Raspberry Pi 3 is out

Sauron

pi5.jpg

The Pi 2 (on the left) and the Pi 3 (on the right)

Hello everyone, let me get straight to the point:

The Raspberry Pi foundation has finally released their new "flagship", the Raspberry Pi 3 model B. It features a 64-bit quad core A53 arm cpu clocked at 1.2GHz, the usual videocore IV gpu (which received a substantial bump in clock speed from 250MHz to 400MHz), 1GiB of LPDDR2-900 sdram. While the ports and board layout remain the same as the Pi 2, there are some welcome changes on the wireless front: 802.11n wifi and bluetooth 4.0 support out of the box, which adds a lot of value to the board.

The pricing is the same as usual, with a 35$ msrp (which will probably levitate to 45 bananas in most countries).

This is great news if you ask me, while I would have liked to see usb 3.x or hdmi 2.0 (/displayport) the Pi 3 is still very much an improvement over its predecessor and I can't wait to get a hold of one.

sources:

http://hackaday.com/2016/02/28/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-3/

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/raspberry-pi-3-has-wi-fi-and-bluetooth-64-bit-chip-still-just-35/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-02/29/raspberry-pi-three-wifi-bluetooth-release-price-cost

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

WHAT! 1GB RAM for desktop? WTF. I think i'll have to wait for the Raspberry Pi 4 then. for 2GB.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It only costs $75 here. Not as bad as I expected , considering the Raspberry Pi 2 is like $50.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Hm nice. And the wifi/ bluetooth addition is the only new thing?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

WHAT! 1GB RAM for desktop? WTF. I think i'll have to wait for the Raspberry Pi 4 then. for 2GB.

What for? You wouldn't be running windows on this. Although I do agree more would have been nice.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

What for? You wouldn't be running windows on this. Although I do agree more would have been nice.

Running Ubuntu on this would have been possible with 2GB.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

Its possible with 1GB.

Not the way I use it.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Running Ubuntu on this would have been possible with 2GB.

There already is a version of ubuntu MATE out for the pi 2. Runs just fine - unity is the ram hog, other DEs don't have this problem.

2 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

well, that and a cpu that is 50%+ more powerful as well as 64 bit

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

There already is a version of ubuntu MATE out for the pi 2. Runs just fine - unity is the ram hog, other DEs don't have this problem.

well, that and a cpu that is 50%+ more powerful as well as 64 bit

Well I like Unity :( and I can run Ubuntu butter smooth with 8 or 16GB RAM :)Muhahahahaha

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Raspberry Pi wasn't exactly meant to be a desktop replacement.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Just now, Nineshadow said:

The Raspberry Pi wasn't exactly meant to be a desktop replacement.

What is it supposed to be?

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

:D:D:D LMFAO

You just made my night :D

Not mine since it's 75 bananas here ;_;

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Pi is original intended as a cheap development platform and for a teaching, that's what it was originally created but due to being ridiculous cheap people found out you can do a lot of things with it on a budget. A lot of people use it to run basic home server set ups and as a streaming client so a pretty basic HTPC, also for game emulation up to 5th gen (n64, ps1 and similar or older). not many people use it as a desktop PC, its to slow for it, since it has to run a GUI which takes a lot of resources for the type of hardware it has, i know they have their own fork of debian with a GUI and all but its very barebones and its mostly used to teach python AFAIK.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Holy balls that's a huge upgrade. Going from A7 to A53, plus an extra 300MHz on each core. That should be like a 70% performance increase (assuming AArch64 is used) on the CPU, and the GPU will probably see about the same performance bump.

With that built in WiFi and Bluetooth it could be a very capable HTPC. Just get one of those keyboards with a trackpad on them and throw it into a box. If someone made a (good and working) Chromecast server for GNU/Linux then this would kick the living crap out of the Chromecast.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Teaching things such as programming and embedded device development, especially in developing countries.

They should put 1 USB C port, xD

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The step in between a microcontroller and a traditional computer.
Ive seen a lot of people use the Pi where something like an Arduino would be more appropriate. But they are around the same price so, whatever works I guess.

1 hour ago, Sypran said:

The step in between a microcontroller and a traditional computer.
Ive seen a lot of people use the Pi where something like an Arduino would be more appropriate. But they are around the same price so, whatever works I guess.

the advantage of the Rasp over the Arduino is that you can program directly within the Rasp while the Arduino requires a computer to do prepare everything. Personally i prefer Arduino cause it's libraries makes dealing with it I/O pins a breeze

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The ODroid C2 was announced today also.

Quad Core 2.0GHz 64bit ARM CPU

5x GPU cores (4K @ 60FPS)

2GB DDR3

GigE Port

HDMI 2.0

The only downside is right now the only supported OS options for the ODroids are Ubuntu and Android (although the android distro is much better than the now unsupported one for the Raspberry Pi).

-KuJoe

Would it be feasible to stream AAA titles using steam on this raspberry Pi if I have a high end custom pc elsewhere in my house?

5 minutes ago, Hchighfield said:

Would it be feasible to stream AAA titles using steam on this raspberry Pi if I have a high end custom pc elsewhere in my house?

Steam doesn't support ARM, so you cant run Steam on the pi.

7 hours ago, IMPERIUS said:

Upgraded CPU too, among other things. More USB ports too. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

3 hours ago, Hchighfield said:

Not through steam, but if you have an nvidia gpu there is a way to use nvidia game stream on it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Holy balls that's a huge upgrade. Going from A7 to A53, plus an extra 300MHz on each core. That should be like a 70% performance increase (assuming AArch64 is used) on the CPU, and the GPU will probably see about the same performance bump.

With that built in WiFi and Bluetooth it could be a very capable HTPC. Just get one of those keyboards with a trackpad on them and throw it into a box. If someone made a (good and working) Chromecast server for GNU/Linux then this would kick the living crap out of the Chromecast.

Teaching things such as programming and embedded device development, especially in developing countries.

I'm programming just fine on a $1200 PC. bro.