I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry

Unless you spent cash money on a service where you were promised product but that promise was not fulfilled, you don't have a leg to stand on. Linus has created free content for half a decade. If you don't have (but want) access to some of that content, the cost of a cheap lunch, once per month, will solve your problems. Quit hating and quit complaining.

Core i7 5820k 4.0Ghz (all 6 cores, Noctua NH-D15) | Asus X99-Deluxe | ZOTAC GeForce 980 Ti (water cooled) @ 1400 core/stock VRAM | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 | 1.5TB SSD | Corsair 400Q | eVGA Supernova G2 850 watt | Dell UltraSharp U2515H, 25.5" 1440p IPS

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

It is different because the other work LMG has done such as the videos for Intel were not targeted at the usual audience. These nerd sport videos however are targeted at the same audience as their usual videos. Even Vessel made the mistake to think that it was a ChannelSuperFun video. If you can't see the difference in target audience then I am not sure what to say.

Do you see anyone here upset over not being able to watch those training videos? Of course you don't, because it's content people don't care about. This new series however is something people care about.

So that's how it is different. The target audience is different, and that is EXTREMELY important. Since you claim to know how businesses work, you should understand that.

You might have missed it so I will post it again:

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

"Hiding" video that won't interests your viewers = okay

Putting videos that would interest your viewers behind a paywall, despite having repeatedly said that it would not happen in the past = not okay

Do you honestly not see the difference?

So every video that LMG makes has to be free to their viewers if the viewers think it may be interesting? That makes no sense. LMG was payed to make this series for Vessel. Vessel has every right to put it behind a paywall as they own it. Seeing as the idea seems to originate from within LMG it makes sense that it is interesting to normal viewers. That is the whole reason Vessel payed for it. They want exclusive content to make their platform interesting, just like all other streaming sites. They went out and found a show they liked. The fact that the people producing said show make their own content that they have decided to put it on ad supported platforms is irelevent.  Linus has stated that this show never would've happened if an outside company hadn't funded its costs.

LMG funded content is put where LMG wants to put it. Non funded LMG content is put where the owners of the content want it. Linus could of turned down the offer but then the show wouldn't of been made. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Maybe it is a generational thing.  But why do people think anything should be free or that they should be able to see it?   

Entertainment has has never been free that I remember and I am 37.    You either watched normal TV which was paid for by watching commercials.  Or you paid for cable, and usually still had commercials.  

Where do people think LMG makes its money?   Ad revenue?   That isn't going to pay for an operation their size.    

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

11 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

That makes sense though. At the time the content that LMG produced that interested Linus's main audience was all funded by LMG. He kept saying it the same way as he was trying to convey the same message and he was still operating from the same standpoint. LTT content will be available on an ad supported platform. Now a company has come and commissioned content from LMG. The fact that this content also is interesting to his normal audience isn't really relevant as Vessel owns it. It is their show that they are paying for. LMG and LTT have been used interchangeably but there is a big difference between them.

Then he was being disingenuous when he made all the statements ~1 year ago. He used words such as "all content" and did not make a separation between "LMG" and "LTT" content. If this was planned out, then he was being a douchebag who deliberately tried to deceive people. If it was not planned out, then you are just doing mental gymnastics to try and find a loophole for how Linus did not go back on his word. Personally I think what I described in this post is not only more likely, but also puts Linus in a more favorable light than what you are describing:

31 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If he had just said "yep I didn't expect things to turn out like this, but Vessel made me a very attractive offer I just didn't want to turn down" then I would have been less upset. It's the "oh that statement from a year ago was poorly worded" bullshit that makes me mad.

5 minutes ago, KWelz said:

so what you are saying is that it upsets you because it is something you are interested in.  

No I am not upset because it is something I am interested in. I do not think I am entitled to view the videos. I was just explaining to you how these videos are different from his Intel training videos. You asked me how it was different and I answered you. Stop with the strawman arguments please.

6 minutes ago, KWelz said:

What if a cable channel came to them and asked them to do a series exclusive for that cable channel?   Would you insist it should be free to view for us because we are LMG fans.  

If Linus had previously said that he would not do a show for a cable channel unless he could upload it for free on YouTube, then went ahead and then went "oh it was just poorly worded despite me saying the same thing like 10 times" then yes, I would insist on it being free. Either it being free or Linus admit that he changed his mind.

13 minutes ago, tuffjuff said:

Unless you spent cash money on a service where you were promised product but that promise was not fulfilled, you don't have a leg to stand on. Linus has created free content for half a decade. If you don't have (but want) access to some of that content, the cost of a cheap lunch, once per month, will solve your problems. Quit hating and quit complaining.

While I agree in parts with the sentiment.

What I find amusing, is that people quite enjoy LMG content, but only a fraction of the audience would ever pay "cash money" for it. So that is the audience hes built up, a viewership that enjoys the content, but for the most part won't pay for it. The problem, with your stance, is that (lets say) 85% of his audience and significant contributors (indirectly perhaps) to his success, have no leg to stand on when it comes to "Input" or "feedback (hating and complaining).

You sound like a petulant child.   Upset because your parent won't buy the nicer toy.   

I went back and watched the comments he made.    I in no way took it to mean all LMG content.  And nobody with any common sense would either. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

15 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

So every video that LMG makes has to be free to their viewers if the viewers think it may be interesting?

Nope, that is not at all what I am saying, at all. I don't know why both you and KWelz keep saying this. Are you making shitty strawman arguments, not reading my posts properly or am I just really bad at articulating my point?

I AM NOT SAYING ALL CONTENT SHOULD BE FREE. I AM SAYING THAT LINUS BACKED ON HIS WORD BUT WON'T ADMIT IT. INSTEAD HE IS GIVING US BULLSHIT LIKE "It was poorly worded"!

He either changed his mind, or deceived us from the start. I am leaning towards the former, but for some reason he pretends like it was planned from the start and he just worded it poorly. Again, I could understand if it was just one post being worded poorly and people misunderstood it, but it happened several times. Whenever someone brought up potentially exclusive content he said that all content would be free to view with ads, just delayed compared to Vessel.

6 minutes ago, KWelz said:

I went back and watched the comments he made.    I in no way took it to mean all LMG content.  And nobody with any common sense would either. 

Oh, I guess I don't have any common sense then, since I assumed "all LMG content" actually meant "all LMG content". Obviously I should have known that "all LMG content" actually meant "some LMG content but not all". Or that "everything we release" actually meant "not everything we release".

I have to admit that English is my secondary language, so maybe I don't fully understand the meaning of the words "all" and "everything".

Uou continue to contradict yourself.  

LMG makes a lot of content for a lot of people.  You seem to feel that his statement meant that any content they ever created would be free to everyone.   

What any rational person took him to mean is that any content they independently produced would continue to remain free.   Which is of course still the case.  

You our are hung up on Linus somehow decieving us.  When there is zero evidence of that. 

How is there 0 evidence? The fucking video where he said it in plain fucking English is any and all evidence that he basically altered the deal.

Nobody is entitled to free shit, but all you're doing is changing the subject because you don't like to admit it: he fucking lied about it. So did fucking Logan, Vessel is making fucking liars out of all tech youtubers in fact. But that doesn't absolves them of responsibility for taking up the shaddy fucking deals.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

How is there 0 evidence? The fucking video where he said it in plain fucking English is any and all evidence that he basically altered the deal.

Nobody is entitled to free shit, but all you're doing is changing the subject because you don't like to admit it: he fucking lied about it. So did fucking Logan, Vessel is making fucking liars out of all tech youtubers in fact. But that doesn't absolves them of responsibility for taking up the shaddy fucking deals.

This is probably the most important point that people seem to be avoiding. 

It doesn't matter how they try to spin it at this point, whether or not they own the series. They fucked up.

The man didn't word it wrong, he just changed his mind and made a liar out of himself. Time and time again he insisted that he wouldn't do paid-exclusive videos.

Vessel however didn't make a liars out of anyone, the creators could turn it down if they wanted too. They're not going bankrupt without this money they're gonna be making now. They just plain old lied. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

So you all are telling me that you don't understand the difference between content made for their channel and content they make for other channels.  

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

13 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Uou continue to contradict yourself.  

LMG makes a lot of content for a lot of people.  You seem to feel that his statement meant that any content they ever created would be free to everyone.   

What any rational person took him to mean is that any content they independently produced would continue to remain free.   Which is of course still the case.  

You our are hung up on Linus somehow decieving us.  When there is zero evidence of that. 

He's not contradicting himself, he's been pretty rigid on this. He believes "Nerd Sports" is LMG content in all but name, because it's purpose is to appeal to LMG viewers on vessel, to retain them on the platform beyond the 12 month free period. He believes that the "always free" standard Linus himself set, has been undermined. He then stated Linus has either changed his mind and not been upfront and honest about it, or, Linus has been somewhat disingenuous.

You disagree. And believe Nerd Sports to be totally separate content produced specifically for Vessel, which is not held to the same "always free" standard.

Both stances have merits.

Why don't you just understand that it's not LMG that owns the content of Nerd Sports, it's Vessel. They own the rights to publish those videos wherever they want to! It's nnot LMG that decides whether or not this content will be available on youtube or not. You could just say that it's Vessel's show with LMG being the actors...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

5 minutes ago, Jobbe03 said:

Are you retarded? 

If you've had any sort of experience with business (quite literally any) you know that it's just abusing technicalities and in this instance it's irrelevant

It's exactly the issue.   And I have 15 years in business including being the director of sales for multiple companies.   

By claiming Linus meant all content you are claiming he also meant anything they create for clients.  

One thing that really should also be noted is that they're already stretching their current content thin. It's half-assed ideas with half-assed execution. They very obviously don't have the time nor personnel yet they take on another huge project like this? 

10 minutes ago, Jobbe03 said:

This is probably the most important point that people seem to be avoiding. 

It doesn't matter how they try to spin it at this point, whether or not they own the series. They fucked up.

The man didn't word it wrong, he just changed his mind and made a liar out of himself. Time and time again he insisted that he wouldn't do paid-exclusive videos.

Vessel however didn't make a liars out of anyone, the creators could turn it down if they wanted too. They're not going bankrupt without this money they're gonna be making now. They just plain old lied. 

Actually for all we know they might: we don't know how much are these deals but look at the warehouse and the servers and the crazy operation: without Vessel all of that puts him in the red i bet.

Which is fine, it's OK to change your mind and your plans really, just don't tell us oh it was poorly worded.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, KWelz said:

It's exactly the issue.   And I have 15 years in business including being the director of sales for multiple companies.    

laughing laugh hilarious michael jordan haha

13 hours ago, LinusTech said:

HOWEVER, the primary reason for the rushed videos was  the entire week we're taking off this week to film Scrapyard Wars Season 4, which will be premiering on Vessel sometime in the next few weeks or so, followed by a release on YouTube 1 week later, which is the standard agreement for OUR content that is paid for by LMG or our sponsors.

@Jobbe03 Linus answered exactly what you just said.

1 minute ago, Lolucoca said:

@Jobbe03 Linus answered exactly what you just said.

That's acknowledgement, not an answer.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually for all we know they might: we don't know how much are these deals but look at the warehouse and the servers and the crazy operation: without Vessel all of that puts him in the red i bet.

Which is fine, it's OK to change your mind and your plans really, just don't tell us oh it was poorly worded.

Yup. Completely agree.

They're most definitely not in the red btw 

@Jobbe03 You just asked why the recent LTT videos seem to be rushed and Linus has answered this question a few hours ago...

Just now, Lolucoca said:

@Jobbe03 You just asked why the recent LTT videos seem to be rushed and Linus has answered this question a few hours ago...

I asked why they decided to take on a project like that when they don't have the personnel/time.

I know why the recent LTT videos seem rushed, and i said it in the post. 

3 minutes ago, Jobbe03 said:

Funny man.  And what exact experience do you have on sales or marketing or any other business that contradicts...   Well you know.  The actual way businesses run.  

If if I tell  client I am creating content just for them and I will not allow anyone else to use it.  They should take that to mean that the content I am creating for them is not going to be reused.   That is common sense.  

That is the equivalent of what Linis stated.   However what many here took it to mean is the equivalent of my client meaning that anything I create is only for them.  It defies reason and it goes against common practice.  

13 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Nerd Sports was shot 40% during evenings and weekends with employees taking time in lieu later on when we hire some more staff or when things slow down a little. We were careful to avoid disrupting any of our other commitments because imo you guys deserve the best we can deliver.

@Jobbe03