[UPDATE] AMD hosting "capsaicin" live webcast at GDC on March 14th-could announce Fury X2 and demo Polaris

DocSwag

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-capsaicin-gdc-2016-live-webcast/

AMD has just announced that they will be hosting their “Capsaicin” live webcast at GDC to showcase the latest innovations from the Radeon Technology Group. AMD has been talking about spicing things up at GDC as Chris Hook who serves as the marketing director at AMD tweeted on his profile that they will preview some very hot and spicy new innovations at this year’s GDC.

Last year, AMD announced their latest LiquidVR software program for Radeon graphics cards. NVIDIA used the event to unveil their insanely fast (and expensive) GeForce GTX Titan X graphics card. This year, both graphics makers will be at it again, showcasing their latest products, in hardware and software form. AMD has revealed that they will be indeed by showcasing a lot of stuff at their exclusive live webcast titled as “Capsaicin”. From the press release which you can read below, it definitely seems like AMD is up to something big, showcasing both hardware and software side advances. The company states that not only will the have some demos for GCN from industry veterans, but will also preview new silicon and software advancements.

New silicon looks like AMD is referring to Polaris since the last new silicon that was launched by AMD was their Fiji graphics card and that’s just about a year old now (9 months to be exact). But that won’t be it, AMD has both HTC and Oculus at their event too so this could mean AMD is going to launch their Fury X2 graphics card at GDC 2016 which was specifically delayed to align with the VR market. Knowing that both HTC and Oculus have announced their VR HMD (head mounted displays), now might be the best time for AMD to reveal their fastest dual-chip graphics card.

Well this will be interesting. The AMA from a little while back didn't give us much information, so this might be our chance to learn more about Polaris and the Furyx2. Hopefully we will learn some more about AMDs upcoming projects at GDC on March 14th.

[UPDATE 3/11]

AMD has just teased Polaris for the Capsaicin event. Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-give-sneak-peak-polaris-march-14-capsaicin-gdc-press-event/

AMD has just tweeted a teaser stating that a sneak peak of Polaris is coming at 4PM 14th of March at the Capsaicin GDC webcast. The webcast will be hosted by Radeon Technologies Group’s head Raja Koduri. During the event the company has stated that there will be demonstrations of next generation hardware, software and games. Furthermore the company is promising that Capsaicin will explore the “inner essence” of the graphics processing unit.

AMD Polaris Capsaicin

As well:

In addition to promising a sneak peak at Polaris as well as discussions around next generation DirectX 12 games and AMD’s DirectX 12 and VR initiatives, we have it on good authority and via leaks on AMD’s website that the event will include the announcement of the fabled dual Fiji Fury X2 graphics card. Which is now called the Radeon Duo Pro. The announcement will also be accompanied by the introduction of several Radeon Duo Pro powered, compact, extreme high-performance systems.

It seems the FuryX2 could be called the Radeon Duo Pro, but leaks like this have been false before, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm excited for this! Do you guys want me to just update this topic with info as it comes out or make a new topic?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

If you could highlight the text in the quotes and press the Remove Format button (directly the left of Size), that would be neat.

Oooooooh boy, If you thought the R9 Fury was a hot card just wait till you see our new "capsaicin" branded ones. You'll be able to cook dinner on it

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

What if Fury X2 is 14nm? Maybe that's why they waited

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

If nVidia is set to announce the Titan Pascal then that'd make a lot of sense. Two fury cores for the power consumption of one?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just now, Fetzie said:

If nVidia is set to announce the Titan Pascal then that'd make a lot of sense. Two fury cores for the power consumption of one?

Pascal Titan is due Feb 2017. Was leaked last year

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

23 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

If you could highlight the text in the quotes and press the Remove Format button (directly the left of Size), that would be neat.

Done.

Does it bother some of you? Or is it because some of you use the dark theme and (I think) there is some white highlight so it makes it impossible for you to read it?

Just curious. I will remember to do that in the future.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Done.

Does it bother some of you? Or is it because some of you use the dark theme and (I think) there is some white highlight so it makes it impossible for you to read it?

Just curious. I will remember to do that in the future.

That, and sometimes the text gets changed to a font that's even harder to read with a white background.

EDIT: When you copy and paste, use the "paste as plain text" option.

27 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Nope. For some odd and stupid reason they delayed it for a VR launch. It needs to be scrapped already.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

38 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

That, and sometimes the text gets changed to a font that's even harder to read with a white background.

EDIT: When you copy and paste, use the "paste as plain text" option.

Ok gotcha :).

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Ok gotcha :).

Sometimes not even a white background, sometimes just dark text on dark background meaning it's unreadable without selecting the text to create a white background to make it legible. 

Removing format should be put in a sticky somewhere. I think at least one third of the quotes on this forum are bad for night theme. 

