Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megasteel32

Does overclocking a gpu boost performance marginally?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I always see JayzTwoCents or Slick/Luke overclock their gpus in testing and I would like to know if it actually makes a difference? Gpus usually base at 1ghz, and after that I see people getting them up to 1400 mhz (1.4 ghz) and I am wondering, does it make a difference in gaming performance? I am thinking of building a pc and I probably wont overclock, but I want to know if I do, would it give me a 10% boost? 20% boost? More? Less? The gpu will be the r9 380x, so yeah have at it. The gpus I saw tested were in this video:

Thanks!

Is Firewatch playable on ultra at 11 fps? Yes it is!

Check meh profile for my laptop specs, don't want to scare anyone without warning them

Need a part list or an opinion? PM me and I'll get back to you!

Where is Half Life 3? According to THIS video it's up GabeN's ass!

DEDICATION! MOTIVATION! ACCELERATION! ~uberslugcake

Buy Kinora goods today!

Pyr0maniac is the true king of 2b2t!!!

Just now, AlbinoTexan said:

honestly not really i OCed mine and got like 1-2 more FPS xD

how big a overclock

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

Just now, AlbinoTexan said:

honestly not really i OCed mine and got like 1-2 more FPS xD

Hmm. Then why do Jay and Luke do it? 

Check meh profile for my laptop specs, don't want to scare anyone without warning them

Buy Kinora goods today!

2 minutes ago, Megasteel32 said:

Hmm. Then why do Jay and Luke do it? 

depends on how big a overclock you do

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

Just now, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

depends on how big a overclock you do

Boost was at around 1300, and OC was at 1400

Buy Kinora goods today!

1 minute ago, Megasteel32 said:

Boost was at around 1300, and OC was at 1400

theres no set increase in performace, it varies from card to card and what games you are playing

It all depends on the card being used, how well each card overclock, and if the games was GPU speed limited and not memory, bandwidth or processor limited..

Depending on the card you can see significant increases.. Generally though you won't see a 10% difference UNLESS it stops you from chugging a bit or stops Vsync dropping to 30fps or less.

It's like you can compare it to performance in other things.. eg a car thats 10 - 20 % faster, you only really see when it's pushed, being timed or racing.. You don't notice the increases for the most part and when you do, generally, you need a side by side comparison, unless as said, it stops issues coming in that the oc can negate.

Is it worth doing? well that depends on if it would stop you having an issue, or push frames from a point where it's not as fluid as you'd like to where it is.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

16 minutes ago, Megasteel32 said:

I always see JayzTwoCents or Slick/Luke overclock their gpus in testing and I would like to know if it actually makes a difference? Gpus usually base at 1ghz, and after that I see people getting them up to 1400 mhz (1.4 ghz) and I am wondering, does it make a difference in gaming performance? I am thinking of building a pc and I probably wont overclock, but I want to know if I do, would it give me a 10% boost? 20% boost? More? Less? The gpu will be the r9 380x, so yeah have at it. The gpus I saw tested were in this video:

Thanks!

being honest, these "gains" those are more visible when doing benchmarks and stuff. irl these boosts are not as visible as shown in these review videos. 

i prefer the life of my stuff more than say, 5% of gain. 

also u know certain games react different to certain configs, so all in all i would not recommend unless, u have shit load of money to upgrade ur broken and burnt hardware :D

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

Well, it depends on the amount of overclock. It can have a very noticeable increase in performance.

Taking my card (1,000 mhz base clock and around 1,200 boost clock) to 1,500 mhz gave a noticeable increase.

For example in Fallout 4 ultra settings with max shadow/object/person draw distances at 1440p at stock speeds the framerate tends to drop well below my 85hz vsync cap but when overclocked it tends to stay at(over) the 85hz cap much more.

Sorry i cannot give you solid numbers but I just don't have numbers recorded just my observations.

For me, i have the g1 r9 380, stock is 990MHz core, 1425MHz memory. Before the OC i was sometimes dipping into 30-40 fps on GTA V. After my oc, where i got to 1100MHz and 1600MHz memory, I get constant 60 with dips to 55. For me on GTA V it helped alot.

It depends a lot with the gpu and the game played.

As you'll be getting a 380x, better stop thinking about 1400MHz (Maxwell terrain), because the maximum will be 1150-1200MHz.

Then, there're some games that see a nearly 1:1 ratio increase, while other even if you get a 20% OC you barely get 1-2fps more.

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3