HoloLens is up for pre-order

Napper198

If you think VR-Headsest are expensive, don't read this post any longer, as Microsoft has put their AR-Headset HoloLens up for pre-order.

The price? 3000 USD

Shipping on March 30th

That's only the developer version and you can't even buy it outright. You'll have to get your application approved by Microsoft and wait for an invite from them.

On the hardware front, we get a nicely detailed list of specifications, including some new parameters we’ve never heard of before—this makes sense since, you know, nobody’s really ever made hardware quite like this. In particular, these optical specifications are of interest:

• Automatic pupillary distance calibration
  • Holographic Resolution: 2.3M total light points
  • Holographic Density: >2.5k radiants (light points per radian)

To anyone that’s been following the Hololens release closely, the hardware specifications are kind of a big deal. We no have a full accounting of all the sensors that ship with the headset, which play a big part in what make Hololens unique. In addition to obvious stuff like inertial tracking via accelerometers and gyroscopes, HoloLens will use four “environment understanding” cameras, a depth camera, and four microphones.

In terms of inputs, it will support voice and gesture controls. There will be gaze tracking so that you can use your eyeballs to select different holographic objects. HoloLens will also be able to understand sound around you as another source of information. The 1.25-pound headset will last 2-3 hours on a single charge.

In sum, Microsoft has developed some substantial hardware, and though our earlier experiences with the hardware haven’t been bug free, Microsoft’s already innovating ahead of other futuristic virtual reality headsets like the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift in that HoloLens is completely untethered—there are no wires tying you to a computer

Source: Gizmodo

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

In perspective this makes the Vive and Oculus Rift seem not so bad price wise. Still doesn't make me want one just yet but at least with all these three should be a surge in VR development!

Edit: I'm not saying that the vive and rift are cheap in comparison I'm just saying that $3000 makes the prices of $600 and $800 not seem as high but this isn't comparing their scope/technology/production runs. 

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

ive heard its amazing from people who actually tried it

$3k sounds fair

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, abyss03 said:

In perspective this makes the Vive and Oculus Rift seem not so bad price wise. Still doesn't make me want one just yet but at least with all these three should be a surge in VR development!

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

$3k sounds fair

TBH I think Oculus skewed our expectations on VR-Headset prices by selling their developer versions for 300$.

Sure, it was a necessity to get developers and adoption overall, but that's how things are.

If we want cheap VR we probably have to put our money on PSVR, whether we like it or not. 

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

4 minutes ago, abyss03 said:

Actually in perspective Oculus Rift (OR) and Vive are OVER priced considering they are pretty much a screen and manual calibration lens', for calibration to a users eye sight, with a gyroscope and some IR sensors/Camera.

Hololens on the otherhand augments reality and can auto-calibrate its screen depending on the individual users eyesight.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Just now, Napper198 said:

TBH I think Oculus skewed our expectations on VR-Headset prices by selling their developer versions for 300$.

Sure, it was a necessity to get developers and adoption overall, but that's how things are.

If we want cheap VR we probably have to put our money on PSVR, whether we like it or not. 

There is a lot of smaller vr kits coming out as well, Star VR is one being made by Star-breeze (Owners of Payday devs Overkill) and other small ones

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

2 minutes ago, Lazmarr said:

Actually in perspective Oculus Rift (OR) and Vive are OVER priced considering they are pretty much a screen and manual calibration lens', for calibration to a users eye sight, with a gyroscope and some IR sensors/Camera.

Hololens on the otherhand augments reality and can auto-calibrate its screen depending on the individual users eyesight.

I suppose, I haven't really kept up with the hololens and I kinda forgot about it until hearing about this. I think I will just wait until prices drop so its more affordable

3 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

I should do a better job in searching the forum :(

@GoodBytes already did a post back in october

At least I was able to add the shipping date so this is not a complete waste of time xD

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

$3k sounds fair

Yeah, I heard this as well. However, some people say that the FOV is to small right (or something along those lines).

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

19 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

Yeah, I heard this as well. However, some people say that the FOV is to small right (or something along those lines).

yeah, nothing to the sides

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

41 minutes ago, abyss03 said:

No. In perspective this is a development kit, meaning there's a limited supply of these. If they mass produced them they wouldn't have the price so high. 

I wouldn't expect HoloLense to be a consumer product until 2018 at least. 

13 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

No. In perspective this is a development kit, meaning there's a limited supply of these. If they mass produced them they wouldn't have the price so high. 

I wouldn't expect HoloLense to be a consumer product until 2018 at least. 

True I suppose, though the dk for the rift was cheaper than retail but we will have to wait and see. 

I agree we still have a while to wait until the hololens is ready for retail

Even though it will probably be a while before AR gains ground in the consumer market, I am much more excited for AR than VR.

I think AR is kind of like a next step from VR. We're just seeing VR this year for consumers so I doubt HoloLens will come out anytime soon. 

Even then $3,000 is for the dev kit. Microsoft isn't going to make hundreds of them so that is why the price is so high. I doubt it will be that expensive at launch. The consumer model will probably be $1,000-$1,300 max if other AR products don't start popping up. High but fair.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Wasn't there a topic last week in lines of "public is not ready for hololens" so they were not releasing it yet ?

Please someone answer me as this makes me confused.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, Thony said:

Wasn't there a topic last week in lines of "public is not ready for hololens" so they were not releasing it yet ?

Please someone answer me as this makes me confused.

This is for the developer version and you have to apply for it. It's not the consumer version.

Yeah that's some price, it better be justified though :) but I'm aware of stage of such thing.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |