What server OS?

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I know they've been around for a while, just confused on who or what needs it and how they're applied. I think they started with Server 2008, but I could be wrong on that. Server 2003, was the last one that's bundled with 5 User CALS.

Trying to understand more of it.

Sorry if I asked way too much. xD

Microsoft encourages you to buy CALS based on which ever is smaller. 

Company A has 10 employees and 20 computers, they will buy 10 User CALS because they have 10 employees.

Company B has 20 employees and 10 computers, they will buy 10 Device CALS because they have 10 computers.

Based on Microsoft encourages you to buy CALS based on which ever is smaller.

1. Company ABC has 10 employees, 1 server and 20 computers. They also have a DSL modem/router and a switch. The server and 20 computers can talk to each other, access the internet, and all are on the same network. For this setup, they buy 10 User CALS?

2. The company allows the 10 employees bring in their laptops and tablets to work, and those personal devices will be connecting to same network as the server. Will the company have to buy more CALS for those laptops and tablets or are they all covered under the User CAL?

3. Someone is messing around with the server, and the employer installed webcam to the server by physically connecting it with a USB cable. Do they have to buy a Device CAL, just for that webcam or is that webcam also covered under the User CAL?

4. The company has bought a printer. The printer supports wireless, and is connected to the DSL modem/router through wireless. The server is physically connected to that same DSL modem/router. Also connected to that DSL modem/router is a switch. and all 20 computers are connected to that switch. All 20 computers including the server can print from that wireless printer. Will the printer still need a Device CAL or is the printer covered under the User CAL as well?

5. If Company ABC has 10 employees and the webcam they attached to the server does need a Device CAL and is not covered under the User CAL, does that mean this company now has 10 User CALS + 1 Device CAL?

6. The company now has 30 employees, but they still only have 20 computers. This make it 30 employees and 20 computers, instead of 10 employees and 20 computers when they first started out. What is the best option for them, Do they buy 20 device CALS because it's the smaller out of the two, or do they buy additional 20 User CALS?

30 employees & 20 Computers

30 User CALS + 0 Device CALS or 10 User CALS + 20 Device CALS

7. The company has bought 10 more computers, making the number of computers equal to the number of users, so that's 30 employees and 30 computers. Because they already have 10 User CALS, what is the best CAL to buy for this type of setup?

Buy additional 20 User CAL or Buy 30 Device CALS?

8. Can you have both User and Device CAL at the same time?

If they cannot be used at the same time, and the better option is to buy 30 Device CALS, instead of 20 additional User CALS,then what happens to the 10 User CALS they purchased before, are they now useless or can be saved for future use?

9. Are User CALS assigned to a specific user or they can be used by multiple users, but not at the same time, say shift workers.

10. Are Device CALS assigned to a specific device or can they be transferred to another device say the original device is no longer being used or it's broken.

e.g.

Printer has a device cal. Printer no longer works, buy a new printer. Can new printer still used that same device cal or will the new printer need a device cal of its own.

11. The company now has 30 employees and 30 computers, what is the best CAL to buy, so that in the future they won't have to buy additional CALS and still be in compliant with Microsoft? Or this option, does not exist and any future employee hired by this company or new devices they buy, will need a CAL?

You really went all out didn't you?

• 99% of the time it is best to license via user CAL's.
  • It is also not recommended and as far as I am aware, causes issues if the business is evaluated if you're using a mix of CAL's.
  • If you purchase additional CAL's to swich device > user or vice versa, you still retail the other CAL's unless the license model you're on is not perpetual.
  • CAL's can be transferred between hardware within an environment provided the CAL is still valid. They are not physical tied like an OEI key to a motherboard is.

On 3/2/2016 at 2:41 PM, Windspeed36 said:

Server 2012 Essentials does not require CAL's as it includes them but is limited to 25 users. Standard and DC both include 1 CAL and anything more needs to be purchased seperately.  

If if you have further questions, ask away - I sell OEI and Open licensing for MS

CAL's have to be one of the most stressful thing to know how many you need(guess thats job security for you), I need someone like you around when I upgrade all our 6 Win server 2003 machines at work . lol . . .  ugh the headache is coming back 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

1 hour ago, Bacon8tor said:

CAL's have to be one of the most stressful thing to know how many you need(guess thats job security for you), I need someone like you around when I upgrade all our 6 Win server 2003 machines at work . lol . . .  ugh the headache is coming back 

This is why I always sell based on users, not devices. As for a helping hand, lemme know - otherwise contact your local Microsoft Open Volume License presales team

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

This is why I always sell based on users, not devices. As for a helping hand, lemme know - otherwise contact your local Microsoft Open Volume License presales team

Thanks, but I have a thrid party IT service helping out, doing a whole overhaul of the servers switching over to a couple ESXi host , SAN , and network upgrade so Ill let them deal with the licensing as well . I spent about 2 months trying to figure it out and came to the conclusion iwasnt going to spend thousands of dollars to do it wrong, then my headache went away. 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w