What server OS?

So guys I have a HP Micro server. I am wondering what OS I should put on it? I would like to use it as a NAS as it has 4 bays but also like to run A teamspeak server web server and possible CSGO server. What OS would you go for? 

Go with any distribution of Linux, I would say Ubuntu since you don't see to know much about servers or Linux and Ubuntu will have lots of support online. 

4 minutes ago, KirbyTech said:

Go with any distribution of Linux, I would say Ubuntu since you don't see to know much about servers or Linux and Ubuntu will have lots of support online. 

I understand a fair bit of Linux. I just did not think a desktop OS would suit a server as I would love to run raid ect. 

5 minutes ago, Secondmineboy said:

Debian and CentOS are good options too, Ubuntu is Debian based.

But others like OpenSUSE will work well too i guess.

Would you recommend windows server not had a go of that yet. 

Just now, Sniper Xls said:

I understand a fair bit of Linux. I just did not think a desktop OS would suit a server as I would love to run raid ect. 

With Most Linux OSs there are server and desktop versions under the same name just different builds. Ubuntu server is a decent and well supported option. You could always go with windows server 2016 when it comes out.

1 minute ago, Secondmineboy said:

Currently Windows Server is 880 Dollars i think for Standard version

I am currently a student I get Windows Server 2008-2012 for free activated 

The latest Windows server OS does not come with CALS, they will need to be purchased separately. Then there are lot of confusion the web, some say even a printer needs a CAL too?!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

The latest Windows server OS does not come with CALS, they will need to be purchased separately. Then there are lot of confusion the web, some say even a printer needs a CAL too?!

Server 2012 Essentials does not require CAL's as it includes them but is limited to 25 users. Standard and DC both include 1 CAL and anything more needs to be purchased seperately.  

If if you have further questions, ask away - I sell OEI and Open licensing for MS

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Server 2012 Essentials does not require CAL's as it includes them but is limited to 25 users. Standard and DC both include 1 CAL and anything more needs to be purchased seperately.  

If if you have further questions, ask away - I sell OEI and Open licensing for MS

I am currently install windows 2012 I shall let you all know how it goes so far its very slow installing this normal? Yes this is my first time ever installing a windows server OS :)

9 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Yeah, essential is limited to 25 users, and I thought server standard and DataCenter has no CALS, unlike older server which bundles with 5 user cals. Now there is something called device cals along with user cals?

I also heard, you don't type in the CAL keys, instead you just buy it and keep in a safe place?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Well 2012 r2 did not even wish to load up so trying 2008 wish me luck! 

Yeah, essential is limited to 25 users, and I thought server standard and DataCenter has no CALS, unlike older server which bundles with 5 user cals. Now there is something called device cals along with user cals?

I also heard, you don't type in the CAL keys, instead you just buy it and keep in a safe place?

User CAL's are used when there are less users than devices. Device CAL's are used in the opposite scenario. You've also got terminal/RDC CAL's. All are purchased seperately 

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

User CAL's are used when there are less users than devices. Device CAL's are used in the opposite scenario. You've also got terminal/RDC CAL's. All are purchased seperately 

Hey mate Windows 2012 did not want to load at all trying 2008 just sticks on the spinning with windows logo screen any ideas? 

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Okay, let me try to understand this.

Company A has,  50 employees and 100 computers, they get User CALS

Company B has, 100 employees and 50 computers, they get Device CALS

So is it true, that printers will need a CAL too?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 hours ago, Sniper Xls said:

I am currently install windows 2012 I shall let you all know how it goes so far its very slow installing this normal? Yes this is my first time ever installing a windows server OS :)

2 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

What is the velocity of an unladen swallow?

1 hour ago, Sniper Xls said:

Hey mate Windows 2012 did not want to load at all trying 2008 just sticks on the spinning with windows logo screen any ideas? 

Is the hardware supported by that OS?

Okay, let me try to understand this.

Company A has,  50 employees and 100 computers, they get User CALS

Company B has, 100 employees and 50 computers, they get Device CALS

So is it true, that printers will need a CAL too?

Yep pretty much. Also those printers if they're being attached to the server will need CAL's if you're using device CAL's. 

With CAL's, the majority of the time you're simply purchasing a piece of paper that says you've bought it. Sometimes you need to activate them through the software you're using. 

performance wise, windows server is not as good  as linux. If you want to host csgo servers, you should go with ubuntu server or debian. CSGO servers from my experience do not run well on windows server. Also, I have found that 2012 makes source engine games have tick problems, as it has a lot of efficiency features built in.

My native language is C++

2 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Yep pretty much. Also those printers if they're being attached to the server will need CAL's if you're using device CAL's. 

With CAL's, the majority of the time you're simply purchasing a piece of paper that says you've bought it. Sometimes you need to activate them through the software you're using. 

Ok, trying to understand more of this

Printer needs needs a cal when it's attached to the server, as in physically connected to it via USB or network cable. In this setup, I will have to buy a device cal, just for that printer and then I can have permission to print from it? Now the keyword here is "device" cal. Now,  if a person has a single user cal, will the printer physically attached to the server, still need a device cal, or it's not needed because it falls under the user cal?

e.g.

1 User cal = many device can be used and attached to the server because they all fall under that single user

1 device cal = will need to buy more device cals for every new device that person gets, when it's attached to the server.

Just got a printer, webcam, scanner, USB missle launcher, and USB mini fridge,they all connected to the server. This means I will need to buy a device cal for all of those devices? That's 5 devices, therefore I will need to spend $150 on it, just so I can have permission to use it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416558

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I just use Debian all the time, though Windows server would be easier to access.

i5 4460 - GTX 970 - 1TB WD Blue - 256 GB Samsung Evo SSD - NZXT H440 - 16GB DDR3 RAM

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Printer needs needs a cal when it's attached to the server, as in physically connected to it via USB or network cable. In this setup, I will have to buy a device cal, just for that printer and then I can have permission to print from it? Now the keyword here is "device" cal. Now,  if a person has a single user cal, will the printer physically attached to the server, still need a device cal, or it's not needed because it falls under the user cal?

e.g.

1 User cal = many device can be used and attached to the server because they all fall under that single user

1 device cal = will need to buy more device cals for every new device that person gets, when it's attached to the server.

Just got a printer, webcam, scanner, USB missle launcher, and USB mini fridge,they all connected to the server. This means I will need to buy a device cal for all of those devices? That's 5 devices, therefore I will need to spend $150 on it, just so I can have permission to use it?

@NumLock21

Just as a side note, User and Device CALs have been around for a while. This is not new to Server 2016.

7 hours ago, Lily said:

I just use Debian all the time, though Windows server would be easier to access.

What do you use it for may I ask ? 

10 hours ago, Kyle Manning said:

performance wise, windows server is not as good  as linux. If you want to host csgo servers, you should go with ubuntu server or debian. CSGO servers from my experience do not run well on windows server. Also, I have found that 2012 makes source engine games have tick problems, as it has a lot of efficiency features built in.

Well looking at moving to windows 2011 I am just messing about I finally got 2008 to work on it last night I do not think this server I have and 2012 work well together. 

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

e.g.

So CAL's are not required for Server 2012 or Exchange 2016 to operate correctly. CAL's are required to meet Microsoft's EULA for the product in that for every device or user, whichever is smaller, a CAL must be purchased. If you don't provide the CAL's after having been evaluated by Microsoft, your licenses may be suspended.

When you have 50 devices, 100 users, Microsoft encourage you to purchase device CAL's. If you add an additional device connected to the server, you'll then need to purchase an additional CAL for that device.

Vice versa if you're using  User CAL's.

Where this is complicated is with Enterprise Agreements or specific OPEN licensing plans. By default, CAL's are purchased either OEI at time of purchase with server hardware OR they are purchased through OPEN license platform (250 seats or less).

OPEN license can either be a perpetual license meaning that it doesn't expire however the Software Assurance bundle that can be bought with it expires after either 2 or 3 years depending on the license type. OPEN can also be bought on a special agreement similar to EAN's whereby at the end of every quarter or financial year, a survey is completed of how many devices are currently in use or have been used in that past 3/12 month block and you are billed from that. This is really useful if you have a fluctuating number of staff with contractors coming and going.

Software Assurance to clarify is a support package offered on OPEN license products whereby for the time period that it is active, you'll receive updates (eg Office 2013>Office 2016) as well as staff training and other useful material. There is obviously an additional cost for SA and it varies by organization type as well as time period.

Keep asking away with these questions as I quite enjoy them - not too many people normally ask about this.. :)

1 hour ago, Sniper Xls said:

Well looking at moving to windows 2011 I am just messing about I finally got 2008 to work on it last night I do not think this server I have and 2012 work well together. 

What's the server?

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

@NumLock21

Just as a side note, User and Device CALs have been around for a while. This is not new to Server 2016.

I know they've been around for a while, just confused on who or what needs it and how they're applied. I think they started with Server 2008, but I could be wrong on that. Server 2003, was the last one that's bundled with 5 User CALS.

10 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

CAL's are not required for Server 2012 or Exchange 2016 to operate correctly. CAL's are required to meet Microsoft's EULA for the product in that for every device or user, whichever is smaller, a CAL must be purchased. If you don't provide the CAL's after having been evaluated by Microsoft, your licenses may be suspended.

When you have 50 devices, 100 users, Microsoft encourage you to purchase device CAL's. If you add an additional device connected to the server, you'll then need to purchase an additional CAL for that device.

Vice versa if you're using  User CAL's.

Keep asking away with these questions as I quite enjoy them - not too many people normally ask about this.. :)

Trying to understand more of it.

Sorry if I asked way too much. xD

Microsoft encourages you to buy CALS based on which ever is smaller. 

Company A has 10 employees and 20 computers, they will buy 10 User CALS because they have 10 employees.

Company B has 20 employees and 10 computers, they will buy 10 Device CALS because they have 10 computers.

Based on Microsoft encourages you to buy CALS based on which ever is smaller.

1. Company ABC has 10 employees, 1 server and 20 computers. They also have a DSL modem/router and a switch. The server and 20 computers can talk to each other, access the internet, and all are on the same network. For this setup, they buy 10 User CALS?

2. The company allows the 10 employees bring in their laptops and tablets to work, and those personal devices will be connecting to same network as the server. Will the company have to buy more CALS for those laptops and tablets or are they all covered under the User CAL?

3. Someone is messing around with the server, and the employer installed webcam to the server by physically connecting it with a USB cable. Do they have to buy a Device CAL, just for that webcam or is that webcam also covered under the User CAL?

4. The company has bought a printer. The printer supports wireless, and is connected to the DSL modem/router through wireless. The server is physically connected to that same DSL modem/router. Also connected to that DSL modem/router is a switch. and all 20 computers are connected to that switch. All 20 computers including the server can print from that wireless printer. Will the printer still need a Device CAL or is the printer covered under the User CAL as well?

5. If Company ABC has 10 employees and the webcam they attached to the server does need a Device CAL and is not covered under the User CAL, does that mean this company now has 10 User CALS + 1 Device CAL?

6. The company now has 30 employees, but they still only have 20 computers. This make it 30 employees and 20 computers, instead of 10 employees and 20 computers when they first started out. What is the best option for them, Do they buy 20 device CALS because it's the smaller out of the two, or do they buy additional 20 User CALS?

30 employees & 20 Computers

30 User CALS + 0 Device CALS or 10 User CALS + 20 Device CALS

7. The company has bought 10 more computers, making the number of computers equal to the number of users, so that's 30 employees and 30 computers. Because they already have 10 User CALS, what is the best CAL to buy for this type of setup?

Buy additional 20 User CAL or Buy 30 Device CALS?

8. Can you have both User and Device CAL at the same time?

If they cannot be used at the same time, and the better option is to buy 30 Device CALS, instead of 20 additional User CALS,then what happens to the 10 User CALS they purchased before, are they now useless or can be saved for future use?

9. Are User CALS assigned to a specific user or they can be used by multiple users, but not at the same time, say shift workers.

10. Are Device CALS assigned to a specific device or can they be transferred to another device say the original device is no longer being used or it's broken.

e.g.

Printer has a device cal. Printer no longer works, buy a new printer. Can new printer still used that same device cal or will the new printer need a device cal of its own.

11. The company now has 30 employees and 30 computers, what is the best CAL to buy, so that in the future they won't have to buy additional CALS and still be in compliant with Microsoft? Or this option, does not exist and any future employee hired by this company or new devices they buy, will need a CAL?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

-snip-

User CALs are the easiest to think about and license correctly. You need as many CALs as there are employees that access the network; number, type and ownership of the device doesn't matter. You are essentially handing a ticket to a user giving them a right to use/consume.

Device CALs can be a little harder to get correct. Devices plugged in to a server do not necessarily require a device CAL, this is why it is hard to get correct. If it is a network device then yes this will always require a CAL i.e. network printer/scanner.

Yes, if the multifunction printer is connected to a Windows Server network.  A multifunction printer accesses server software to; receive an IP address, to receive a job, to communicate that the job is finished, etc.  In short, it communicates with the server software.  If the multifunction printer is accessing any server software licensed via the Server / CAL licensing model it requires a CAL for that software. The one caveat is, if your users who use the printer have CALs then the printer is covered by their use via their CALs. If not then the printer itself requires a device CAL. The same CAL requirement applies to any other type of networked device – such as networked scanners, networked fax machines, etc.  Devices that do not connect to the network or the server software (generally referred to as peripherals) do not require CALs.

Licensing is a topic that can be talked about for AGES and the more complex the environment the harder it gets, obviously. Even Microsoft licensing auditors still get it wrong sometimes.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/volume-licensing/archive/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal.aspx

I'll let @Windspeed36 address each one of your points in more detail, licensing isn't a topic I find all that enjoyable :P.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

User CALs are the easiest to think about and license correctly. You need as many CALs as there are employees that access the network; number, type and ownership of the device doesn't matter. You are essentially handing a ticket to a user giving them a right to use/consume.

Device CALs can be a little harder to get correct. Devices plugged in to a server do not necessarily require a device CAL, this is why it is hard to get correct. If it is a network device then yes this will always require a CAL i.e. network printer/scanner.

Licensing is a topic that can be talked about for AGES and the more complex the environment the harder it gets, obviously. Even Microsoft licensing auditors still get it wrong sometimes.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/volume-licensing/archive/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal.aspx

I'll let @Windspeed36 address each one of your points in more detail, licensing isn't a topic I find all that enjoyable :P.

So what you're saying is User cal is the best and cheapest option in the long run. 1 User = 1 User CAL. All devices own by that user belongs to him, thus they all fall under the User CAL.

That was the first i read. Made it more confused. Bottom line is buy more cal than you think you need and as long as ms gets your £$¥€ then you should have no problems. xD

AMD ThreadRipper 2!