Gigabyte G1 vs EVGA Hybrid

zvParadox

I've narrowed it down to 2 cards

GTX 980ti gigabyte xtereme 

or

GTX 980ti EVGA Hybrid

The hybrid should be more silent while the g1 will deliver more performance.

1 minute ago, blueballs said:

The hybrid should be more silent while the g1 will deliver more performance.

That's really not the case, since the hybrid is water cooler it can reach higher boost clocks and overclock better, without the abysmal noise of the Windforce x3 cooler (Gigabyte needs to use better fans, or larger ones).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's really not the case, since the hybrid is water cooler it can reach higher boost clocks and overclock better, without the abysmal noise of the Windforce x3 cooler (Gigabyte needs to use better fans, or larger ones).

The hybrids are known to be bad overclockers... and gigabyte only takes the best chips for these extremes series so you are guaranteed to reach a higher overclock.

Just now, blueballs said:

Sure, but the hybrids are known to be bad overclockers... and gigabyte only takes the best chips for these extremes series so you are guaranteed to reach a higher overclock.

Note, its the G1 Gaming 980ti, Gigabyte only slaps a backplate onto the Windforce cards and adds LED lighting to make it the G1 Gaming. Only the extreme cards actually have proper binning done to them.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Note, its the G1 Gaming 980ti, Gigabyte only slaps a backplate onto the Windforce cards and adds LED lighting to make it the G1 Gaming. Only the extreme cards actually have proper binning done to them.

I meant the xtereme version 

1 minute ago, zvParadox said:

I meant the xtereme version 

In that case, do you want a silent graphics card that runs cool all the time while not being the best overclocker, or do you want to overclock while dealing with more noise and higher GPU temps? Because as I said, Gigabyte really needs to use better fans.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

In that case, do you want a silent graphics card that runs cool all the time while not being the best overclocker, or do you want to overclock while dealing with more noise and higher GPU temps? Because as I said, Gigabyte really needs to use better fans.

the LEDs on the gigabyte is amazing tho that's what is really enticing

Just now, zvParadox said:

the LEDs on the gigabyte is amazing tho that's what is really enticing

Either way the performance will be almost identical whichever 980ti you choose.

PMSL

On March 4, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Dabombinable said:

I got the EVGA hybrid and it is anything but silent. it have a very loud fan that runs at 100% at all times. I'm still very happy tho 

4 minutes ago, zvParadox said:

I got the EVGA hybrid and it is anything but silent. it have a very loud fan that runs at 100% at all times. I'm still very happy tho 

Check the temps then, because the fan should never be running at 100%.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, zvParadox said:

Turn the fan down then lol 

Edited by alexyy
CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Check the temps then, because the fan should never be running at 100%.

the fan on the radiator never changes I called EVGA 

5 hours ago, alexyy said:

Turn the fan down then lol 

the fan on the radiator can't be adjusted unless you have a fan controler

Personally would with EVGA hybrid but if you want best performance that any 980ti can give than go with the G1

On 3/4/2016 at 5:01 PM, blueballs said:

The hybrids are known to be bad overclockers... and gigabyte only takes the best chips for these extremes series so you are guaranteed to reach a higher overclock.

On 3/4/2016 at 4:56 PM, Dabombinable said:

On 3/4/2016 at 5:02 PM, Dabombinable said:

I've got two EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrids and I can tell you first hand that they are fantastic.  I ran them for a good while with the stock hybrid coolers on them and they overclocked well.  The only issue with the stock hybrid cooler is that it only cools the GPU itself and the VRM cooling is handled by the reference style fan on the board.  Just keep that set low and you'll never hear it.

For reasons other than my GPUs, I decided to go with a custom loop so I went ahead and incorporated the GPUs into loop with EK water blocks, which cool the GPU and VRM.  I can tell you they got even better.  

I have no idea how binning goes with EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid, but both of mine are 80+ ASIC GPUs.

