NAS from used school server

So my university has a public surplus site where they auction off old, but potentially usable items.

They're currently auctioning off an old Apple Xserve and 2 Dell PowerEdge 2600 Servers for $5 - $10 bucks each.

I've been looking to build a NAS, and I was wondering if either of these would work, or at least be able to house more modern hardware if the current hardware turns out to be kaput.

More specifically, the Xserves has these details:

Apple Xserve Rackmount Information Server. 

Turns on; Operating condition unknown.

Processor Type: 4GB Intel Xeon 5160

3 Harddisk capacity; currently all are 80GB Barracuda 7200.9

MPN: MA409Z/A

and the Dells have these details:

Lot of 2 Dell PowerEdge 2600 Servers.

Model No.: SCL

Both power on.  Working condition is unknown.
May be missing internal parts/ components.

Comes as is.  Does not include and cables/cords.

Are either of these worth picking up and throwing some WD reds in?

Not really in my opinion. The amount of power those will consume will be more expensive in the future than just buying a new, low power nas.

My native language is C++

Get one of the poweredges for how much? If it powers on great, put some drives in it, and freenas and BAM! Nas

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle Manning said:

Not really in my opinion. The amount of power those will consume will be more expensive in the future than just buying a new, low power nas.

Is there any value for the case itself? I was looking, and cheap cases seem to be in the $40 - 60 range, and good ones like the Node 304 seem to run ~$100

For the xserve, yes, they go for some cash. But think about how fast you will sell it, if at all.

My native language is C++

4 minutes ago, Kyle Manning said:

eh, in the datacenter they cost money to run as well, so they are usually pretty efficient, so if you dont load them too hard i doubt it'll be any sort of issue.

(PS: what us europeans call "american fridges" still use more power than even a gaming rig. just something to think about.)

Just now, Kyle Manning said:

For the xserve, yes, they go for some cash. But think about how fast you will sell it, if at all.

I meant more as a host case for a newer NAS, after ripping out the older, more power hungry components.

1 minute ago, Daehder said:

I meant more as a host case for a newer NAS, after ripping out the older, more power hungry components.

then you're better off buying a bunch of wood and getting crafty. it'll be more versatile, more silent, better looking, and better smelling.

5-10$ go for it.. even just if they will only be used temporarily until u get a new build

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.