Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD vs Creative ZXR soundcards

Hi guys, so I just bought the audio technica ad700x headphones as they are one of the best headphones for positional audio (I bought them for fps gaming). But I want to take them to the next level. 

I am torn between the Titanium hd and the ZXR soundcards. The titanium hd's have CMSS-3D, and the ZXR has the newer SBX studio pro for surround sound virtualisation. However, a lot of people still say that CMSS-3D is much better than SBX for positional accuracy in games.

So what should I get? I can get the titanium second hand (because it is discontinued) for $120aud, which is a lot cheaper than the $300aud ZXR. But if the ZXR is worth the extra price I will get it. Also, is it bad to buy a second hand sound card?

BTW I know a few people are going to recommend a DAC+AMP combo but like I have said positional accuracy in games is my main concern and to my knowledge there is no software like cmss3d and sbx available with such a solution.

Cheers.

Uhmm what is wrong with them and how do you plan to make them better with a sound card?

If they dont get enough power a amp would be good, but if they do then I can really only say that you need to use a eq to make them sound how you want them to sound.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

As a prior TiHD owner and a current ZxR owner let me say.... neither. Especially not for the AD700.

Nothing like CMSS or SBX?? Razer Surround, exactly the same and freely available for ANYONE to download, not locked to certain hardware.

As far as dedicated gear, it would be a waste of money on something like the AD700.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Just now, sobe said:

As a prior TiHD owner and a current ZxR owner let me say.... neither. Especially not for the AD700.

Nothing like CMSS or SBX?? Razer Surround, exactly the same and freely available for ANYONE to download, not locked to certain hardware.

As far as dedicated gear, it would be a waste of money on something like the AD700.

Tried razer surround and thought it was crap (so do most people). Stereo sounds much better

If you are willing to spend that much on a sound card you should maybe have put that money into getting a higher model of the headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, TechBuff said:

Tried razer surround and thought it was crap (so do most people). Stereo sounds much better

Well I hate to tell you this, but if you hated Razer Surround, then it doesn't sound like you will be liking CMSS or SBX, they are the same thing.

EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Just now, Dackzy said:

If you are willing to spend that much on a sound card you should maybe have put that money into getting a higher model of the headphones.

Don't want a higher end model. Likeee I said, got the ad700x's because they are one of the best for positional accuracy in games. If I wanted to listen to music or movies I would get a better pair :) 

Just now, TechBuff said:

Don't want a higher end model. Likeee I said, got the ad700x's because they are one of the best for positional accuracy in games. If I wanted to listen to music or movies I would get a better pair :) 

From what I know the ad900x/ad1000x has just as good positional accuracy as the ad700x. As I said if you are not happy about how they sound maybe try a EQ. You cant really take something to the next lvl unless you are underpowering them or something else is wrong by putting a sound card in the mix.

4 minutes ago, sobe said:

Well I hate to tell you this, but if you hated Razer Surround, then it doesn't sound like you will be liking CMSS or SBX, they are the same thing.

A lot of people have said that the 900s and 1000s are not as good because of their increased bass. And I don't think you get what I mean when I say "take them to the next level". I mean take there positional accuracy to the next level.. hence this thread being about sbx and cmss3d. But thanks for effectively answering none of my questions :)

A lot of people have said that the 900s and 1000s are not as good because of their increased bass. And I don't think you get what I mean when I say "take them to the next level". I mean take there positional accuracy to the next level.. hence this thread being about sbx and cmss3d. But thanks for effectively answering none of my questions :)

Well that is not going to happen in anyway unless you find razer surround thing to help, but I can see that you dont like it. Bass really doesn't have anything to do with positional accuracy if it is a tight bass and the 900 and 1000 has tight bass of course if it was shitty bass than the positional accuracy will go down but good tight bass can actually help a little in some games.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

From what I know the ad900x/ad1000x has just as good positional accuracy as the ad700x. As I said if you are not happy about how they sound maybe try a EQ. You cant really take something to the next lvl unless you are underpowering them or something else is wrong by putting a sound card in the mix.

Don't forget for great positional there is also the Sennheiser HD558/598, AKG K612 Pro/K701/Q701, and Beyerdynamic DT990, That's a solid 6 other great choices.

3 minutes ago, TechBuff said:

You answered your own thread by stating you liked stereo better than the fake virtual surround crap. If you want to simply piss away money since it seems you divided cost between headphones and sound card, fuck it, just grab the ZxR. At the very least you can spend the $300 and get a useful physical volume dial, one expensive volume control.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Well that is not going to happen in anyway unless you find razer surround thing to help, but I can see that you dont like it. Bass really doesn't have anything to do with positional accuracy if it is a tight bass and the 900 and 1000 has tight bass of course if it was shitty bass than the positional accuracy will go down but good tight bass can actually help a little in some games.

why are you debating me on this? I have already purchased the 700s..so this is redundant. If you dont believe me go search the countless threads of people comparing the 700s and 900s with the 700s almost unamiously coming out as the better headphone for positional accuracy. 

Just now, sobe said:

Don't forget for great positional there is also the Sennheiser HD558/598, AKG K612 Pro/K701/Q701, and Beyerdynamic DT990, That's a solid 6 other great choices.

That is the biggest reason why I own the k612 and of course I love how they sound.

2 minutes ago, sobe said:

You answered your own thread by stating you liked stereo better than the fake virtual surround crap. If you want to simply piss away money since it seems you divided cost between headphones and sound card, fuck it, just grab the ZxR. At the very least you can spend the $300 and get a useful physical volume dial, one expensive volume control.

Dude. Cmss3d and sbx sound nothing like razer hahah. Yes they were engineered to do the same thing, but razer does not even come close to the other two. 

Dude. Cmss3d and sbx sound nothing like razer hahah. Yes they were engineered to do the same thing, but razer does not even come close to the other two. 

Considering I've owned and tried various from the ASUS Xonar Phoebus's Dolby, ZxR SBX, and CMSS with the TiHD (as well as prior Creative models), they very much do sound all too similar.

Either way, your money, best of luck.

Just now, sobe said:

they very much do sound all too similar.

Finally. An answer to my thread question.

Anyone else have an opinion on cmss3d vs sbx?

Okay let me answer your question one last time.
You cant make the positional accuracy of the AD700x better by getting a soundcard. You could use 7.1/5.1 software but, that can give you some problems sometimes and I have not noticed really any difference between my k612 without software and with software when it comes to positional accuracy, but that might just be me because I am so trained in hearing where the sound is coming from.