Need fast response

Eeglis
Go to solution Solved by Eeglis,
Just now, Midiatemaster said:

Hey there

I had this problem as well my computer only picked up 750GB from my 3TB hard drive and when I simply unplugged and replugged it back in into another port and everything was found. however be careful when doing this and the hard drive is in raid because you WILL mess up the RAID because the hard drive will be in a different slot than allocated in the RAID settings.

Hope this works

Thanks for the advice. This PC has been running for nearly 3 years now though and I offered to check his system and optimize it a bit. So I'm not gonna mess around with that since there is a risk of losing his data. I also inspected that there is more than 3TB of space on the Disk Managment window when his drive in reality is just 3TB.

So I'm gonna just gonna leave it. Thank you for your reply though!

So I'm currently in teamviewer session with my friend. I found out that he has a part of his drive unallocated. Windows finds the part of the unallocated space on Drive 1 and the other allocated part is on Drive 2. How can we combine these two parts into one bigger one?

Untitled.png

no idea what to put here

So we want the unallocated space from Drive 0 (those 746.52GB) to the Drive 1 that has 746,52GB in use. We can format the Drive 1 (D drive) but not the C drive.

no idea what to put here

Pretty sure that doesn't work that way. Maybe there is some stupid way of doing it with partitions (excuse my ignorance on this), but you can't combine spaces on separate disks as far as I am aware.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Right-click (C:) and hit "Extend Volume". From there you'll be able to allocate the rest of the unused space that's still on the drive and assign it to the active boot partition.

Just now, Wauthar said:

Pretty sure that doesn't work that way. Maybe there is some stupid way of doing it with partitions (excuse my ignorance on this), but you can't combine spaces on separate disks as far as I am aware.

Both of those drives are one physical drive. Those disks were seperated into two parts because of Windows 7 not accepting 3TB drives. So those are still just a one drive.

no idea what to put here

1 minute ago, JeffreyEagan said:

Right-click (C:) and hit "Extend Volume". From there you'll be able to allocate the rest of the unused space that's still on the drive and assign it to the active boot partition.

Will that wipe the C: drive?

no idea what to put here

Just now, Eeglis said:

Will that wipe the C: drive?

Nope! It'll just connect the two areas of the disk into one.

Just now, JeffreyEagan said:

Nope! It'll just connect the two areas of the disk into one.

Cause I have had some bad experiences with shrinking and extending volumes. (Losing lots of data that is)

no idea what to put here

Just now, Eeglis said:

Cause I have had some bad experiences with shrinking and extending volumes. (Losing lots of data that is)

If the two partitions are part of the same drive, then there is nil risk of losing data when combining the two volumes. Coming from someone who had to shrink a W8.1 install on a 500GB WD Blue to fit on a BX100 250GB SSD, I had to re-expand the partition so Windows had access to all 250GB. Didn't lose any data. The situation is different if you're expanding the partition across multiple physical drives.

Just now, Midiatemaster said:

Hey there

I had this problem as well my computer only picked up 750GB from my 3TB hard drive and when I simply unplugged and replugged it back in into another port and everything was found. however be careful when doing this and the hard drive is in raid because you WILL mess up the RAID because the hard drive will be in a different slot than allocated in the RAID settings.

Hope this works

Thanks for the advice. This PC has been running for nearly 3 years now though and I offered to check his system and optimize it a bit. So I'm not gonna mess around with that since there is a risk of losing his data. I also inspected that there is more than 3TB of space on the Disk Managment window when his drive in reality is just 3TB.

So I'm gonna just gonna leave it. Thank you for your reply though!

no idea what to put here

1 hour ago, Eeglis said:

-snip-

I'm pretty sure the C: Drive is initialized as MBR (Size limit of 2TB), as that's the default for a Windows 7 install. You can't really change it to GPT without losing the data (You can tell that it's MBR if it won't allow you extend the volume past 2TB). You can make a new partition on that drive to get that other 700GB though.

15 hours ago, scottyseng said:

I'm pretty sure the C: Drive is initialized as MBR (Size limit of 2TB), as that's the default for a Windows 7 install. You can't really change it to GPT without losing the data (You can tell that it's MBR if it won't allow you extend the volume past 2TB). You can make a new partition on that drive to get that other 700GB though.

That is exactly what has been done with that machine.

no idea what to put here