Access Point vs Extender

SRT10

I know.....wireless....ugg...I've had to move all upstairs traffic to wireless in my new house unfortunately, no choice for now.  I am running a Netgear R8000 on the main floor with everything upstairs connecting wireless including my main PC via Asus PCIE-AC68 (file transfers to my media server wired on the main floor over 155MB/sec nicely).  I'm having 2.4Ghz issues with range and speeds to my Chromecasts via Plex, Shomi and Netflix to a lesser extent.  Just for shits & giggles, I'm going to purchase a Netgear EX7000 Extender or a Netgear R7000 Router and toss that in AP mode, however I really don't udnerstand the implications of adding an extender or AP into the environment, outside of extending the signal from the main router.  All my tablets & phones connect via the 5Ghz to the main level just fine and over 150Mbps, just the 2.4Ghz gets saturated pretty quickly if my wife and boys are watching shows via Chromecast or via the KDLinks HD700 also connected at only the 2.4Ghz.  I'm looking for any information that can be provided that says adding the extender or AP into the mix will further mess things up or if it can solidfy at least the 2.4Ghz band upstairs and increase it's capability.

Thanks in Advance :)

SRT10

Extenders are bad... mkay....

No seriously... I'd rather go Access Point, lot less issues.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

Don't waste money on the extender, while it does extend the range of the wireless signal there is still some attenuation involved which will make streaming videos with that extended wireless signal a pain in the ass. I say you go for a good access point and extend the 2.4ghz network it'll provide much better coverage and just about equal connection quality as your router.

Before you look at buying new hardware, have you done a bandwidth survey and adjusted channel settings?

12 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Before you look at buying new hardware, have you done a bandwidth survey and adjusted channel settings?

Yes I've done that.  OK I think I'm missing something here now.  

My ISP router/wifi/modem I keep in Passthru and don't access it nor have access unless I connect via ethernet directly.  My R8000 connects to it via hardwire and all clients connect to the R8000.  I add in the R7000....I had assumed I would just connect it as AP to my R8000 via wireless and just let it sit upstairs to do it's work.  I'm questioning myself now as it almost setup like an Extender in this respect or I just don't understand clearly how and Extender's signal works vs a Router setup in AP mode.

35 minutes ago, SRT10 said:

Yes I've done that.  OK I think I'm missing something here now.  

My ISP router/wifi/modem I keep in Passthru and don't access it nor have access unless I connect via ethernet directly.  My R8000 connects to it via hardwire and all clients connect to the R8000.  I add in the R7000....I had assumed I would just connect it as AP to my R8000 via wireless and just let it sit upstairs to do it's work.  I'm questioning myself now as it almost setup like an Extender in this respect or I just don't understand clearly how and Extender's signal works vs a Router setup in AP mode.

AP vs repeater:

AP's will run in full duplex mode and depending on the controller will run on the same SSID. What this means is that in a perfect world their cabled signal, if gigabit would result in 1000 up 1000 down to the AP. 

Extenders wil, run in half duplex mode meaning that whatever signal they get in, they basically drop 50% of the connection speed. 

Extenders will piggyback off the existing SSID - they need good signal coverage to start off with because they're simply picking whatever they can get up and repeating it. Some extenders especially when you start crossing manufacturers or product ranges will start using different SSID's. 

What this means is that you'll have MyNetwork1 from your source followed by MyNetwork2 coming from the repeater. You'll manually have to switch between the two on the device you're using. 

Ok, well mr Idiot here picked up an Netgear R7000 thinking I had this all down pat...........realized that in AP mode the R8000 & R7000 have to be connected via ethernet cable?......DOH!!!!! Please someone yell at me if that is not the case......I'm trying to setup the R7000 in repeater mode just to test 2.4Ghz signals upstairs regardless (R7000 being a pain in the ass by the way and isn't getting this right) but I'd be more curious if AP mode is handled via wireless between the 2 units or has to be hard wired.  I have a message into Netgear asking this as well.

So even after trying to setup the R7000 as a repeater to the R8000............I find out directly from Netgear the R8000 does not support repeater function while trying to connect to the R7000.  The response was (and please understand the Tech from Netgear was really doing a great job) that the R8000 does not support repeater function, apparently both the router & repeater (in this case a second router) both had to support the repeater function which the R8000 does not (only supports AP mode)  So he suggested I return the R7000 and get an extender.  Defeated I feel lol.  

Are you able to run a 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT or tomato?

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

DD-WRT can do a client+ AP mode which avoids pretty much all compatibility issues.

The reason why netgear may recommend that you return the R7000, is because if it is in the return window, you can possibly get a cheaper Netgear EX7000 which by default, functions as a wireless bridge+ AP, with the options to also function as a wired AP.

If needed, you can also just have the R7000 form a wireless bridge, and then have your client devices form a wired connection, with possibly a cheap 3rd router connected to the R7000 to form an AP (if you do not want to run 3rd party firmware).

While I have upgraded to a newer router, I periodically use my R7000 for benchmarking other devices, as well as a WiFi adapter since it can connect to distant APs that my laptop's built in WiFi adapter cannot even see, and reliably transfer data.

I can't wire the 2 devices, main R8000 router to the second floor Device (R7000), I'd have to reconfig everything to the R8000(main router currently in workings easily working) if dd-wrt was available prior to getting the R7000 in tandem with it.

Can you run a powerline connection between the two?

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

My first question is are you renting or do you own? 

Also, how handy are you when it comes to home repairs and DIY projects?

If you rent and/or not handy, you can try a powerline adapter. Use the powerline adapter to hardwire the new router and then use it as an access point.

If you own and are handy, you can always hardwire your house. Granted my house is a small single story at 1200 sqft, I made 16 runs throughout my house to a patch panel in the utility closet during a 3 day weekend.

I own and am in construction very well handy.  I've hardwired both my previous 2 houses, however this one I purchased (as I built from scratch the previous 2) has the entire basement finished.  I have in the past kept my servers in the basement running cat6 to each floor, now having the basement finished in this new home, I'm looking at significant material removal and repairs to access the 2 upper floors above the basement. I am tearing apart half the basement to put back in the Home Theatre but I'm still looking at a shit ton of work based on it's location vs where I need to fish cables :(  I'm 2900sq ft plus basement so a lot of areas to mess with cable wise :pppp

Razor512, the reason I got the R7000 instead of the repeater EX7000 was #1 full router support (and kickass router to begin with) and #2 I got the R7000 @ $169.00 which was $10 cheaper at the time a week or so ago than the EX7000. Didn't realize it couldn't work in AP mode wireless and then confirmed by Netgear it wouldn't work in repeater mode either with the R8000.

Your best, quickest, and easiest solution is to go powerline ethernet adapter. It basically uses the wires in your house as ethernet cables. This allows you to hardline your new router to your old one in AP mode.

The best best thing to do would be hard wire the house but considering the size of your house, thats not a quick weekend project. If the money was available, I would just hire someone to do it. Yeah it costs alot but hassle free. I am an airplane mechanic by trade and a lot of times I take my car to a mechanic because sometimes, I just can't be bothered. Spend all day changing an oil pan gasket, or drop the car off in the morning, spend all day playing in my shop on fun things or playing my pc and pick up the next day.

fuddinator, exactly what I did in my last home, I can build a house from concrete foundation above, however I just had to hire a trades to come in and wire the last house.  I think I'm in that boat now unfortunately after the chatter in here and your clarity.

For now, powerline adapters will be a good solution. Relatively cheap and easy to use. While not full speed gigabit, an excellent solution. You can even attach more adapters to wire more things. 

Such as: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AWRUICG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457676549&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=powerline+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=31IYBNuPwFL&ref=plSrch

That is the best solution short of wiring the house.