Can MP3 files be dangerous?

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,
Just now, IsaacDaGrazin said:

So unless they embed something then its fine?

If you receive the file from someone/source unknown, suspicious... don't open it at all.

Someone could probably mask something as a MP3 file by changing the extension, a malware could be embedded, but that's why you use an anti-virus and malware scanner.  Of course they are not perfect, but they are a lot better than nothing.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Someone could probably mask something as a MP3 file by changing the extension, a malware could be embedded, but that's why you use an anti-virus and malware scanner.  Of course they are not perfect, but they are a lot better than nothing.

Just now, IsaacDaGrazin said:

If you receive the file from someone/source unknown, suspicious... don't open it at all.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Thanks

Just now, ALwin said:

Also btw would this website be safe? They seem pure MP3

The file sizes range 1-3mbs and I ahve listened to them

Are they fine?

well... i've seen a virus for minecraft servers that loaded off of a PNG file...

Just now, manikyath said:

well... i've seen a virus for minecraft servers that loaded off of a PNG file...

Yeah me too, but how tf?

3 minutes ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

Yeah me too, but how tf?

well, it came with a plugin, as part of its textures. the plugin itself did nothing malicious, but upon loading the png implemented a piece of code that gave the dev OP on any server it executed on.

Not that I know of, but I would not downloaded it from a site like 4shared. Torrent may be dangerous, not always. Just watch out and do not do anything dumb.

If there is an .mp3.exe at the end, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

/s of course, I downloaded Gangnam Style from a "reputable source" and my phone is working...

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB