First Overclock Went Well: Watercooled 5820K MSI Gaming 9 ACK

Hola,

I decided to try out an overclock on my 5820K to see how far I can take it and be stable. I'm using an MSI Gaming 9 ACK and Corsair H115i watercooler. 

After reading a few articles and watching some videos, I went with a quick and dirty overclock to see what happens. I set my Core Ratio to 45, Vcore to 1.35, VccIN to 1.95. The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stress test ran stably at 83C, however it fluctuate constantly between 75C and 83C. Correct me if I'm wrong, CPU temps shouldn't go over 85C right? 

I then set Core Ratio to 46 which booted but it crashed during the test. Then I kept it at 45 turned down Vcore to 1.30 and it ran cooler at 76C, but still fluctuating between 68C and 76C. Is the fluctuation a problem with my cooler?

My main question is, should I play with higher VccIN and VCore? I heard for watercooling that 1.4 VCore is doable. What about the base clock? Keep it at 100 or bump it up?

i would switch to trying to raise the bclk but 83c is bad especially on watercooling! my OC is 4.7 off 3.5 bclk and i run 55c with a tower cooler. 

If you agree with my advice/Recommendation please give me a thumbs up. Thank you

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor OC @4.7ghz CPU Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5 Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory OC @3200 Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  

1 minute ago, Kolden said:

i would switch to trying to raise the bclk but 83c is bad especially on watercooling! my OC is 4.7 off 3.5 bclk and i run 55c with a tower cooler. 

Really? My CPU idles at around 39C on these settings and kicks up to 76-83C on the stress test. What's going on?

my CPU idles around 22c with a tower cooler at a 4.7 OC and never exceeds 55c on one single occasion i managed to get it to 71c but i would lower my oc at 80c you never want to exceed 80. you may want to check you thermal paste, or your contact with the heatsink. with a water cooler i wouldnt expect you to ever exceed 65c tbh

If you agree with my advice/Recommendation please give me a thumbs up. Thank you

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor OC @4.7ghz CPU Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5 Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory OC @3200 Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  

20 minutes ago, Kolden said:

my CPU idles around 22c with a tower cooler at a 4.7 OC and never exceeds 55c on one single occasion i managed to get it to 71c but i would lower my oc at 80c you never want to exceed 80. you may want to check you thermal paste, or your contact with the heatsink. with a water cooler i wouldnt expect you to ever exceed 65c tbh

This is odd in my case then. I turned on Corsair Link and found out that the cooler was running on quiet mode so I put it on performance mode. It ran much louder and the stress test showed it the CPU at 70C compared to 76C before but that's still pretty high.

I had problems with boot when I built the rig so I unhooked the cooler and took the mobo to NCIX. I don't quite remember what temps it was. They applied some thermal paste when they gave it back. Maybe that could be the problem?

3 hours ago, Kolden said:

He has a 5820K. That advice only applies to Skylake.

@NavXIII, have you tried reseating the cooler?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

He has a 5820K. That advice only applies to Skylake.

@NavXIII, have you tried reseating the cooler?

Excuse my ignorance, reseating is just removing it and screwing it back on right? Will I need to reapply thermal paste?

I have a 5820k under a Corsair H110, I idle around 30c on the hottest core, max temps running OCCT is 71c, so your temps are normal for that sized AIO and voltages.

If you're going for huge overclocks you're better off with custom watercooling, while 83c is ok for short runs, it's not ok for long term use and will eventually degrade your chip.

I'm only running a 4.3Ghz@1.25v, I lost the silicon lottery and can't get any higher (Using a MSI x99a Gaming 7 board).

3 hours ago, NavXIII said:

Excuse my ignorance, reseating is just removing it and screwing it back on right? Will I need to reapply thermal paste?

Well, basically, yeah that's what reseating is. The point is to make sure it goes on right the second time, though XP

So you want to make sure it has enough pressure, it's not being blocked by anything, blah blah blah. I've had a couple motherboards in the past where the capacitors next to the socket actually propped my AIO block up at an angle and I nearly burnt my CPU to death.

You shouldn't have to reapply thermal paste, unless it's old or there isn't very much of it.

