I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry
1 minute ago, Scheer said:

This is just my thought on the matter, and I am likely completely wrong... but I think everyone is looking at this incorrectly. The way I see it, this as if they were creating a TV show for, say, Discovery channel. Yes they made it, but its not their content to decide how it is distributed.

For all we know they won't even be managing the channel, just hired to film/act/edit a series, and do not have the rights to upload it themselves.

well nick said  

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

To clarify, this is not a Channel Super Fun series. That was a mistake in their copy. Nerd Sports is its own entity under Linus Media Group, and all future copy will reflect that.

This is a content idea that we had that would not have been possible without external support, and Vessel stepped up to the plate to support its creation.

Official comment will come soon I'm sure...

means linus media group is in control over this new entity , so as far as we know lmg is releasing content that is not free or ads supported nor on youtube

Just now, zocke1r said:

well nick said  

means linus media group is in control over this new entity , so as far as we know lmg is releasing content that is not free or ads supported nor on youtube

you make no sense xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

you make no sense xD

why not content released by subsidiary is still content of the parent company

Just now, zocke1r said:

why not content released by subsidiary is still content of the parent company

I don't get it ..

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

37 minutes ago, zocke1r said:

but how are you supposed to trust him on that after all he lied to you before, do you remeber the time he said all content will be available for free

He wasn't lying. He said what he honestly thought.

Circumstances change.

3 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

He wasn't lying. He said what he honestly thought.

Circumstances change.

People aren't allowed to change their opinion and/or their stance on a matter. Whatever their initial opinion is the one they must grow old and die believing in. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

People aren't allowed to change their opinion and/or their stance on a matter. Whatever their initial opinion is the one they must grow old and die believing in. 

thats why we got an edit button :D

11 minutes ago, zocke1r said:

well nick said  

Nick also said he really didn't know, it was just his opinion, and to wait for an official response.

Basically I was just trying to show we don't know the whole story, so it would be best to wait before going up in arms about it.

2 hours ago, XenZibe said:

They don't do it for free. Where are you hearing this from?

U misunderstood me. I meant that we have access to great tech content for free.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

It honestly doesn't bother me that much if Linus Media Group does keep that series a Vessel exclusive, I think I'd actually rather support Vessel over Youtube/Google for early access and exclusive content especially because Vessel is a up and coming platform.

Now while I do love Google and even Youtube, Google already makes quite a bit of money and I don't think the Youtube Red content is really worth it and it's not really true to the nature of Youtube. Whereas Vessel started up with the intention of being a subscription based platform. So honestly if I do decide to spend $20 for another year of Vessel, I think of it as an actual investment into the new platform because I decided I would go for their launch promo of a free years subscription 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

From a money perspective it's a great deal. Another step to expand the company and all.

But from a moral point of view it's terrible. Linus did say that all LMG content will remain on both platforms, and he is going back on his word. Especially since he wouldn't have gotten where he is today without all of us free youtube people. Times do change though and so did his opinion of exclusivity on Vessel.

That said, I do think the Vessel exclusivity is fine provided that he upholds the claim that "our other channels will not slow down". This would be hard as the only way to do this is to either increase the workload/hours of everyone, or hire a new cast for the new series. If he does make everyone work hard we might see a quality drop in the other videos. If he hires new people then it loses the popularity and hype, as these new people are presumably nobodys even though they are part of LMG. So I predict Linus is going to do a bit of both. Mitigate quality loss as much a possible but shows up enough to keep the show going. New editors, old actors.

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

To clarify, this is not a Channel Super Fun series. That was a mistake in their copy. Nerd Sports is its own entity under Linus Media Group, and all future copy will reflect that.

This is a content idea that we had that would not have been possible without external support, and Vessel stepped up to the plate to support its creation.

Official comment will come soon I'm sure...

Ok.I am still not into vessel and never really got in the first place.

The reason is that there were no Android support when you launched there. Around the time you launched on Vessel I did (or at least it feels like I did) the majority of my YouTube consumption through my Android phone due to various reasons. And since Vessel was not Android at a time, I could not watch it when I usually watched LMG videos. Yes it is available now, but back then it wasn't.

1 hour ago, Talicrons said:

Especially since he wouldn't have gotten where he is today without all of us free youtube people.

The new office happened thanks to a lot of help from Vessel too. His donation drives were not enough to cover much. I think the money raised was enough for the sound dampening material... That's it. 

He is hiring at least one new editor. Someone posted the ad on r/pcmr.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

13 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

IT's late and I'm both hungry and tired from shooting Scrapyard Wars (which by the way is an LTT series and will be airing ad-supported on YouTube very soon for your viewing pleasure).

