980ti Darwin Awards: Help

Zanderlinde

I did something stupid, haha.

Recently bought a Zotac 980ti Amp GPU.  It worked fine. Gamed on it for a few days before realizing my processor sucked. So i switched my mobo to a z170 and i7 skylake.  

So here's what I did wrong. The heatsink for the Zotac card is huge, and doesnt fit in my custom case I made out of steel. So I bought a Corsair bracket to utilize a Corsair Hydro water cooler.
One of the holes on the card didn't line up with the hole on the bracket. (Design flaw I think.) And the screw needs to be there, or else the card bends when you screw down the water pump to the card.

So I masked off the card, and put it in my drill press and moved the hole just a tiny bit in. From what I can tell, I didnt drill through any circuits on the card. But now when I use the card on my brand new motherboard, The monitor won't boot. (keyboard and mouse both stay lit up, and the gpu fan is getting power) I know the board is fine, because I tested another gpu on it, and tested the 980ti on my friends board. (same problem).

I realize that I probly broke it, Just looking for other possible scenarios.  You can all mock me if you wish. Thanks! 

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/hydro-series-hg10-n980-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket

20160306_152742.jpg

20160306_152818.jpg

20160302_202059.jpg

Even if you didn't hit any circuits on the surface(visible to the eye), you may have drilled through circuits that are within the PCB itself, which often times are layered.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Wow.........just wow

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Ah. didn't occur to me at the time that the pcb was layered. Lesson definitely learned.

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Even if you didn't hit any circuits on the surface(visible to the eye), you may have drilled through circuits that are within the PCB itself, which often times are layered.

Bingo! Most PCBs for motherboards and components are typically 3 layers, and there will be traces between the layers to connect things together. As such, @Zanderlinde, trying to use solder will probably only make the situation worse, and you will risk compromising your motherboard in the process since you could end up shorting something. Declare it a loss and move on. $650+ lesson learned.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I wish lol. These retail for $1000 in Vancouver. I got it second hand for 750.

Correction, 650+ USD. 1000 CAD = ~750 USD, and 750 CAD = ~560 USD.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Just now, Zanderlinde said:

The result of my frustration.

Why did that happen?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Zanderlinde said:

You were right about the layers. I booted the pc while holding a metal screwdriver in the hole to simulate soldering the hole shut. But it just started smoking. The card is F**ked

But why did you snap/cut it in half?

3 minutes ago, Zanderlinde said:

Because I'm sad?

Oh well. I wonder if it could've been repaired back to a functioning state. I'm not sure if the damage was bad enough before to make it non-repairable.

That's what I posted here to find out. I don't think it was possible though. Thanks for the input everyone

10 hours ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

Man you weren't meant to screw anything into that hole at all.

I think this is definitely a case of failure to read the instructions....

17 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Oh well. I wonder if it could've been repaired back to a functioning state. I'm not sure if the damage was bad enough before to make it non-repairable.

It could have been repaired, could have.

Sell it to a third party repair or send it back to the factory and ask them to honor their warranty. Make sure you record and share their response, I'm dying to hear it.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Wow...how on Earth  you thought this was a good Idea? I mean realy Dude...wtf..:|

2 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

It could have been repaired, could have.

Sell it to a third party repair or send it back to the factory and ask them to honor their warranty. Make sure you record and share their response, I'm dying to hear it.

No Chance. He will not get a Penny.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

54 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Wow...how on Earth  you thought this was a good Idea? I mean realy Dude...wtf..:|

No Chance. He will not get a Penny.

That's the point.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

This thread just made me very sad... That thing didn't need to die...

I mean, I know I'm supposed to have sympathy, but... Seriously?

Who the hell drills a hole in their card before reading the instructions?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

*FACE PALM*

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

3 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

This thread just made me very sad... That thing didn't need to die...

I mean, I know I'm supposed to have sympathy, but... Seriously?

Who the hell drills a hole in their card before reading the instructions?

Not realy. Doing this was beyond stupid..sorry.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO