Dell XPS 15 9550 Review

soak it plaese

RyanTheCanadian

Network Administration / Systems Management and Security / White Hat

My computer is the definition of scrapyard wars.

16 hours ago, meanbeef said:

Just had to register to comment on this. I have been waiting for this review for a while.
I wonder if Linus could test a External GPU setup by using PCI-E to thunderbolt 3 adapter, and a external PSU for the GPU. I know it was mentioned by dell originally the new XPS's will be able to do this, but I cannot find evidence of anyone anywhere doing it.
Only thing stopping me from buying the XPS 15 at the moment is confirming the external GPU setup works.

I don't have an external GPU box yet.. So stay tuned.

22 hours ago, iPolymer said:

The screen sold it to me right off the bat in the begining of the video. 

Me to, this must be my next laptop. 

19 hours ago, pk-man said:

that dbrand skin is kind of off putting...

Just not a fan of the fake wood look on a laptop. It reminds me of those stationwagons and minivans with the terrible wood trim.

I know that the wood skins look ugly, but i think that the carbon fibre is beautiful. 

1 hour ago, maartenbe99 said:

Me to, this must be my next laptop. 

I know that the wood skins look ugly, but i think that the carbon fibre is beautiful. 

Aluminum notebooks always look the best. 

22 hours ago, Daring said:

*comment about thinkpads and how great they are*

Yep, but only till T410 series. That garbage which came after them with that 16:9 crap like displays can go to hell. Also Dell Latitudes were used to be great till the end of the first E series line. But mechanically the D series was still the greatest.

@LinusTech Did you also ever considered Dell Latitudes or Lenovo Thinkpads (T & P series only) for use as daily workgear or for reviews?

At least that business models are easy to maintain, repair and have also good service options. My personal killer feature is the Trackpoint, I buy no Laptop anymore without that. I'm really hoping for the Retro Thinpkad.

On 01/03/2016 at 5:48 AM, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

XPS laptops are probably my favorite all-purpose laptops.

My only quibble is that the fans from my experience are noisy as hell as soon as you start doing something more taxing. 

6 hours ago, visitor2015 said:

Yep, but only till T410 series. That garbage which came after them with that 16:9 crap like displays can go to hell. Also Dell Latitudes were used to be great till the end of the first E series line. But mechanically the D series was still the greatest.

@LinusTech Did you also ever considered Dell Latitudes or Lenovo Thinkpads (T & P series only) for use as daily workgear or for reviews?

At least that business models are easy to maintain, repair and have also good service options. My personal killer feature is the Trackpoint, I buy no Laptop anymore without that. I'm really hoping for the Retro Thinpkad.

Our only Thinkpad review

I can see this being the best eGPU laptop. It comes with a quad core processor (which trumps razer's choice for a dual core i7. I can only assume they did this so the stealth could get recognized as an ultrabook) and a dGPU already included for mobile gaming. 

It isn't marketed by DELL(External GPU with the XPS series), but since it has a TB3 port all dell needs to do is push out a BIOS update for their XPSs and voila! It's now eGPU ready. 

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

22 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I don't have an external GPU box yet.. So stay tuned.

I have seen a number of DIY options done over the past few years for different types of eGPU, is that not an option for the current thunderbolt ones? Hope you get one soon, no one else seems to be benchmarking or commenting on how eGPU is going, only in trade shows.

I wonder which one is better for a CS student, the Macbook Pro or XPS 15 ? I know the infamous quality of a Mac but what about this ?

16 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Thanks for that hint. I almost forgot about that video from almost one year ago. I totally agree with Linus about configuration options and trackpad buttons (for that trackpad aficionados), Personally I would not declare that X1 Carbon as real working machine because it lacks some cool options like docking connectors on the bottom and toolless  replaceable components like battery etc. pp.

Does any one have an idea of the Battery Run Times for the edition with the i5 - 6300 and the 1080p display? Also if planned usage is primarily office documents etc do the keyboard and palm rests become hot?

• 1 year later...

I have to know, why has this not replaced the razer as his daily driver? I don't mean this to be personal or insulting, I just genuinely want to know the pros / cons of each, a genuine comparison of the two. 

Personally, the XPS 15 just makes more sense. With the refreshed versions of each, they both have the same processors, potentially the same RAM, and hard drive space. The XPS also has a larger screen in about the same general overall size, along with a much longer battery life. The 1050 card in there may not be as powerful as the 1060 in the Blade, but it is still quite competent, and if you truly want to use it for gaming chances are it with be on a desktop. Also, personally the Trackpad seems a bit better and I kind of think the separate click buttons on the Blade is a poor, ugly choice. 

I do understand the Blade has its own advantages though. The 1060 is quite powerful and if the 1050 in the XPS just won't cut it that's understandable. I also get wanting to have a full 4 PCIe Lane's for Thunderbolt 3 available. The Webcam and microphone on the xps are also pretty bad and if that's important I can get that. Also, RGB  lighting... 

Just overall, it seems like you get a better deal with the XPS, especially considering the price difference and the power you get. Any thoughts on this? I just wonder because I'm considering the two different laptops and want to make the best choice for my needs. Just looking for some insight.