980ti Darwin Awards: Help

Zanderlinde
Just now, Praesi said:

Not realy. Doing this was beyond stupid..sorry.

It's like trying to stick the key in your car's ignition and not getting it lined up the first time, then getting your gun and shooting out the slot to make it fit.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I'm of a d.i.y. nature. Usually I'm able to fix shit. Obviously this is a level above any rational person to try. But you live and you learn. Emphasis on the learn. Thanks for the mockery guys, keep it up :)

P.S.  I did read the instructions. Many times. There are four threaded holes with standoffs to connect the bracket to the card. One of those holes didnt have that standoff, and was WAY misaligned with the hole on the card. I installed the card initially and ran it without that bolt on. But my pc crashed when I opened any gpu intensive task. Which I finally figured out was because that missing bolt allowed the cooler to rise off the gpu on one corner, so it wasn't making contact. It would jump to 100 degrees then crash my monitor. This was the only solution I came up with. Next time, i'm just gonna call the manufacturer and ask.

14 minutes ago, Zanderlinde said:

I'm of a d.i.y. nature. Usually I'm able to fix shit. Obviously this is a level above any rational person to try. But you live and you learn. Emphasis on the learn. Thanks for the mockery guys, keep it up :)

I can identify with that, I can count the number of times I've sent something back for repair on one hand, but...

Read the manual, man. That loss was absurdly disproportionate to the lesson. That's a lesson you should learn with a $10 picture frame, not a $1000 GPU (I believe you said it was $1000...).

EDIT: By the way, I'm really not trying to be mean, I'm just awestruck...

4 minutes ago, Zanderlinde said:

P.S.  I did read the instructions. Many times. There are four threaded holes with standoffs to connect the bracket to the card. One of those holes didnt have that standoff, and was WAY misaligned with the hole on the card. I installed the card initially and ran it without that bolt on. But my pc crashed when I opened any gpu intensive task. Which I finally figured out was because that missing bolt allowed the cooler to rise off the gpu on one corner, so it wasn't making contact. It would jump to 100 degrees then crash my monitor. This was the only solution I came up with. Next time, i'm just gonna call the manufacturer and ask.

I still can't imagine the mental leap that must occur to decide to drill a hole in your graphics card before asking any questions.

By the way, for things like this in the future, someone here almost always has an answer...

This has gotta be the dumbest thing I've seen on this forum... it's like washing a car with a Brillo pad. loll

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Well, at least pull the gpu off for a key chain or something. Might as well get something out of it. Probably not the brightest idea to do with a relatively new gpu, but if you had tried this say 10 years in the future I'd say Rock on!!! I've burned, cut, soldered, and utterly destroyed many many cards doing stuff like this. The difference was the value of each card was usually less than $10. Make sure it's 100% expendable before going crazy on it.

Never tell me the odds.” Followed by:  “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.” Which leads to:  “It’s a trap!”

At first I was horrified...now I can't stop laughing.  lol

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Should have asked before drilling, then fiddling with the soldering and breaking it in two.

matrix_gpu_980ti_fix_sag_support_bracket

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

The corsair bracket wasn't meant for your card bcs it is not a reference pcb (looks like it, but it has some componentry moved around bcs amp edition). If shit doesn't fit, you have an issue that can't and shouldn't be solved by hard modding the card. Also, NZXT makes a bracket that does the same thing as this does and it's universal and IMHO the better option.

Wow. I was really hoping this was a hoax, but it does look like a 980 Ti. The board would have been perfectly good for parts at least. Until you fried it.

Oh man, I've just seen your story on eTeknix and came to see if nayone posted it here... You done goofed m8.

Darwin award indeed.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

didnt you learn anything from linus? if stuff dont fit use zip ties for fuck sake. i mean who in their right mind thinks its a good idea to drill through a circuit board?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

There are no words to express my opinion towards the event in this thread.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Duuuuuuude! Noooooooooo! :( please please please before you do anything else ever again, do some research! 

oh  lawd....i died a little inside.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

I only hope the internet is able to derive $750 worth of entertainment from this tragedy.

I read about this on /r/pcmasterrace. You numpty, OP.

This has made it to reddit and the front page of anyone subscribed to /r/buildapc or /r/techsupportgore.  Came here to tell the OP: shake it off dude and don't let the mockery get you down.  We've _all_ screwed up and some point, and if we haven't, we will.  Also, your screw up taught me (and others) things about PCBs I did not know before.

Drink a cold one bro and enjoy the rest of your week..

I've seen a lot on the forum but this tops everything...
Why didn't you just buy a new case?

RTX2070OC 

10 minutes ago, fatkiddown said:

This has made it to reddit and the front page of anyone subscribed to /r/buildapc or /r/techsupportgore.  Came here to tell the OP: shake it off dude and don't let the mockery get you down.  We've _all_ screwed up and some point, and if we haven't, we will.  Also, your screw up taught me (and others) things about PCBs I did not know before.

Drink a cold one bro and enjoy the rest of your week..

To be fair, he did encourage the mockery in his OP. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch