My First PC Build

KillerKangaroo

I'm building my first Gaming PC, well my first build ever really. I ordered all the components already, as this is a gift from my parents. I plan to play BF4 with this. I hope to be able to play it on Ultra at 1080p, with around 60fps. Please rate this build, criticise it. Also, tell me what kind of performance I'm likely to get out of it. I just recently tried PC gaming, after playing on consoles. I won't give up on consoles though! :)

Here are the specs:

i5 4670k (Probably should have gone with the FX 8350)

MSi Z87-G45 Gaming ATX Motherboard LGA 1150

MSi GTX 760 OC Twin Frozr 2 GB (Probably should've gone with 4GB) - Will Sli in the future though, will that help for VRAM?

8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz (Should I go for 16GB? Will next gen utilize more than 8GB?)

1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HD

120 GB Samsung 840 Series SSD

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Corsair 750w PSU (I think it was the TX750 Model)

NZXT Source 210 Elite Case

Windows 7 or 8? (Haven't bought)

Monitor: Since I will SLI in the future, should I get a 120hz monitor? If so, can you suggest a 21 inch one for around $200, if not cheaper?

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013 Gaming mouse, Razer Orbweaver and possibly Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (Haven't bought yet)

I will receive everything around Christmas time. (Except 2nd GPU)

Thanks!

to the Vram question No SLI will not help with vRAM the 2GB you get is shared between the 2 cards and will not add up to 4GB personally I would of waited for the AMD R9 series cards if your building around christmas you would get bf4 free + the game is AMD optimised apparently (still runs well on intel).

to the Vram question No SLI will not help with vRAM the 2GB you get is shared between the 2 cards and will not add up to 4GB personally I would of waited for the AMD R9 series cards if your building around christmas you would get bf4 free + the game is AMD optimised apparently (still runs well on intel).

Thanks for the answer on the VRAM. I made a few mistakes on this build, I was sort of pressed for time, since I live in the Philippines, I had to get them on time for a box coming in for us from the US. Would the FX 8350 have been a better choice? Will the recommended VRAM for BF4 hurt my build a lot? I mean, will my build have problems running BF4 smoothly? Should I go with 16 GB of RAM? Will getting a 4GB 760 for SLI help? 

Don't sweat it. The i5 puts out a lot of power for a quadcore!

I don't have experience with their motherboards, but MSI makes some nice things.

MSi GTX 760 OC Twin Frozr 2 GB (Probably should've gone with 4GB) - Will Sli in the future though, will that help for VRAM?

Vram doesn't stack up..it'd still be 2GB regardless of how many cards you SLI. That said, it's not like that card is bad or anything.

8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz (Should I go for 16GB? Will next gen utilize more than 8GB?)

Only get 16GB if you /need/ it and not because you /want/ it. I don't see games taking advantage, but productive software would.

Good choice.

Again, good choice.

Standard.

Corsair units are p nice.

Cases are a personal preference so :T

I wouldn't switch to Win 8 from Windows 7 Ultimate, but that's just my opinion.

Don't sweat it. The i5 puts out a lot of power for a quadcore!

I don't have experience with their motherboards, but MSI makes some nice things.

Vram doesn't stack up..it'd still be 2GB regardless of how many cards you SLI. That said, it's not like that card is bad or anything.

Only get 16GB if you /need/ it and not because you /want/ it. I don't see games taking advantage, but productive software would.

Good choice.

Again, good choice.

Standard.

Corsair units are p nice.

Cases are a personal preference so :T

I wouldn't switch to Win 8 from Windows 7 Ultimate, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks! I might go for Windows 8, cause it's in the BF4 Recommended Specs. It runs some games better. Thanks for clarifying the VRAM thing again. Do you think that having the cards at 2GB and the recommended at 3GB will matter? For the i5, I got worried when a Quad Core Intel CPU and 6 Core AMD CPU were recommended. I assumed that an 8 Core AMD would've been better. Thanks again!

I am waiting to see I think the 3GB is really completely maxed AA enabled and everything else No AA you could probably still run it at ultra but definitely high.

I am waiting to see I think the 3GB is really completely maxed AA enabled and everything else No AA you could probably still run it at ultra but definitely high.

Thanks. Though with two 760s could I run it on Ultra with AA?

Thanks. Though with two 760s could I run it on Ultra with AA?

most likely SLI yes but we will have to wait and see how it does nobody can be sure yet.

most likely SLI yes but we will have to wait and see how it does nobody can be sure yet.

You're right. Thanks!

Thanks! I might go for Windows 8, cause it's in the BF4 Recommended Specs. It runs some games better. Thanks for clarifying the VRAM thing again. Do you think that having the cards at 2GB and the recommended at 3GB will matter? For the i5, I got worried when a Quad Core Intel CPU and 6 Core AMD CPU were recommended. I assumed that an 8 Core AMD would've been better. Thanks again!

It would work, but you might get some lag if a scene is too intense. Suppose it also depends on screen resolution as well. I know with only 1GB of vram on my card, I lag my system when running a 3D app and Photoshop at the same time sometimes. So at least with 2GB, you're somewhere in the middle. As for the CPU, unless you are planning to unzip thousands of zip files at the speed of light, I wouldn't worry too much of going with an i5 series chip.

The i5 4670K will be fine. I have an FX 8350 and its runs great.

My friend got this mobo and from what I've seen from his computer is great.

If you're really worried about having 4gb for Bf4 theirs this on newegg: MSI Gaming N760 TF 4Gb 

I agree with Coombzy though that I would wait for the R9 series cards first.

When playing games I only use 6GBs but I have 16GBs for rendering, media stuff and kind of the thing. I read some where that 12GBs will be good but I'm sure 8GBs is fine.

WD is very nice

My friend also has this and its fantasic.

Great air cooler.

Corsair PSUs are awesome.

Your preference, I have a NZXT case and I really like it, NZXT has very nice cases.

I like Windows 7 but Windows 8 is going to run the game better according to the recommended specs but I'm sure Windows 7 will be fine. It just depends on what you prefer.

Specs: | NZXT Phantom 410 | AMD FX 8350 | Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ SLI | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Seagate 2TB & 1TB 7200RPM | Corsair Neutron 240GB | Corsair HX850 | Windows 7 64-Bit | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2012 | Razer Deathadder 2012 | Dell 17" & ASUS 21.5" x2 Monitors | Blue Snowball | Audiotechnica M30X | 

It would work, but you might get some lag if a scene is too intense. Suppose it also depends on screen resolution as well. I know with only 1GB of vram on my card, I lag my system when running a 3D app and Photoshop at the same time sometimes. So at least with 2GB, you're somewhere in the middle. As for the CPU, unless you are planning to unzip thousands of zip files at the speed of light, I wouldn't worry too much of going with an i5 series chip.

Gonna run it at 1080p. I'm not sure if I'll get lag though with SLI. From what I understand, getting a 4GB 760 for the second card won't work. Thanks though!

120 Hz is not worth it when you can get an IPS panel for better picture quality.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The i5 4670K will be fine. I have an FX 8350 and its runs great.

My friend got this mobo and from what I've seen from his computer is great.

If you're really worried about having 4gb for Bf4 theirs this on newegg: MSI Gaming N760 TF 4Gb 

I agree with Coombzy though that I would wait for the R9 series cards first.

When playing games I only use 6GBs but I have 16GBs for rendering, media stuff and kind of the thing. I read some where that 12GBs will be good but I'm sure 8GBs is fine.

WD is very nice

My friend also has this and its fantasic.

Great air cooler.

Corsair PSUs are awesome.

Your preference, I have a NZXT case and I really like it, NZXT has very nice cases.

I like Windows 7 but Windows 8 is going to run the game better according to the recommended specs but I'm sure Windows 7 will be fine. It just depends on what you prefer.

Thanks! Though adding the 4GB Card in SLI won't help right? I already ordered 1 2GB, and I was thinking of going SLI with a 4GB one. I might go for 12GB RAM, though this is purely for gaming. Maybe just more extra measure. I'll probably go for Windows 8.

120 Hz is not worth it when you can get an IPS panel for better picture quality.

Is IPS better for FPS games? I would think that 120hz would be better.

Is IPS better for FPS games? I would think that 120hz would be better.

120 hz is only worth it if you play at a competitive level imo. An IPS panel will look much better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

120 hz is only worth it if you play at a competitive level imo. An IPS panel will look much better.

Ok, thanks! Can you recommend a good 21 inch one for under $200.

Ok, thanks! Can you recommend a good 21 inch one for under $200.

21"? That's a weird size you like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005363&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I personally refer 23" minimum.

Lol....doesn't that monitor have 14ms response time?

Latency doesn't really matter. If you're going to worry about something, frequency is more important.