But there are a few points to address and you've already been patient enough.

I said LMG content would always be free. This was poor wording on my part. There has always been content produced by me and my team that was not necessarily available on a free platform like YouTube.

These "The Boost" videos that we make on contract as a sales training resource for Intel, for example:

In much the same way, Vessel has contracted LMG the production company to create an original series for their platform. They bankrolled the whole thing, giving us an opportunity to make something that otherwise would have been too costly, and per the licensing agreement they own the right to exploit this content. It's their show until such time as they decide it's not anymore.

We played more of a "production company" role in this than we're accustomed to.

This could, and SHOULD have been communicated better, and for that I'm sorry. The community should have heard about this from us FIRST, and not from a random email newsletter, but I've been (and so has the whole team) absolutely busting ass to not only get Nerd Sports produced, but also make sure that we're keeping up with everything else that we've got going on including not having missed a single day of LTT uploads for something like 5 years..

With that said, quantity isn't everything, and I've noticed that not everyone has appreciated the LTT content as much as usual lately, but it's hard for me to tell if that's because they don't like our new direction (fewer reviews, and more exploratory or experimental videos) or if they just saw a video or two they didn't like and raised hell in the comment section - it wouldn't be the first time.. And I will say, too, that honestly if a couple of the videos felt rushed then it's probably because they were.. HOWEVER, the primary reason for the rushed videos was  the entire week we're taking off this week to film Scrapyard Wars Season 4, which will be premiering on Vessel sometime in the next few weeks or so, followed by a release on YouTube 1 week later, which is the standard agreement for OUR content that is paid for by LMG or our sponsors.

Nerd Sports was shot 40% during evenings and weekends with employees taking time in lieu later on when we hire some more staff or when things slow down a little. We were careful to avoid disrupting any of our other commitments because imo you guys deserve the best we can deliver.

Which is another point that was brought up in this thread - "How will LMG keep its commitment to maintain the pace and quality of the other content if they're making Nerd Sports or other contractual content?"

We couldn't. We're hiring.

I've never shied away from investing in more staff or better equipment or a better facility to make sure that we're doing our best for ourselves, each other, our sponsors and our viewers. If we play our cards right, absolutely everyone wins.

Nerd Sports has been a fantastic learning experience for us, and whether we continue the series with Vessel, create other completely different web series in the future, or just say "fudge it" and flip burgers from now on, we'll be able to do those things better than we could have without having done this.

So bottom line is this. I screwed up the way I communicated "LMG content", which was meant to be content funded BY Linus Media Group rather than content funded entirely by and licensed to a 3rd party, and I screwed up in a MUCH bigger way the LACK of communication about this project. Sorry guys.

If you could convince Vessel to get their collective shits together and support 4K playback then I would sign up in an instant.

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

Thanks for the clarification @LinusTech personally i wasn't too worried though it seemed odd since it was basically labeled as Channel Super Fun and you said that content would be everywhere.

11 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

IT's late and I'm both hungry and tired from shooting Scrapyard Wars (which by the way is an LTT series and will be airing ad-supported on YouTube very soon for your viewing pleasure).

But there are a few points to address and you've already been patient enough.

I said LMG content would always be free. This was poor wording on my part. There has always been content produced by me and my team that was not necessarily available on a free platform like YouTube.

These "The Boost" videos that we make on contract as a sales training resource for Intel, for example:

In much the same way, Vessel has contracted LMG the production company to create an original series for their platform. They bankrolled the whole thing, giving us an opportunity to make something that otherwise would have been too costly, and per the licensing agreement they own the right to exploit this content. It's their show until such time as they decide it's not anymore.

We played more of a "production company" role in this than we're accustomed to.

This could, and SHOULD have been communicated better, and for that I'm sorry. The community should have heard about this from us FIRST, and not from a random email newsletter, but I've been (and so has the whole team) absolutely busting ass to not only get Nerd Sports produced, but also make sure that we're keeping up with everything else that we've got going on including not having missed a single day of LTT uploads for something like 5 years..

With that said, quantity isn't everything, and I've noticed that not everyone has appreciated the LTT content as much as usual lately, but it's hard for me to tell if that's because they don't like our new direction (fewer reviews, and more exploratory or experimental videos) or if they just saw a video or two they didn't like and raised hell in the comment section - it wouldn't be the first time.. And I will say, too, that honestly if a couple of the videos felt rushed then it's probably because they were.. HOWEVER, the primary reason for the rushed videos was  the entire week we're taking off this week to film Scrapyard Wars Season 4, which will be premiering on Vessel sometime in the next few weeks or so, followed by a release on YouTube 1 week later, which is the standard agreement for OUR content that is paid for by LMG or our sponsors.

Nerd Sports was shot 40% during evenings and weekends with employees taking time in lieu later on when we hire some more staff or when things slow down a little. We were careful to avoid disrupting any of our other commitments because imo you guys deserve the best we can deliver.

Which is another point that was brought up in this thread - "How will LMG keep its commitment to maintain the pace and quality of the other content if they're making Nerd Sports or other contractual content?"

We couldn't. We're hiring.

I've never shied away from investing in more staff or better equipment or a better facility to make sure that we're doing our best for ourselves, each other, our sponsors and our viewers. If we play our cards right, absolutely everyone wins.

Nerd Sports has been a fantastic learning experience for us, and whether we continue the series with Vessel, create other completely different web series in the future, or just say "fudge it" and flip burgers from now on, we'll be able to do those things better than we could have without having done this.

So bottom line is this. I screwed up the way I communicated "LMG content", which was meant to be content funded BY Linus Media Group rather than content funded entirely by and licensed to a 3rd party, and I screwed up in a MUCH bigger way the LACK of communication about this project. Sorry guys.

Glad to see more "production company" stuff from you guys, it's really been interesting the last year or so (?) to watch the direction you guys have moved in. The TV-like content has honestly had me watching a lot more than I used to. While the reviews are nice, a lot of it wasn't necessarily something I was willing to sit down and watch on my couch or when I'm hanging out with friends. When you guys released "Whole Room Watercooling" I was suddenly able to watch tech related stuff with my friends and family, who don't really care about computer hardware, and watch your content on our TV, because it was good entertainment. I absolutely love the direction you guys have gone, and can't wait to see what comes in the future, especially with Nerd Sports. Should be interesting. Best of luck!

2 minutes ago, TheProfosist said:

Thanks for the clarification @LinusTech personally i wasn't too worried though it seemed odd since it was basically labeled as Channel Super Fun and you said that content would be everywhere.

Yes, to put it mildly we were pretty pissed when we saw that eblast.. 

But people make mistakes, and we haven't been perfect throughout the process of getting this deal in place with Vessel either, so I'm not gonna let the asshurt get in the way of my excitement about releasing this series. 

It's the most ambitious project we've worked on yet!

@LinusTech looks like a fun set of videos, sadly, vessel and I are not getting on well, mostly them not letting me on the site to do things, dispite having had an account. but I like a lot of the new videos, some seem a bit rushed, but you guys are always doing way more with not enough people, it's part of what I like about you guys. anyway. thanks for the info. get some rest :)

Keep up the hard work keep your company moving forward we all appreciate the work and effort you put in for us and the content you provide

5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

It's the most ambitious project we've worked on yet!

That sounds great! Don't stop making great projects because people are nervous - that's what they do and will be doing for the rest of our civilization ;) 

Can't wait for the next videos. Cheers from Poland!

hey i have got one question. i want to watch your content add free and support you directly. do you make more money out of a single vessel view or a single youtube view?

because i dont know if i should wait for youtube red in my country or just go with vessel now.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

14 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

-clip-

To be honest I love most of your content. It is usually just factual (and humorous) enough to keep me interested. This is a rare thing for me. There are other tech channels that I won't mention here (but they are based in Cali and Washington) that I can't even watch any more. I want to support you but it can not be through Vessel. The quality of service offered by them is questionable at best. I really just dislike the whole format of the site. I have watched nothing but your videos on Vessel since I got my free trial and yet fail army and good mythical morning regularly show up above your channel on my main Vessel page. This is unacceptable to me. I want my most watched content to be at the top of my main page...always.

OK, Enough about Vessel. I love all these new segments, even Workshop, even though I already know the results Luke is going to get. I love this new direction the channel is taking with trying to put out more videos, even if some of them are "face-palm" worthy.

...and now I lost my train of thought....might be the beer.....anyway, you are hiring??? I only live a few thousand miles away, do you pay moving expenses??? LOL

3 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

hey i have got one question. i want to watch your content add free and support you directly. do you make more money out of a single vessel view or a single youtube view?

because i dont know if i should wait for youtube red in my country or just go with vessel now.

We can't get into specifics in terms of $/view, so I would just say use whatever platform suits you best. Views are all worth a lot to us (in many more ways that strictly $$).

If you're looking for an ad-free service, Vessel is there already, YT Red is yet to be announced in most regions.