Building First NAS

Hey guys, Building my first NAS. The name of the game is budget. I am using parts I already have. The things I will need suggestions for are Motherboard and HDD/SSD's. Now that I think about it configuration as well ie software and such. I will be greatful for any and all input. Here is the list of things I have all ready.

Processor

Phenom ii x4 945

RAM

3x2gb 6::) DDR3 Patriot Sector 7

PSU

EVGA 400N1 400 watts

Case

Antes Three Hundred

Optional:

Tuner Card

Win TV Haupauhe HVR-1600

Graphics

HD 5750

Everyone has been very helpful so far. I am very new to the forums and NAS's in general. I guess I should state the goal. Starting off basically just media server for the network but eventually would like it to back up all the pc's hooked up to the network as well. 2 laptops and 1 desktop.

1 minute ago, jfowl1989 said:

Hey guys, Building my first NAS. The name of the game is budget. I am using parts I already have. The things I will need suggestions for are Motherboard and HDD/SSD's. Now that I think about it configuration as well ie software and such. I will be greatful for any and all input. Here is the list of things I have all ready.

Processor

Phenom ii x4 945

RAM

3x2gb 6::) DDR3 Patriot Sector 7

PSU

EVGA 400N1 400 watts

Case

Antes Three Hundred

Optional:

Tuner Card

Win TV Haupauhe HVR-1600

Graphics

HD 5750

Everyone has been very helpful so far. I am very new to the forums and NAS's in general. I guess I should state the goal. Starting off basically just media server for the network but eventually would like it to back up all the pc's hooked up to the network as well. 2 laptops and 1 desktop.

if you message me I can walk you through the process, but I would recommend freenas 

& 

you will learn a lot from those videos.  Purchase the cheapest motherboard you can that supports raid, or the cheapest motherboard that doesn't support raid and a raid card.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

2 hours ago, littlepigboy5 said:

if you message me I can walk you through the process, but I would recommend freenas 

you will learn a lot from those videos.  Purchase the cheapest motherboard you can that supports raid, or the cheapest motherboard that doesn't support raid and a raid card.

Do not use RAID with FreeNAS.