On topic: will definitely be launching Fury X2 (at 28 nm of course) and probably demoing some Polaris on the hardware side. Now what software they'll be showing off is uncertain. Probably more GPUopen stuff and maybe some surprises. I can imagine they'll show off some Linux stuff in particular.

Every time I hear "Polaris" all I can think of is...

2014_Indy_SP.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 hours ago, Thunderjolt said:

Oooooooh boy, If you thought the R9 Fury was a hot card just wait till you see our new "capsaicin" branded ones. You'll be able to cook dinner on it

Wtf??? The Fury wasn't even a hot card. 

I do have a feeling that the initial batch of Polaris cards will use gddr5 and not hbm. One of the reasons is it would keep the FuryX2 as one of the only hbm cards, but the other reason is I just found this: http://wccftech.com/sk-hynix-hbm2-mass-production-q3-2016/ (I'm too lazy to post a topic on this so if one of you want to go ahead).

If you ask me hbm2 won't be ready by mid year because you can't use something that does exist. Perhaps the first Polaris cards will be low end ultra efficient cards, and we will get more powerful ones later this year in q3 or q4.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Fury x2 is not going to be 14nm. Way to much of an expensive to make, for such a niche product.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The Fury x2 seems kind of pointless now. With Polaris just around the corner (like 3 months or something?) I don't really see any sane person buying it.

Are you going to expect fury x2 performance from polaris launch in 3 months from now? I dont.

We have yet to hear anything about vega 10, that is the supposed big GPU.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

4 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

No way. Would be a waste, as the dual 490x will probably be out by december, or early next year.

3 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Are you going to expect fury x2 performance from polaris launch in 3 months from now? I dont.

We have yet to hear anything about vega 10, that is the supposed big GPU.

I do... Almost.

Just look at the previous dual GPU cards vs new gen single GPU cards

5970 -> 6970: About a 20% performance difference (in favor of the 5970). 600 vs 370 USD.

6990 -> 290X: About a 20% performance difference (in favor of the 6990). 700 vs 550 USD.

On top of that you also have to factor in all the drawbacks of dual GPU cards. It's not uncommon that crossfire doesn't work in games. Microstuttering is still a thing. Cooling is far worse because of the limited space. You know, the usual dual GPU drawbacks.

I just think, and hope, that Polaris will be such a big leap forward that anyone who buys this Fury x2 once it launches will regret it.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I do... Almost.

Just look at the previous dual GPU cards vs new gen single GPU cards

5970 -> 6970: About a 20% performance difference (in favor of the 5970). 600 vs 370 USD.

6990 -> 290X: About a 20% performance difference (in favor of the 6990). 700 vs 550 USD.

On top of that you also have to factor in all the drawbacks of dual GPU cards. It's not uncommon that crossfire doesn't work in games. Microstuttering is still a thing. Cooling is far worse because of the limited space. You know, the usual dual GPU drawbacks.

I just think, and hope, that Polaris will be such a big leap forward that anyone who buys this Fury x2 once it launches will regret it.

I won't expect that performance until we see vega 10. We are first going to see low-mid end, so I wont expect huge performance increase on current high end.

Games games implementation for dual GPU have pretty terrible scaling, that is correct.

But dual GPU does have its advantages in VR, which AMD more or less have intended the product for. 

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

4 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Pascal Titan is due Feb 2017. Was leaked last year

They'll still have to hold an official event though.  Watch out for them registering "Resiniferatoxin" just so they can one-up AMD :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Not gonna happen. It's too costly to shrink an existing architecture designed for a different process node, than just shrink down their polaris architecture. This is definitely due to Asetek's IP rights suit against Cooler Master and by proxy AMD. This is why we see the FuryX2 as a blower style card in the twitter pics.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

The Fury x2 seems kind of pointless now. With Polaris just around the corner (like 3 months or something?) I don't really see any sane person buying it.

Well 2x performance per watt does not mean twice the performance of the new cards. I don't think 14/16nm FF processes are optimized enough. But we will see of course. I still think FuryX2 will be the highest performing card, even after the new cards come along a few months later. Just like the 295x2 did. Even more if you consider using it for VR, where AMD supports 1 GPU per eye rendering.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

I won't expect that performance until we see vega 10. We are first going to see low-mid end, so I wont expect huge performance increase on current high end.

Well shit. I was expecting the high end cards to be out this summer. That's really disappointing if it turns out to be true.

17 minutes ago, Notional said:

Well 2x performance per watt does not mean twice the performance of the new cards.

True, but I never said it did. I was looking at previous dual GPU cards vs the high end single GPU card from the next generation. Dual GPU cards are not anywhere near double the performance of one of the individual GPUs. Scaling and thermal limitations makes them quite a bit worse. It usually ends up being more like ~85% of the performance.

21 minutes ago, Notional said:

Even more if you consider using it for VR, where AMD supports 1 GPU per eye rendering.

We don't know how well that will work yet. I would not be holding my breath that it will work flawlessly.