21 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Well, basically, yeah that's what reseating is. The point is to make sure it goes on right the second time, though XP

So you want to make sure it has enough pressure, it's not being blocked by anything, blah blah blah. I've had a couple motherboards in the past where the capacitors next to the socket actually propped my AIO block up at an angle and I nearly burnt my CPU to death.

You shouldn't have to reapply thermal paste, unless it's old or there isn't very much of it.

Check out the pictures. Can't quite tell if the plate is making contact with the CPU. I think it is.

Also after reseating, I get idle temps of 35C on the package and under the stress test it's 70C. Also it fluctuates a lot under the stress test. Every 2 seconds it would go from 65 to 70 and back to 65, etc.

31 minutes ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

I have a 5820k under a Corsair H110, I idle around 30c on the hottest core, max temps running OCCT is 71c, so your temps are normal for that sized AIO and voltages.

If you're going for huge overclocks you're better off with custom watercooling, while 83c is ok for short runs, it's not ok for long term use and will eventually degrade your chip.

I'm only running a 4.3Ghz@1.25v, I lost the silicon lottery and can't get any higher (Using a MSI x99a Gaming 7 board).

Wouldn't my 280mm cooler run colder than your 240mm cooler? If we're talking about hottest core then I get about 74C.

I only got 83C on 1.35V, which wasn't needed for 4.5GHZ. I get about 74C on 1.3V

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

Check out the pictures. Can't quite tell if the plate is making contact with the CPU. I think it is.

Also after reseating, I get idle temps of 35C on the package and under the stress test it's 70C. Also it fluctuates a lot under the stress test. Every 2 seconds it would go from 65 to 70 and back to 65, etc.

Wouldn't my 280mm cooler run colder than your 240mm cooler? If we're talking about hottest core then I get about 74C.

I only got 83C on 1.35V, which wasn't needed for 4.5GHZ. I get about 74C on 1.3V

Doesn't look like there's anything around the socket to obstruct it, and the paste is spread well so it was probably seated fine.

As for @Schoolofmonkey's input, a 240 rad and a 280 rad actually aren't that far apart. I personally don't have a 5820K (yet), so I'd take the opinion of someone who does over my own in terms of 'normal' temps.

13 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Doesn't look like there's anything around the socket to obstruct it, and the paste is spread well so it was probably seated fine.

As for @Schoolofmonkey's input, a 240 rad and a 280 rad actually aren't that far apart. I personally don't have a 5820K (yet), so I'd take the opinion of someone who does over my own in terms of 'normal' temps.

Alright. I still think it's odd that @Kolden's air cooler runs 15C lower than my liquid cooler. 

I guess I shouldn't try to push the overclock anymore if this is considered normal temps.

Alright. I still think it's odd that @Kolden's air cooler runs 15C lower than my liquid cooler. 

I guess I shouldn't try to push the overclock anymore if this is considered normal temps.

He has a 6600K. It's on a smaller process node, has fewer cores, has a lower TDP, it's just a completely different chip.

Just look at the packages. The 5820K is something like three times the size of the 6600K.

2 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

He has a 6600K. It's on a smaller process node, has fewer cores, has a lower TDP, it's just a completely different chip.

Just look at the packages. The 5820K is something like three times the size of the 6600K.

Whops, I didn't notice that.

Here is LTT's OC database. Can compare your 5820K to other members here with the same CPU.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 hours ago, NavXIII said:

Really? My CPU idles at around 39C on these settings and kicks up to 76-83C on the stress test. What's going on?

I'm surprised no one answers this puzzle. In Intel stress test, the program applies varying, instead of constant load, to the CPU. That's why the temp will fluctuate.

Also, you can only compare to other 5820K(or 5930K) in terms of temp and voltage. Less cores generate less heat. My 4790K will run at similar temp and voltage but at 4.8GHz, as my 5820K at 4.625GHz with the same cooling set up.

5 hours ago, NavXIII said:

No because the Corsair H110 is 280mm as well..lol..

I'm running Noctua Industrial fans and not the stock which makes a big difference.

By the look of your mounting pictures the cooler was mounted fine, I still think it's your overclock.

I all honesty, AIO's aren't that much better than a Noctua NH-D15 and custom cooling is much better for higher more aggressive overclocks.

