Apple Releases opening statement to congress

8uhbbhu8

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/29/11133266/apple-fbi-judiciary-committee-encryption-statement

So Apple has released their opening statement to the USA Congress as a start to defending their position on resisting the FBIs' efforts to get them to unlock an Iphone (and more) in the "Apple vs FBI" case.

(you can read more about this here): 

Spoiler

Now Apple goes through all the basic arguments:

The FBI has asked a Court to order us to give them something we don’t have. To create an operating system that does not exist — because it would be too dangerous

building that software tool would not affect just one iPhone

Hundreds of millions of law-abiding people trust Apple’s products

But they also make other points which it seems the general public forgets about when "National Security" gets mentioned.

Do we want to put a limit on the technology that protects our data, and therefore our privacy and our safety, in the face of increasingly sophisticated cyber attacks?

Hundreds of millions of law-abiding people trust Apple’s products with the most intimate details of their daily lives

Now this has been debated thousands of times by now but I think its still not enough. Security is paramount in our society. ESPECIALLY personal security. I have no sympathy for terrorists but even if Apple does go ahead with what the FBI wants it could still take years to crack the code and by that time any information gleaned (if the phone wasn't already wiped) would be useless.

The problem is its not just about 1 iphone. There are (so far) around 175 iphones the FBI has later admitted they would use the software on.

District Attorney Vance has also said he would absolutely plan to use this on over 175 phones

So what was about 1 iphone has turned into over 175..... legally this shouldn't be possible considering the warrant conditions and that everything was stated to be only about the san Bernardino phone.

Its going to be interesting to see what questions congress asks Apple and what the answers will be. I also think that this case will be a landmark case for encryption and security in general considering how Apple will decide to act after this is all over in terms of adding even more security to their phones.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Attached is the legal response Apple gave to the FBI. It's 65 pages of brutal common sense and rock-solid case law, it is amazing, and you should all read it. The lawyers who wrote this just completely eviscerated the FBI's case. If this case were akin a medieval battle in a castle, the lawyer would have single-handedly slaughtered everyone in the castle, blood everywhere, all that good stuff. It's Sir Lancelot from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when he attacks the Swamp Castle.

300522240-Motion-to-Vacate-Brief-and-Supporting-Declarations.pdf

Apple has a good point to argue that if the perceived security of their product comes into question with this tool being available all of their company's stock value would suffer by losing the public's confidence in the security of their products.

What the hell is going on why am I backing Apple!?!?!?

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

21 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

Attached is the legal response Apple gave to the FBI. It's 65 pages of brutal common sense, and it is amazing, and you should all read it. The lawyers who wrote this just completely eviscerated the FBI's case. If this case were akin a medieval battle in a castle, the lawyer would have single-handedly slaughtered everyone in the castle, blood everywhere, all that good stuff.

Only on page 16 and it's already wreaking the FBIs claims. Too bad no on will read this.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I am just curious how the FBI/Gov't/et al. would react if they found out that Apple was going to install a backdoor for China, or Russia.  The US gov't would lose their shit, yet we feel we can do it because we are the world, and the rest of the countries are simply allowed to exist.

If the FBI win this case, and Apple is forced to make this program, international sales will likely dive.  And other nations will likely demand the same level of access.  And then how soon until the major governments can access every phone from every nation?  And how quickly will hackers break in when it is basically told to the world, that there is a backdoor into every phone?

It starts with one tool, that works on one type of phone.  Then it becomes legislated that all phones must allow gov't backdoor access.  And that isn't even a stretch, they will just go all Patriot Act on the phone makers and carriers.

1 minute ago, ChineseChef said:

I am just curious how the FBI/Gov't/et al. would react if they found out that Apple was going to install a backdoor for China, or Russia.  The US gov't would lose their shit, yet we feel we can do it because we are the world, and the rest of the countries are simply allowed to exist.

If the FBI win this case, and Apple is forced to make this program, international sales will likely dive.  And other nations will likely demand the same level of access.  And then how soon until the major governments can access every phone from every nation?  And how quickly will hackers break in when it is basically told to the world, that there is a backdoor into every phone?

It starts with one tool, that works on one type of phone.  Then it becomes legislated that all phones must allow gov't backdoor access.  And that isn't even a stretch, they will just go all Patriot Act on the phone makers and carriers.

And then everyone will use burner phones for their basic communication needs, because as we saw from the Paris Bombings, unencrypted SMS traffic has historically been all but unmonitored.

5 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

You have a very good point there and it's just another reason why we Apple NEEDS to win this. Personally if I could and if it was practical I would encrypt the wazoo out of every device I own so it would be virtually impossible to get at. Unfortunately that means tons of more overhead needed for unlocking the devices every-time I need to access them and for me right now is just not practical :P

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

3 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

And then everyone will use burner phones for their basic communication needs, because as we saw from the Paris Bombings, unencrypted SMS traffic has historically been all but unmonitored.

Actually, this makes me wonder.  At what point will someone release a phone, that actually makes it mainstream, that will basically just be a blank OS.  Similar to Windows/OSX/Linux, in the sense that you get hardware, and basic software that simply manages your connection to your carrier.  But its up to you to actually install a phone program, and messenger program.  And you can install apps that will auto record your calls, or auto encrypt everything.  Basically just a regular PC, but in a phone form factor.  Or simply a phone that is designed from the ground up to give the user root control.

Would these types of phone become illegal?  I am really wondering at what point the war between how incredibly simple encryption is to use, will come to head with the gov'ts insane desire to control the people.  And when it does happen, will we few be silenced by the uncaring masses?  Or will the masses actually do something?  My greatest fear is that we will become the horrid dystopia, and it will be to the thunderous applause and tearful gratitude of the ignorant and indifferent masses.  That we who see the problems this will cause will be silenced, either with actual force, or simply the knowledge that it is waiting for us.

2 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Reveal hidden contents

So what was about 1 iphone has turned into over 175..... legally this shouldn't be possible considering the warrant conditions and that everything was stated to be only about the san Bernardino phone.

The specific condition of the warrant/case are almost irrelevant to the precedent that is set. What the court is doing here is interpreting the All Writs Act of 1789 in a way that gives the government the power to compel a corporation to create a back door into their product. This precedent would then become universally usable as they've essentially (not really, but for an easy explanation it helps to say it) re-written the law to permit this. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

45 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

It's painful reading this. I have no education in law so there may be some key aspects going over my head but it seems like every law written in regards to encryption and the governments ability to control 3rd-partys is in Apple's favour. Multiple times its stated that the government examined whether or not 3rd-parties should be able to be forced to make non existing software or hardware and decided that they aren't required too.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 hour ago, Bensemus said:

It's painful reading this. I have no education in law so there may be some key aspects going over my head but it seems like every law written in regards to encryption and the governments ability to control 3rd-partys is in Apple's favour. Multiple times its stated that the government examined whether or not 3rd-parties should be able to be forced to make non existing software or hardware and decided that they aren't required too.

Not only that, but just the Court's invocation of the All Writs Act is overstepping the jurisdiction it gives the judicial. It was never made to handle a case like this, and it is not even within the power of the courts to use it to the end of rewriting, overturning or even updating law. That power remains in the hands of Congress. So the Judicial's use of the Act is entirely baseless and without cause. It is not legally permissible per Congress' declaration to use the All Writs Act to give a government body unlimited power and authority and it is disingenuous and false for them to willfully interpret it as such.

3 hours ago, KemoKa said:

Attached is the legal response Apple gave to the FBI. It's 65 pages of brutal common sense and rock-solid case law, it is amazing, and you should all read it. The lawyers who wrote this just completely eviscerated the FBI's case. If this case were akin a medieval battle in a castle, the lawyer would have single-handedly slaughtered everyone in the castle, blood everywhere, all that good stuff. It's Sir Lancelot from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when he attacks the Swamp Castle.

cit. Wendell

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, KemoKa said:

That was a brilliant read. The Federal Bureau of Incompetence got totally rekt and then flushed down the shitter.

Though I do have one little tiny bit of criticism: they keep talking about this case as if it's only affecting iPhones. It's not. Everything running iOS is affected. iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad are all affected. If you wanna make the case clear, account the sales of those devices as a whole since it's affecting them as a whole. That's over a billion (yes, billion) devices. That should clear some minds.

Ye ole' train

IF the fbi wins the case than they will go after every tech company and will tell them to install a backdoor. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

2 hours ago, imperialplanet said:

fbi wins the case than they will go after every tech company and will tell them to install a backdoor. 

If they win then every government could go after every company. Once one does it they will all want the same access so as to not be left behind. 

laptop