses like "we worded it poorly"?

Just admit that things changed and you are now willing to put things behind a paywall. In the past you said you wouldn't, but since then you have changed your mind. Simple as that.

Linus did not "word it poorly" like he claims. At the time he said those things he actually meant them. Now he has changed his mind.

Do you not agree that it seems like that is what happened here?

If Linus had previously said that he would make a movie with Hollywood and release it on YouTube with ads then yes, I think he would be obligated to release it on his YouTube channel. Either release it there, or just straight up say "sorry, I changed my mind when I saw all the cash". Either option is fine really. I mean, I will totally call him a sellout with the second option but at least that's better than being called a sleazy, deceptive, money-grubbing douchebag, right?

that not being a sellout he is making content that someone would enjoy. its no more being a sellout than accepting an donated intel cpu for a build 

13 hours ago, nicklmg said:

To my knowledge they only got rid of ads for paid users. There is still an ad-supported tier (unless I grossly misunderstood the email they sent out today).

in all honesty. If you guys want to do something great.

go tell YT to use Vessel style ads.

as in. 10 seconds straight to the point. Rather then 30+ seconds of fucking retarded bullshit loosely related to the message they want to conway.

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

that not being a sellout he is making content that someone would enjoy. its no more being a sellout than accepting an donated intel cpu for a build 

You can make content that people enjoy and still be a sellout. In fact, in music a lot of sellouts actually change their style because they think it will make more people listen to them.

It seems like people in this thread does not understand what sellout actually means. Here is the dictionary definition:

a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement.