I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry

well, by next month we'll know if vessel will make it

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

50 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Just admit that things changed and you are now willing to put things behind a paywall. In the past you said you wouldn't, but since then you have changed your mind. Simple as that.

But he's not putting his stuff behind a paywall. He's making content for a different company which has chosen to put it behind a paywall.

If he put LTT, FAP, or CSF behind a paywall then I would agree with you. 

What I meant by time change is that the projects LMG are contracted to do change. Up until now they have only been contracted to do commercials which they don't own and can be put behind paywalls (not that anyone would put a commercial behind a paywall :P). Now they are producing an actual show for people to watch. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It seems like people in this thread does not understand what sellout actually means. Here is the dictionary definition:

a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement.

You can't just brand everyone who changes as a sellout though. People like to make others happy so if they need to change their jokes, videos, songs to achieve that what's wrong? 

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

28 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

You can't just brand everyone who changes as a sellout though. People like to make others happy so if they need to change their jokes, videos, songs to achieve that what's wrong? 

I am not branding everyone who changes sellouts. I am specifically saying Linus is because he stated several times in the past that he would not do this specific thing. Then when Vessel dumped a bunch of money in front of him he did a 180. That is selling out. He was not selling out when he moved from unboxings to reviews and other types of videos because he never explicitly said he would not do that.

I think that if we look at the textbook definition of sellout, look at what Linus said (just what he said, word for word, without adding our own interpretation to it) and what he is doing, he is a sellout.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am not branding everyone who changes sellouts. I am specifically saying Linus is because he stated several times in the past that he would not do this specific thing. Then when Vessel dumped a bunch of money in front of him he did a 180. That is selling out. He was not selling out when he moved from unboxings to reviews and other types of videos because he never explicitly said he would not do that.

I think that if we look at the textbook definition of sellout, look at what Linus said (just what he said, word for word, without adding our own interpretation to it) and what he is doing, he is a sellout.

Forgive me if I'm making an incorrect assumption (I haven't read the rest of the thread/your replies), but I don't think it's fair to expect someone's stance on a matter to never change, and if vessel was getting exclusive LTT, CSF, or TQ content then I would agree wholeharderedly that he's a sellout (in a negative way). But since this is new content that SHOULDNT affect any existing content then I only see him being a sellout on a technicality (so not one that actually matters).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And I and a lot of other people it seems disagree. LMG is a media production company. They don't own the stuff they make for other people. Someone came and asked them to make some content for them. The content that LTT, FAP, and CSF produce is still available on ad supported platforms. 

You keep saying LMG and LTT and co. are the same thing. They aren't. LMG has always been making content which was not put on any of it's YouTube channels. This is not a departure from that business model. If It was LTT or co. content then it would be a departure.

Linus isn't paying to make this. He is being payed to make it. 

laptop

This is a pretty tearing situation. Personally, i don't want to pay for LMG content, but i love what they do. To me they're a community driven company, unlike TV shows. There is plenty of community interaction and feed back. Something like that changes how this content is being received. Putting it behind a paywall breaks the link that was built through close support of free (cannon) content.

As LAwLz said, it's targeting towards the same kind of audience that hurts too, but I dont think LMG could have targeted a different audience, seeing who they are and how tailored they are to this relatively niche group.

The way Linus has gone about this in a bit of a funny way. It's a twist on what he had originally said - with that being said, do I think he's a sell out? No. Businesses need to change and grow, the way this is done when a company is as close as it is to its audience is much harder. But it could have been done much better. Live and learn.

Vessel has been a real double edged sword imo, giving a huge hand when they needed it, with the move to a proper studio space and whatnot, but now they're being much more sneaky. Linus is a gold mine for them, and they've made sure to get the most out of him. More growing pains i guess. 

I wont be paying for the vessel content, as much as I love LTT I don't see it being what people like about the working LMG crew environment the best CSF videos are when they play games like the pictionary episode - lots of in jokes and more info about the people then what we'll see in the up coming series. The spots CSF epps. don't do it for me.

That being said I think it'll have traction enough to keep going, its a very "catchy" premise, seeing people try, struggle then fail at sport (think takeshi's castle).  

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I hear a lot of people saying that they will never get to see "Nerd Sports" because it is behind a paywall.

Can any single person honestly say that over the course of an entire year, you would never be able to come up with $20?

It really isn't as massively unreasonable as you people are making it out to be.

Nobody owes you free content.

glad to see linus and the team start a new venture. Looks like it is going to be produced more like a TV series. As long as the other channels stay the same and we don't

get LTT or CSF behind the same wall i don't see how Any One could consider them sell out. Pewdiepie  did the scare pewdiepie thing and it was extra content he still does every thing he used to and it a way for him to try new things with the backing of another company incase the venture doesn't  go as well or starts to drain his main funds.

2 hours ago, drwiggles said:

I hear a lot of people saying that they will never get to see "Nerd Sports" because it is behind a paywall.

Can any single person honestly say that over the course of an entire year, you would never be able to come up with $20?

It really isn't as massively unreasonable as you people are making it out to be.

Nobody owes you free content.

No, but he did say that all LMG content would still be available for free

7 minutes ago, AxelRantila said:

No, but he did say that all LMG content would still be available for free

But LMG isn't paying for this. Vessel owns the show and has hired LMG to make it. This isn't the same as if he had put LTT, FAP, or CSF videos behind a paywall. LMG has been making content on demand for other companies. We never cared until now as the other stuff wasn't interesting to most LTT fans. Now that LMG is being payed to make something that interests LTT fans people are saying Linus is selling out and going back on his words. How? Nothing has changed. This is just another thing LMG is making for a company. 

laptop

20 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

So you say you're "hiring" Wouldn't a big new enterprise like a new show at the behest of Vessel require you to hire before you start shooting not to affect your current content (Some of it which is partially crowd funded no less) and also your current employees well being?

I know Vessel probably made it worth your while but even if they're in a hurry to convert us free trial subscribers most people probably are biting back because Vessel completely fucked you over with their announcement as well. This feels rushed, disorganized, even more so than what you guys usually work like.

As always the criticism of me and Linus Media Group is a mixture of both valid points and false conclusions that were drawn by making assumptions.

I'll start with the assumption that we didn't bring on new staff proactively. We have hired both employees and contract workers to help bridge the gap while we've been dealing with Nerd Sports. My wife was brought on in January to help with planning and pre-production, we've added a new guy who isn't past his probation yet, and therefore hasn't appeared on camera or on our site who has been helping with general organization and pre-production (as well as helping us get the warehouse organization under control), we brought back this guy:

who, as you can see, has worked for us on a contract basis before, we've brought on a new contract writer for Fast As Possible, we have a very promising in person interview on Friday for a video editor position, and we're hiring a part-timer to help with LTT episode planning who should be starting any time now. In addition to these hires, we brought anywhere from 2-6 contract workers with us to each of the Nerd Sports shoots to handle extra camera operation, sound, and even episode talent.

So yes, our organization could be better, and we're scrambling a little bit, but it's as much to do with rapid growth as anything else. Believe it or not (and anyone who's ever run a business will know this) it's NEVER as simple as "why not just hire more people". You have to FIND the right people, negotiate a deal with the right people, work around the schedules and existing commitments of the right people, and finally TRAIN the right people. It often ends up in the short term being several times more work than just doing it yourself. 

I don't expect any sympathy for this. I'm just explaining it so that people will hopefully better understand what's going on behind the scenes.

Vessel fucked him over by saying it was channel super fun, something people actually pay money for. People read oh that show you sponsor with your cash? Yeah we're releasing a new one that's exclusive to this other paid service.

Now we can all speculate whenever this was planned and Linus backpedal it or whenever Vessel just completely fucked him over and greatly hurt his reputation by being preemptive or flatout wrong in announcing it like that but come on, it doesn't takes a lot to see why folks are upset.

The proof for this is fairly easy. In the one part of the email newsletter Vessel sent out that was actually MADE by Linus Media Group Inc (the 15 second trailer) the series is referred to as Nerd Sports. There is no mention of Channel Super Fun, Linus Tech Tips, or Tech Quickie. This was 100% intentional because Nerd Sports is a new property that was produced by Linus Media Group for Vessel as part of an exclusive licensing deal.

Another issue somewhat related to this is that there are so many different ways of supporting LMG that you have to use them all to get the full deal. 

For example,  while you could support the CSF patreon, it still doesn't allow you to watch the videos early unless you also subscribe to vessel. 

Why don't we all just calm down a bit and agree, that the whole content of the LTT, CSF and TQ channels will be free to watch on youtube for everyone?

Since Linus Media Group (LMG) is a video production company and has produced (probably) many videos for companies (like @LinusTech mentioned in his post: Intel),

I don't see any valid argument why this shouldn't be allowed for Vessel.

There was miscommunication, which is very unfortunate. But we should all agree that this is no error LMG did, but rather an error on Vessel's side.

Furthermore, I honestly don't understand why so many people are now hating on LMG, if you don't like the content, don't watch it. LMG doesn't need non-constructive criticism, and we (LMG-Forums) don't need it too.

If it's not worth you 20 bucks a year, fine. I can't argue with that.

My last point on this conversation should go directly to @LinusTech:

THANK YOU for your honest answers to this topic so far, it's good to see that you're so committed to the community!

On 3/8/2016 at 4:52 PM, Henry said:

EDIT2: Holy crap, the comment section has gone crazy about something I didn't even notice in my post

EDIT: @LinusTech I'd rather you have a premium channel for early access than Vessel. Only reason ppl go on vessel is for you

Just got this email from Vessel.

The fact that Linus is all over this email, makes me think 99% of people on Vessel only go on Vessel because of Linus...
BTW this picture made me realize exactly how small Linus is, especially since Dennis, who's asian, is taller than him (or same height, can't tell because they aren't standing straight)

On 3/8/2016 at 4:54 PM, Str_Mape said:

Got the same email and had the same initial thought, however they also may tailor the email based on what you view, really wouldn't surprise me.

I got the same email too.

said that channelsuperfun would debut on vessel as well

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This is a perfect example of selling out.

Back when Vessel was announced, Linus made sure to state, over and over, that the content was just going to be early access, and he would still upload to YouTube. To quote Linus "everything we release will still go on YouTube as well", and "all Linus Media Group content will continue to be available for free and ad supported on both YouTube and Vessel" and I am fairly sure he said similar things in other videos and posts as well.

Then Vessel offers him money and oops, all of a sudden all the previous statements were just "badly worded" and no longer true. When it was convenient for him to say the content would go up on YouTube (back when people were very skeptical of Vessel) he said just that, but now when things has changed and he can make more money, he goes against it. That is selling out.

I will neither enjoy this new series (because I won't renew Vessel) and I won't pretend like it was never made because I was lied to, and so were you. If you are fine with being lied to then good for you I guess. What bothers me though is this sleazy attitude Linus has where he is going "oh it was just badly worded and miscommunication" instead of being honest and saying it how it actually is. The circumstances has changed and he is going back on his words.

Edit:

People seem to have this really backwards idea that anyone who criticizes a decision is a hater who just wants to hate. The exact opposite is true. The people voicing their opinions regarding bad decisions are the fans that truly cares. "The opposite of love is not hate. It's indifference", and I see a lot of people being indifferent in this thread.

I stand behind my recent statement that my previous statement was badly worded.

It was very badly worded - something I've already apologized for.

What I meant at the time is that for business and for personal reasons any

And we can argue about the semantics all day (Does "produce" mean "make" or does it mean "fund" as in an "executive producer" role?) but the simple answer is I'd never considered for a moment that anyone would ever WANT to pay us to develop a web series specifically for their platform. At the time LTT was a review channel (who the hell would want reviews by me all over their platform), Tech Quickie was what it always has been and likely always will be, and Channel Super Fun was the red-headed step child we could barely find time for.

Nothing we were doing a year ago made any sense as a standalone web series, annd we didn't have an plans to produce such a thing, so I would have never thought to clarify this point.

What I said was what I meant: All LMG content will be released for free and ad-supported.

And while it's not as simple as some people are making it out to be - Vessel does not own Nerd Sports outright, but rather has exclusive rights to promote and monetize it - It's also not LMG content in the strictest sense either because we COULD have made it by funding it ourselves, but WOULDN'T have done so because our existing monetization model wouldn't allow us to make back the money, making it an irresponsible risk.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. LMG content - that is Linus Media Group funded content - will always be available on a free, ad supported platform. That isn't, and shouldn't be construed as a promise that it'll be within a week of its premiere. If we were ever to make (make for ourselves with our own money or through community or sponsorship funding) a feature film or something (not that it's on the roadmap), it would be behind a paywall for a considerable amount of time for sure.

And my final point - as a nail in the coffin of the "Linus lied" argument - is that no one has even asked me if the Vessel exclusivity  expires and what we plan to do with the content if and when such a thing happens.

It DOES, and at such time we would post it to a free, ad supported platform.

Just don't hold your breath, because it's going to be a bit of a wait.

12 hours ago, CGurrell said:

I think the community has some questions for @LinusTech. Obviously it's up to him which to answer, if any, but hopefully he sees this and can put some issues to rest:

1. Will the Nerd Sports content ever not be behind a paywall on Vessel? Will it eventually be released for free at a later date, similar to other Vessel content?

2. Will Nerd Sports be a series, or a one-off video?

3. Has the filming of Nerd Sports impacted any other content produced by LTT? 

4. The email from Vessel has claimed the new content to be a CSF feature, which we believe is not true at this point in time. Have you got any updates regarding this matter?

5. The general complaints about the new content have been that expected results have been found, e.g. in the Liquid Cooling heating up the room video, the expected result is that no energy is ever lost (thanks, physics...), so the heat output should be the same.

6. Can we expect some kind of schedule at any point in the future (besides days where NDAs finish) Things like Holy S**t Sundays, Workbench Wednesdays and other alliteration based days?

And finally... 

7. When can we expect the release of the new Scrapyard Wars?

If anyone has any questions they want to add, just reply with them and I'll add them to this. Like I said earlier, no guarantee Linus decides to respond at all (I'm not thinking he will, he sounds very busy at the moment with all of the content coming out) but hopefully we can get some clarification soon.

1. Yes. The exclusivity window is very long, however. Years.

2. It is already a series. We've shot 5 episodes.

3. We've hired additional staff (both contract and regular) and shifted job duties around to fill the gaps. It's certainly "impacted" other content, but I don't believe it's made it worse. Having Taran edit some Channel Super Fun videos, for example, hasn't bothered anyone, and in fact no one seemed to noticed based on the comments on the Odious Censor video.

4. No updates. The original internal name for Nerd Sports was "Channel Super Fun Sports" when we were considering doing it ourselves, and when we originally pitched it as an idea to Vessel, but throughout the negotiation process the concept changed to the point where it was so different from Channel Super Fun and all of our other properties that we decided it needed to be its own brand with only "A Linus Media Group production" tying it to everything else we do.

5. Yeah I've seen those complaints about the room water cooling video. My response to anyone saying that video is unnecessary is this: "Go read the comments under that video and tell me again that it was unnecessary. Half the people down there STILL don't understand."

6. Unlikely. We make what we're excited and passionate about. Sometimes it's a review, sometimes it's a Holy Shit episode. It's an idea we've been kicking around literally for years, but it's never stuck. I love the variety and I think (by and large) our audience does too.

7. Soon. We've taken this entire week of producing regular content to focus on shooting Scrapyard Wars Season 4.

12 hours ago, Jobbe03 said:

See.. Here's the thing... I don't mind you guys making exclusive content, I really don't. (I would never pay to see it)

What's bothering me is I honestly don't believe for one second you "worded" it wrong to begin with. I think you meant every word you said but when they put an offer on the table it was too good to reject. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, that's how the world works and if anything I'm happy you guys are growing as a brand.

That being said... You don't owe me anything but I'd appreciate and respect the truth so much more.

I meant every word I said, but I didn't consider us being hired by someone else as a production house to be LMG content at the time of making the deal with Vessel.

I never thought to clarify that the content we produced for other entities was separate from the content we made by ourselves because we'd never made something for a separate entity that (frankly) I thought anyone would want to watch anyway.

The truth is that I should have communicated better at the time (but my crystal ball told me LMG would never be more than 5 people working out of a house, so..) and that I should have proactively told my community - who obviously cares so much about this or they wouldn't bother sharing their concerns with me - that we were negotiating this and shooting it.

So the situation changed - someone paid us to make something GOOD instead of something to promote their brand or whatever - and I wasn't considerate enough to keep my community abreast of the situation. This is what I'm trying to address by answering as many of these questions as I can in this thread.

Sorry, this was my bad :(

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I really don't understand why you even wrote the first part of your post. If someone says "we will upload all content to YouTube", then proceeds to not upload all the content to YouTube, then they broke their word. Of course it was created for Vessel, since it is a Vessel exclusive thing. Obviously it was not created for YouTube since it isn't on YouTube. That still does not matter though. They still broke their word that they would not make exclusive content for Vessel. Back when everyone was freaking out that Linus would upload videos to Vessel he repeatedly said that all content would still be uploaded to YouTube. He did not say "all normal LTT videos". He said all content. He did not just say it once and it was poorly worded either. He said the same thing in multiple ways in different videos, on Twitter, on live streams etc. I find it hard to believe that he had plans to make exclusive content for Vessel back then, and then just happened to "word it poorly" in every single instance he talked about it. I can give him that he might have worded it poorly once, but not that many times.

I do understand business. I completely understand that Linus went back on his word because he could profit from it. That's business. What I don't like is that he pretends like this was planned all along and we viewers just misunderstood his previous statements, which we clearly didn't. Back then he tried to calm people down because people were worried this exact situation would happen. He said what he needed to say to calm people down. Now that people have calmed down he is fully willing to put content behind a paywall though. You might call it "how business works", but I call it being dishonest (those two words are basically synonyms).

If he had just said "yep I didn't expect things to turn out like this, but Vessel made me a very attractive offer I just didn't want to turn down" then I would have been less upset. It's the "oh that statement from a year ago was poorly worded" bullshit that makes me mad.

Yes, I said all content, and what I meant was all LMG content, which at the time was ALL funded by LMG with the exception of like.. ads

I didn't know a year ago that at some point in the future someone would pay us to make content for them. I'd have laughed and said "nah man, that's FreddieW level shit right there" and gone about drowning a laptop or something.

So it was poorly worded repeatedly because I didn't understand that the definition needed to encompass something I'd never considered creating.

You can see this as a lie by misrepresentation or a lie by omission or whatever kind of lie you want to call it - and to be clear I'm really sorry for deceiving anyone in my audience.. I know as well as anyone that that shit does NOT fly on the Internet - but it was an honest mistake.

I'm not pretending this was planned all along. it was not at all. I hope that much is clear :P

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

-Snip-

I have a question that is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, and I am unashamedly going through with it for the glory of, well, me.  

Think once you got a more firmer place monetarily, as I can only assume that things must be a little hectic and stressful with all the new hires, upcoming events like Computex, and I am sure still settling the flow of things, but; do you think there will ever be an LMGLan?  Getting some sponsors / industry contacts together and hosting a land party with computer stations set up, etc.  :>

6 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

snip

hm maybe you guys should consider finding someone who's job is to basically plan out your weeks/months and do stuff like this. some kind of agenda guy who plans everything. (idk maybe you got someone alredy doing this. im not sure) 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

@LinusTech While communication from both LMG/You and Vessel could've been better, I do have to say it is pretty cool to see LMG take a new step in something different from content for like the people on this site and stuff that a company commissions for like an internal use.

Vessel seems like it might be trying to go towards the way of Netflix, Hulu and Youtube Red with exclusive content.

