Best twitter client for linux

web twitter is kind of broken.
I need a twitter client that is really basic. It should have the following features:

• Posting tweets
  • reading my timeline
  • minimal UI
  • runs on linux

all the clients I tried have too much bling and bells and whistles, or just don't work properly. Basically I am looking for the reincarnation of destroy twitter.

Not to be rude but people who use Linux use Twitter?

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Not to be rude but people who use Linux use Twitter?

I don't get it?

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

I need a twitter client that is really basic. It should have the following features:

• Posting tweets
  • reading my timeline
  • minimal UI
  • runs on linux

all the clients I tried have too much bling and bells and whistles, or just don't work properly. Basically I am looking for the reincarnation of destroy twitter.

There is one built into Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I'm not sure what it's called

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

There is one built into Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I'm not sure what it's called

As far as I am aware in Ubuntu 12.04 it is called Empathy

well I am not runnig ubuntu, and don't know if this empathy is the same empathy, but there is no twitter.

post-27399-0-43762400-1379162612_thumb.p

Try updating to a later version of Empathy. Your distributions documentation should cover the steps you need to take.

what? I just downloaded that.

Or do you think that the repository I have that from does only have a old version?

Wasn't the ubuntu twitter thingy called gwibber or something like that?

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I don't get it?

It's kind of a joke implying people who use Linux mostly have no need for social media personal wise. Then again I don't use Twitter so obviously I'm not helping.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

That looks like I want, the only problem is, that it is only on ubuntu and elementary at the moment.

Since Crunchbang is based on Debian, and Ubuntu is as well, it should be a simple process of installing it. The steps for installing on Ubuntu and Crunchbang should be identical. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Since Crunchbang is based on Debian, and Ubuntu is as well, it should be a simple process of installing it. The steps for installing on Ubuntu and Crunchbang should be identical. 

No.

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main/source/Sources'>http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main/source/Sources  404  Not FoundW: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main/binary-amd64/Packages'>http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not FoundW: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main/binary-i386/Packages'>http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not FoundE: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

that is

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu wheezy maindeb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/birdie-team/stable/ubuntu wheezy main

added by

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:birdie-team/stable

Also if you get the ubuntu package from their website you have to go on a mad hunt for dependencies:

jooa@crunchbang:~/downloads$ sudo dpkg -i birdie_0.3+r274-0+pkg12~raring1_amd64.deb Selecting previously unselected package birdie.(Reading database ... 144320 files and directories currently installed.)Unpacking birdie (from birdie_0.3+r274-0+pkg12~raring1_amd64.deb) ...dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of birdie: birdie depends on libdbusmenu-glib4 (>= 0.4.2); however:  Package libdbusmenu-glib4:amd64 is not installed. birdie depends on libgee2 (>= 0.5.0); however:  Package libgee2:amd64 is not installed. birdie depends on libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.35.9); however:  Version of libglib2.0-0:amd64 on system is 2.33.12+really2.32.4-5. birdie depends on libindicate5 (>= 0.4.90); however:  Package libindicate5 is not installed. birdie depends on libpurple0 (>= 1:2.2.0); however:  Package libpurple0 is not installed. birdie depends on librest-0.7-0 (>= 0.7); however:  Package librest-0.7-0:amd64 is not installed. birdie depends on libunity9 (>= 3.4.6); however:  Package libunity9 is not installed. birdie depends on libwnck-3-0 (>= 2.91.6); however:  Package libwnck-3-0 is not installed.dpkg: error processing birdie (--install): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredProcessing triggers for libglib2.0-0:i386 ...Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 ...Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...Errors were encountered while processing: birdiejooa@crunchbang:~/downloads$

The other option is to compile from source then. 

The other option is to compile from source then. 

not too keen on that idea with my previous fun I had with compiling stuff from source.

I just added Birdie, works!

@UselessBread, you need to add the dependency apps to get it to work, they're all listed in your attempted install, add them then birdie.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I just added Birdie, works!

@UselessBread, you need to add the dependency apps to get it to work, they're all listed in your attempted install, add them then birdie.

I know. that is just waaay too much work.

Occupational hazard of using a Linux distribution. 

e: You can combine all dependencies into something like:

sudo apt-get install [comma-separated list of dependencies]

doesn't have to be comma seperated, but also gdebi should fetch those from your repositories. If they are not there, which is the case for me, happy hunting for packages.

Its not for everyone ;)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I use Multtiple for Twitter and Tumblr. You need to install Adobe Air though.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 3 weeks later...

• Posting tweets
  • reading my timeline
  • minimal UI
  • runs on linux

I'm a big fan of Hotot. Awesome Twitter deck-ish prog ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...