[UPDATED WITH EVERYTHING WE KNOW] AMD hosting AMA on Reddit Today (March 3rd)

I am updating this as fast as I can now scroll to the bottom for news.

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-rtg-ama-3-march-polaris-fury-x2/

AMD RTG AMA Reddit

We've been seeing a lot of teases of the fury x2 recently, and there have been a couple spots of Polaris on Zauba as well as other places. Unfortunately, though, we haven't really gotten to learn much about Polaris and the furyx2. 

Well, tomorrow we may finally learn some more information about em.

The announcement about the AMA was posted over at the AMD Sub-Reddit about a day back and is already filled with some very pertinent questions. AMD hasn’t done anything like this before but this is an extremely positive sign, since it means that they are reaching out to their customers directly. This is one of the many new ideologies RTG has started pursuing in recent times – driving home the impression of competency.

The first reddit AMD Q&A/AMA is happening soon. Right here.
The Q&A is open to all topics dealing with anything under the Radeon Technologies Group (the Radeon division of AMD). Some big secrets could be unveiled this Thursday, so bring your best questions! Likely topics of discussion will most likely include Vulkan, FreeSync, GPUOpen, Polaris, Fury X2, VR, DirectX 12, and anything else you’re curious about.

Don’t ask about Zen. It’s still a super secret.

As you can see, tomorrow RTG will be hosting an AMA on Reddit, and will be answering (nearly) all of your dying questions about the Furyx2, Polaris, Dx12, VR, GPUOpen, and anything else you can think of related to GPUs.

Unfortunately, they won't be talking about Zen, but that was probably expected since its RTG we're talking about, not the whole of AMD.

Because of this, it is very likely that the company will divulge some hints regarding its plans if the right question is asked. We will be covering the Reddit AMA and be on the lookout for the revelation of anything that isnt’t common PR stuff. We also have an exclusive of our own coming up in a few hours time covering a specific VR portion of RTG. Any readers that have questions of their own to ask AMD, can head over to reddit and sign up for the AMA. Keep in mind that the thread for the actual AMA will probably be different than the one linked here. Here are the top voted questions on the thread right now by user Khagerou.

Tomorrow could be the day we learn more about everything we already know about, and perhaps find out about a few new things.

I hope this AMA will help us glean some more info about RTG's upcoming products and future plans.

I will keep this thread updated with new info as it comes out :).

[UPDATING LIVE UPDATED]

Last updated: March 3rd 5:00 p.m. Central Time

Info we know:

• Polaris will have DP 1.3
  • Apparently Polaris will launch during "mid-year"
  • It seems that AMD will publish a lot of info about Polaris before the launch
  • AMD is looking into the one GPU per eye thing for VR
  • AMD is making drivers for Linux
  • True Audio is still used in the console space, but on desktop it's kinda dying :)
  • There will be another AMA for Polaris once its details are all ready
  • Polaris support h.265 decode and can decode up to 4k
  • Polaris will only be 14nm Glofo
  • Polaris is projected to have 2x performance per watt to "existing hardware"

That's all for now folks! I'll keep updating it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look we'll learn too much about the Fury X2 or extreme details of Polaris.

Unfortunately, guys, it doesn't seem like we got as much info as we wish we did. He did, however, mention that as we get closer to the Polaris release time he will do another AMA to clear up a bit on architectural details. That will probably be the time when we really learn something.

I was excited for this, but it wasn't QUITE as good as I hoped for. Then again I was only hoping.

Thanks guys!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

inb4 any anti-AMD shitposts begin

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Is this AMA only for the Radeon division? 

.....of course it is.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

That's great PR. Nvidia should do the same.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Question 1 : Why do you need a Chief Gaming Scientist, and one that doesn't know half the things he is saying? :D:D

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Nice. Can't wait to see flagship Polaris :) AMA is a good thing and I'm glad they're doing it.

Also, hopefully they're brewing Zen and everything is going great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Forgive me, but how do these work? Do they pick and choose certain questions, type up their answers and post them up throughout the day? or is there a video stream where they read out people's questions and answer them live? 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

32 minutes ago, eLucid said:

That's great PR. Nvidia should do the same.

Nvidia is too busy shit posting on youtube

4 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Forgive me, but how do these work? Do they pick and choose certain questions, type up their answers and post them up throughout the day? or is there a video stream where they read out people's questions and answer them live? 

I think it's the first way. I'm pretty sure they just respond to your comments with the answers to your questions.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

An extremely positive sign, reaching out to consumers directly on reddit. Right. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Doing it this way, they need to have the guts to answer some of the tough questions from their own userbase. While AMD's economic standing is arguably improving, their PR and marketing still has a lot of scars to heal, and some are not all that old either.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

An extremely positive sign, reaching out to consumers directly on reddit. Right. 

They've always done stuff like this with the community.

33 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

People post on the Reddit thread and they just respond to what they can (or want to) -- sometimes they respond to questions more than once to follow up with questions that stem from the original. That's generally how Reddit AMAs work anyways.

18 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

They've always done stuff like this with the community.

I was talking in general how it sounds. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

cool.

regarding the CPU division btw I remember after bulldozer came out some of the AMD CPU guys gave an interview with some technical press including reader questions. That must have been incredibly difficult to do (knowing they had just launched a poor product and trying to dilute the truth).

by comparison for this AMA nobody in RTG is going to be losing sleep; Since they have good quality products to talk about...

Will be interesting. 

However as with all AMAs, don't expect too much. When it's corporate stuff (as opposed to personal) some questions will be ignored and some questions will only be partially answered and some will get non-answers. That's just how these work - whether it's for legal reasons, PR reasons or other reasons. 

There's also the sheer volume of questions causing things to be overlooked (often thousands of questions and perhaps tens of thousands of comments cluttering things up). 

So I'm certain it will be generally well received but some will expect too much and trash it for not answering the tough questions.

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Will be interesting. 

However as with all AMAs, don't expect too much. When it's corporate stuff (as opposed to personal) some questions will be ignored and some questions will only be partially answered and some will get non-answers. That's just how these work - whether it's for legal reasons, PR reasons or other reasons. 

There's also the sheer volume of questions causing things to be overlooked (often thousands of questions and perhaps tens of thousands of comments cluttering things up). 

So I'm certain it will be generally well received but some will expect too much and trash it for not answering the tough questions.

AMD has generally been good at being forthcoming (aside from Richard Huddy bullshitting a lot to the press).

I hope some good questions are asked on the thread and not just some simpleminded "WHERE IS POLARIS" questions, but more specifically what Polaris will be changing compared to previous iterations.

I would like to ask them to comment on how they said Fiji would be "an overclocker's dream" yet turned out to be very poor at overclocking in reality. They must have known in testing they were already running the silicon near it's limits. Just genuinely curious. Were they maybe expecting better yields/chips or...?  

Also curious if they are replacing their entire mainstream line of GPUs (from R7 series and up) in the up coming generation? I doubt they will be able to answer that fully though. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Well I want to ask about their "Zen" project, should be like the same thing as Bulldozer when they had some tech interviews with it.

This is nice, but I feel like the Valve route is better.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

I would like to ask them to comment on how they said Fiji would be "an overclocker's dream" yet turned out to be very poor at overclocking in reality. They must have known in testing they were already running the silicon near it's limits. Just genuinely curious. Were they maybe expecting better yields/chips or...?  

worst part is that it was the CEO herself Lisa Su who said that... I want to see that question posed to her personally.

one possibility of what happened is that during the development they had settled on lower stock clock speeds as it was still enough to beat the GTX 980 and still have plenty OC headroom. Somebody may have told Lisa this. And then later NVIDIA released the 980ti.. so before launch the Radeon guys cranked up the stock clockspeeds to come as close as possible to 980ti performance, thus eating into OC headroom.

All I have to say and ask:  "Can you guys make a triple-GPU card to compete against the totally legit, nVidia Voodoo XT GTX 1080x3?"

5 minutes ago, Humbug said:

worst part is that it was the CEO herself Lisa Su who said that... I want to see that question posed to her personally.

one possibility of what happened is that during the development they had settled on lower stock clock speeds as it was still enough to beat the GTX 980 and still have plenty OC headroom. Somebody may have told Lisa this. And then later NVIDIA released the 980ti.. so before launch the Radeon guys cranked up the stock clockspeeds to come as close as possible to 980ti performance, thus eating into OC headroom.

It was actually said by one of the engineers (I believe) during the Fury X launch day presentation. He was talking about the VRM design etc. and made that statement. He of all people should have known it was not the case, even at that point in time. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Well I want to ask about their "Zen" project, should be like the same thing as Bulldozer when they had some tech interviews with it.

You can't ask about Zen... they specifically said don't talk about Zen because it is still super secret, which implies that they won't answer anything about Zen.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You can't ask about Zen... they specifically said don't talk about Zen because it is still super secret, which implies that they won't answer anything about Zen.

Well, that and the fact this is RTG doing the AMA. So any involvement with Zen would be Raven Ridge and not so much else. So the most juicy tid bits would not be theirs to reveal.