My cards would run 1533 MHz all day on the stock hybrid coolers and would allow me to bench at 1540+, but weren't 100% stable there.  After installing them on a custom loop they run 1540+ all day long no higher than 39 degrees and I can bench them at 1550+ with decent stability.

In the case of Gigabyte vs EVGA, I'm definitely not telling you that one is better than the other.  At the end of the day and as previously stated, you're going to get similar performance out of the majority of the cards until you start doing some extreme mods to them, and even then, the returns are small.

The hybrid coolers do a great job of keeping the cards cool and a fantastic job of keeping the heat off of you motherboard and other components provided you mount the radiators/fans in an exhaust configuration.  That's a big plus for going with hybrids regardless of brand.

I'll attach some screenshots to help address binning and overclocking concerns.  This by no means guarantees what your cards might be, but merely demonstrates that they may not all be bottom of the barrel just because you don't spend a ton of extra money for a "binned" card.

Good luck.

ASIC.JPG

7731 Valley Benchmark.PNG

1 hour ago, zvParadox said:

the fan on the radiator can't be adjusted unless you have a fan controler

When I was still using the hybrid coolers on mine, I connected the fans for my hybrid radiators to the PWM headers on my motherboard.  This allowed me to use the Asus FanXpert software to control them.  That setup worked really well and kept thing silent.

The reference style fan on the video card is what is controlled through the EVGA PrecisionX software or any other decent OC software.  You have to turn that one down or it will get loud.

19 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

When I was still using the hybrid coolers on mine, I connected the fans for my hybrid radiators to the PWM headers on my motherboard.  This allowed me to use the Asus FanXpert software to control them.  That setup worked really well and kept thing silent.

The reference style fan on the video card is what is controlled through the EVGA PrecisionX software or any other decent OC software.  You have to turn that one down or it will get loud.

No it can't be controlled at all, the RAD fan on the hybrid runs at 100% (2000rpm) all the time, it also only has 2 pins, so you wont get fan speed feedback.

The only fan that is controllable is the blower style fan over the vrm's.

You have you swap out the default fan for something with 3 or 4 pins and control it from the motherboard, this is what I have done with mine, speedfan is perfect for it because you can set it up to adjust the RAD fan based on GPU temps even thought it's connected to the motherboard.

20160306_183738.jpg

6 hours ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

No it can't be controlled at all, the RAD fan on the hybrid runs at 100% (2000rpm) all the time, it also only has 2 pins, so you wont get fan speed feedback.

The only fan that is controllable is the blower style fan over the vrm's.

You have you swap out the default fan for something with 3 or 4 pins and control it from the motherboard, this is what I have done with mine, speedfan is perfect for it because you can set it up to adjust the RAD fan based on GPU temps even thought it's connected to the motherboard.

You are absolutely right.  By the time I started messing with the stock configuration I had already replaced the stock 120mm 2-pin fan with a PWM fan.  Thanks for clarifying that to the OP.

6 hours ago, done12many2 said:

You are absolutely right.  By the time I started messing with the stock configuration I had already replaced the stock 120mm 2-pin fan with a PWM fan.  Thanks for clarifying that to the OP.

All good mate.

I actually bought the Noctua fan the same time I bought my Hybrid, personally I recommend that to anyone buying a Hybrid, the stock 2000rpm fan is annoyingly loud, and even if you get a 1500rpm it's still quieter.

4 pin PWM fan's don't work with the existing connector (well the 2 noctua's I tested didn't), but 3 pin DC fans work fine.

It's still better to run it from the motherboard though and use speedfan... :D

4 minutes ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

All good mate.

I actually bought the Noctua fan the same time I bought my Hybrid, personally I recommend that to anyone buying a Hybrid, the stock 2000rpm fan is annoyingly loud, and even if you get a 1500rpm it's still quieter.

4 pin PWM fan's don't work with the existing connector (well the 2 noctua's I tested didn't), but 3 pin DC fans work fine.

It's still better to run it from the motherboard though and use speedfan... :D

Or Asus AI suite if you have an Asus motherboard-still the best way to control a computers fans automatically.

PMSL