Essentially Netflix originals which is pretty cool as well. Regardless you just do you whatever that is.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

15 hours ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I will not be buying vessel. Screw that. My year of free vessel was nice while it lasted but the last thing I see myself doing is getting early access to bufferville where by the time a vessel video has done buffering at 144p it's already available, in 1080p, on Youtube without buffer. I'm a massive CSF fan and frankly prefer that style content over the direction LTT's main channel has been going recently (I honestly appreciate that you do what you find interesting, and if that's experimental videos and networking then you do you. But every single workbench video of A vs B has turned out in the end to have no difference whatsoever). I've been a diehard LTT fan for about as long as I remember, and im probably going back to early 2013 area and LTT's forums are probably one of my biggest past times. The fact remains however that while I was against vessel to begin with, I was reassured that all LTT content was always going to remain free to access forever. And while @LinusTech and @nicklmg can bring up examples of sponsored videos either on their own channel(s) and on other channels, the fact remains these are free to access to most people (ad-supported). What gets me is that in the case of something like Nerd Sports, the target audience and the people who spend their time watching these videos are not the same as sponsored content or reviews for manufacturers. The people who watch CSF and Nerd Fights are the more diehard, long term, returning loyal LTT viewers and audience. The kind that would watch a 20 minute long video about a thousand dollar thunderbolt cable with zero intention to even buy the product. The real fanbase of the channel is the one that is ostracized by this decision to put content like Nerd Sports behind a paywall.

You may be gaining the income of running Nerd Sports through an exclusive deal with Vessel, but you need to understand that the audience you hurt most are the ones that watch every video you make, watch all your Wan Shows and take part in community interaction on the forums, social media and other platforms. This isn't a sponsored video on a CPU feature for Intel that appeals to an audience of people wishing to use this feature, this is a video series on Tech Youtubers playing sports, something that a viewer just interested in watching relevant reviews on a case they intend to buy would have no interest in. A last example I am going to give is someone like my brother who while he is a (console) gamer, could care less about every single LTT and Tech Quicke video you have ever made and most likely you will ever make. He subscribes and watches Channel Super Fun religiously. This is the following that you are isolating by putting certain content behind a paywall, something you clearly said you would not when you first started the vessel migration.

While I don't expect a reply from either Linus nor Nick. I feel better that I've had my say in the matter and hope that between LTT and Vessel, we may see a compromise on Nerd Sports. I'd rather wait a month later and watch the episode on youtube late than be that guy who pirates or watches youtube reuploader's Nerd Sports videos to gain access to the content I desire to watch. We want to support LTT but if I have no way to support Nerd Sports in an unpaid platform, I and probably many others would turn to watching stolen rips of the content.

A lot of content creators and consumers were wary of YoutubeRed and the inherit issues of content behind paywalls and pledged to not go down that route. I see LTT heading there as soon as Youtube catches glimpse of this Vessel Exclusive stuff. 

Yep, it's true that Nerd Sports is different from other paid production projects we've done in the past in the sense that people might actually care about it.

And it wasn't an easy decision to produce this with Vessel knowing they intended to put the content behind a paywall.

We live for reading the comments on our videos and seeing them reach the broadest audience possible.

The problem though, is that Nerd Sports is an idea we've had for quite some time, but that we wouldn't be able to finance on our own with any hope of recouping the cost.. So we had to choose between "make it for Vessel" and "don't make it".

I understand as well as anyone that no one likes paying for something when they're used to getting it for free, but that's why it's so important to us to keep up with our existing free projects in addition to Nerd Sports. I don't want someone like your brother to feel like all the support he's given us is going into a project he'll never get to enjoy. That's not the case, and we will continue all our existing projects with the same zeal and fury you've come to expect. Unless there's some compelling reason to shift our focus.. like if Linus Cat Tips takes off or something.

As for the piracy comment. I can't support piracy, but since I'm a smart "Internet Generation" guy who is well-enough aware of the ease with which pirates can download our "early access" content it doesn't surprise me that some people intend to pirate Nerd Sports.

Just now, givingtnt said:

hm maybe you guys should consider finding someone who's job is to basically plan out your weeks/months and do stuff like this. some kind of agenda guy who plans everything. (idk maybe you got someone alredy doing this. im not sure) 

You can't plan our clients. If you could running a business would be so much easier than it is. :(

-KuJoe

@LinusTech, In the beginning of the Nerd Sports trailer it says "A LINUS MEDIA Group Production"... If all you meant in the previous video is that all LMG content would be free, how is this different?