Home file sharing

Loosper
Go to solution Solved by SaladFingers,
12 minutes ago, Loosper said:

I am running on windows 10. I set it up exactly as it said on the windows site and on other guides. The problems are that I can't see the other devices half of the time,can't add a phone and can't see the printer. If there is an option to bypass the windows thing and be more direct I'll be quite happy.

You're still not explaining anything at all, but I'll try to give you some hints about stuff that maybe you could try:

1) First off, devices showing under your "Network" menu in Windows lie. Seriously, that thing is almost never reliable, don't trust it. 

2) At the device you want to access files from, make sure you set a static local IP. Let's say for example, that you use 192.168.1.100. Your device will always be sitting there and you can always go to Run -> //192.168.1.100 to access it. Let's also say the computer is named "BOB", then you can also access it at //BOB. After connecting you can map shared folders on letter drives.

3) Make sure all of the devices are set to be in the same WORKGROUP.

4) Make sure that printer sharing is enabled on the shared machine and that the files/folders you want to share are being shared and have the proper permissions.

5) As for your phone, you will probably need a file explorer app that can do SMB transfers. Search "samba" in the store.

Edit: There is nothing "more direct" than the OS itself. The OS is what takes care of file transfers no matter what.

Hello everyone,

Recently I got a new computer and need to be able to sync files on it with my PC and potentially my phone and a third PC with a printer at home. I tried using the built in windows home network but I couldn't figure out how to use the printer and connect my phone. Is there a better way of doing this that someone can link me to?

You could try adding a basic external hard drive to your router/modem and make it into a NAS (Network attached storage). You will then be able to download files from that router from any device connected to that router. As for your phone, it depends what type it is. You could try installing a VNC server and viewer to your phone and computer to remotely access it. I have done this on my iphone 4s with no problems (it is jailbroken) and I think android may even have support for VNC servers without needing to be rooted. 

You aren't being specific at all... What's wrong with the Windows network? What problems did you run into? It should be the simplest way to do what you're after.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

One of the main problems is how exactly do I access the files on the router/other PC. The windows network doesn't want to work for me.

16 minutes ago, Loosper said:

The windows network doesn't want to work for me.

You need to help us understand what's not working for you in order to help you though. Stating that it "doesn't want to work" leaves us no room for suggestions. What isn't working? How did you configure stuff? Do you need a step by step guide on how to configure it or are you stuck into something more specific?

~ Specs bellow ~

CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Just now, SaladFingers said:

You need to help us understand what's not working for you in order to help you though. Stating that it "doesn't want to work" leaves us no room for suggestions. What isn't working? How did you configure stuff? Do you need a step by step guide on how to configure it or are yous tuck into something more specific?

I am running on windows 10. I set it up exactly as it said on the windows site and on other guides. The problems are that I can't see the other devices half of the time,can't add a phone and can't see the printer. If there is an option to bypass the windows thing and be more direct I'll be quite happy.

12 minutes ago, Loosper said:

You're still not explaining anything at all, but I'll try to give you some hints about stuff that maybe you could try:

1) First off, devices showing under your "Network" menu in Windows lie. Seriously, that thing is almost never reliable, don't trust it. 

2) At the device you want to access files from, make sure you set a static local IP. Let's say for example, that you use 192.168.1.100. Your device will always be sitting there and you can always go to Run -> //192.168.1.100 to access it. Let's also say the computer is named "BOB", then you can also access it at //BOB. After connecting you can map shared folders on letter drives.

4) Make sure that printer sharing is enabled on the shared machine and that the files/folders you want to share are being shared and have the proper permissions.

5) As for your phone, you will probably need a file explorer app that can do SMB transfers. Search "samba" in the store.

Edit: There is nothing "more direct" than the OS itself. The OS is what takes care of file transfers no matter what.

~ Specs bellow ~

17 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

I think this is most of what I want. Thanks!