This is due to the fact there's smaller amounts of liquid in the AIO which allows the hot liquid to circulate and not actually cool fully when going through the RAD, where with custom water cooling you have a reservoir with already cool liquid in it, so it remains a lot cooler. 

Don't go off Skylake temps they are different :-)

Here's a quick run of AIDA64 Stress test, OCCT gets the temps to around 75c as it's harder on the CPU.

IMG.png

1 hour ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

I'm running Noctua Industrial fans and not the stock which makes a big difference.

By the look of your mounting pictures the cooler was mounted fine, I still think it's your overclock.

I all honesty, AIO's aren't that much better than a Noctua NH-D15 and custom cooling is much better for higher more aggressive overclocks.

This is due to the fact there's smaller amounts of liquid in the AIO which allows the hot liquid to circulate and not actually cool fully when going through the RAD, where with custom water cooling you have a reservoir with already cool liquid in it, so it remains a lot cooler. 

Here's a quick run of AIDA64 Stress test, OCCT gets the temps to around 75c as it's harder on the CPU.

I use the average of 6 cores max to measure CPU temp. In your case, it'll be 68C instead of 71C.

What's your ambient temp?

52 minutes ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

What is OCCT? Oddly it doesn't show two of my cores, but I'm getting max CPU temps of 79C, which is still pretty high. Halfway through the test I ran the fans at max 2400 rpm which didn't bring the temps down. When I take off the overclock I still get idle temps around 39C and max CPU temps at around 50C.

stabilitytest.png

22 minutes ago, Deli said:

I use the average of 6 cores max to measure CPU temp. In your case, it'll be 68C instead of 71C.

What's your ambient temp?

Average of 24c, I have the air con on as it's 32c outside today.

I also have a eVGA GTX980ti Hybrid, so a lot of hot air (even idle) is venting outside my case, when I had my MSI GTX980ti Gaming 6G it would idle at 55c (due to the 0rpm fan feature), that brought the temps up in the case too.

12 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

What is OCCT? Oddly it doesn't show two of my cores, but I'm getting max CPU temps of 79C, which is still pretty high. Halfway through the test I ran the fans at max 2400 rpm which didn't bring the temps down. When I take off the overclock I still get idle temps around 39C and max CPU temps at around 50C.

OCCT is a stress testing app, like Prime95.

http://www.ocbase.com/

I actually have the Business edition of AIDA64, but while you're in the stress test windows select preferences you'll be able to select what you want to display in the statistics window.

IMG.png

I was also thinking, have you set your pump to full speed in the Corsair software and seen if that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, NavXIII said:

What GPU do you have in your rig? If you have a(or two) high end GPU, It can dump a lot of heat in to the case. And if you have the H115i set as exhaust. You're actually using the hot air from the GPU to cool the CPU. That might affect your CPU temp.

Intel extreme stress test is garbage, it doesn't find instability well at all.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

What GPU do you have in your rig? If you have a(or two) high end GPU, It can dump a lot of heat in to the case. And if you have the H115i set as exhaust. You're actually using the hot air from the GPU to cool the CPU. That might affect your CPU temp.

An old GTX 570 that I'll be replacing. 

13 minutes ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

I was also thinking, have you set your pump to full speed in the Corsair software and seen if that makes a difference.

Doesn't seem like the Quiet and Performance modes make a difference, but I have it set at Performance which is 2800 rpm compared to Quiet's 1800.

3 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Intel extreme stress test is garbage, it doesn't find instability well at all.

This is why I keep suggesting OCCT, I find it better and safer than Prime95, if I have an unstable overclock OCCT will find it within 1 - 10 minutes, if you pass an hour you're set.

4.3Ghz@1.25v is the max I can do with OCCT, any higher and I will fail, but I can pass Realbench fine.

I know people say it puts "unrealistic" loads on the CPU, but I would prefer that than not knowing my overclock is 100% stable.. xD

2 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

An old GTX 570 that I'll be replacing. 

Doesn't seem like the Quiet and Performance modes make a difference, but I have it set at Performance which is 2800 rpm compared to Quiet's 1800.

Yeah the GTX570 shouldn't heat up the case that much.

1.35v creates a lot of heat, even mine will hit 79c when using the same voltage, try lowering the voltage to 1.25v with the same overclock and see what happens.