Server Space Prices

Is this to little for server space storage prices. Leave what option you think is best

1) 1GB= .50

2) 1GB= .75

3) 1GB= 1.00

What is most fair

Just now, KuJoe said:

What do you mean?

Like I am starting a business like RackSpace.com

5 minutes ago, Pause122 said:

Like I am starting a business like RackSpace.com

OK, you need to provide a lot more information about what you mean. What kind of RAID? Is that pricing per month? What kind of infrastructure do you have? What kind of "storage" are you offering (i.e. FTP, block, server, etc...)?

To give you an idea, I sell storage VPS plans for as low as $0.039/GB per month (and that's considered expensive).

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

OK, you need to provide a lot more information about what you mean. What kind of RAID? Is that pricing per month? What kind of infrastructure do you have? What kind of "storage" are you offering (i.e. FTP, block, server, etc...)?

To give you an idea, I sell storage VPS plans for as low as $0.039/GB per month (and that's considered expensive).

I was thinking GB/month and any raid from 0-5 and maybe I was thinking .10/gb 

1 minute ago, Pause122 said:

I was thinking GB/month and any raid from 0-5 and maybe I was thinking .10/gb 

$100 per TB per two months + network charges like $20 per month

2 minutes ago, Pause122 said:

$100 per TB

Per month? I can rent servers with 4TB for $20 a month with 2 Quad-Core Xeons, 16GB of RAM, and 10TB @ 1Gbps of bandwidth. Care you post or send your business plan over so I can take a look? Also will you be colocating in a local data center or remote and do you have a data center in mind?

Also how will you be offering this space?

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Per month? I can rent servers with 4TB for $20 a month with 2 Quad-Core Xeons, 16GB of RAM, and 10TB @ 1Gbps of bandwidth. Care you post or send your business plan over so I can take a look? Also will you be colocating in a local data center or remote and do you have a data center in mind?

This is a start up for now also possably a year to year thing like 1TB = $150 per year and 2TB = $300 /year

Just now, Pause122 said:

This is a start up for now also possably a year to year thing like 1TB = $150 per year and 2TB = $300 /year

That is still extremely expensive. Also can you answer these questions for me?

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Care you post or send your business plan over so I can take a look? Also will you be colocating in a local data center or remote and do you have a data center in mind?

-KuJoe

No sorry like I just said this is a startup so I am finding there bare minimum information. I am planing to have a max of 4, 40U racks in my basement and also my friend/partner in data storage will have a max of 8, 42U racks. All of the servers will be in our houses. Will be offering this space by my mom works for dex and knows a lot of people looking for little space.

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

That is still extremely expensive. Also can you answer these questions for me?

13 minutes ago, Pause122 said:

You said $100 per TB per year is expensive and you said you could get   "I can rent servers with 4TB for $20 a month with 2 Quad-Core Xeons, 16GB of RAM, and 10TB @ 1Gbps of bandwidth." that would be $240 per year

Just now, Pause122 said:

No sorry like I just said this is a startup so I am finding there bare minimum information. I am planing to have a max of 4, 40U racks in my basement and also my friend/partner in data storage will have a max of 8, 42U racks. All of the servers will be in our houses. Will be offering this space by my mom works for dex and knows a lot of people looking for little space.

Don't bother. Hosting out of your house is a horrible idea and will limit your clients tremendously. Unless you happen to live in a hospital or some other place with redundant power and multiple uplinks and great security it's not worth it for you or your clients. How many 1Gbps ISP uplinks do you have at your houses? You can't expect to sell petabytes of data on a single 1Gbps port. Also how many IPs do you have access to? How will you handle DDOS attacks?

My advice is go find a local data center to find colocation pricing. It'll be much cheaper for you and much better for you and your clients.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, Pause122 said:

You said $100 per TB per year is expensive and you said you could get   "I can rent servers with 4TB for $20 a month with 2 Quad-Core Xeons, 16GB of RAM, and 10TB @ 1Gbps of bandwidth." that would be $240 per year

Yes, that's $60 per TB per year and that comes with a whole server. I can grab 10TB of block storage from hubiC for $54/year.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Don't bother. Hosting out of your house is a horrible idea and will limit your clients tremendously. Unless you happen to live in a hospital or some other place with redundant power and multiple uplinks and great security it's not worth it for you or your clients. How many 1Gbps ISP uplinks do you have at your houses? You can't expect to sell petabytes of data on a single 1Gbps port. Also how many IPs do you have access to? How will you handle DDOS attacks?

My advice is go find a local data center to find colocation pricing. It'll be much cheaper for you and much better for you and your clients.

Trust me We have each a 100amp breaker for each home just for servers, 2 cameras in each room except bedrooms and bathrooms (DUH) in a gated community 2 german shepards and a gas fire suppression system so no liquid damage 

I also have a 10 port 10Gbps and 3 sonicwalls and 2 routers in one line so we can stop all DDoS

Damn, I think I just got trolled. What a waste of time. :(

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

you were not trolled o.O

Just now, Pause122 said:

you were not trolled o.O

If you are being serious then best of luck to you, you're really going to need it.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

why would you think so?

Just now, Pause122 said:

why would you think so?

Because you made a statement that was extremely wrong and hilarious but stated it like it wasn't.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

If you are being serious then best of luck to you, you're really going to need it.

Oh i see where wrong sorry for the typo here is the whole thing

I have a 100 amp breaker just for servers 

I have a 10Gbps link

In very secure House 

already have 10 servers for startup they are all Dell Poweredge 2950 servers

Have a UPS that will hold all Equipment at half  load for 30min

anything else you need to know

1) A 100 amp breaker will only hold about 20-30 of those 2950s max (not including any networking equipment). The 2950s use about 2.5 amps each (up to 3 amps depending on the CPUs) and you can only use 80 amps max if you want to be within code.

2) You only have a single 10Gbps uplink? What happens when that gets saturated with a DDOS attack (i.e. before the attack hits your modem/router)?

3) I'm sure it is, still not something you want to advertise but at the same time it'll be extremely easy for clients to find out so don't hide it either.

4) The 2950s aren't bad, but they are slow and power hungry. My advice is look into getting either Dell CS-24s, C1100s, or R610s for a better performance to power ratio.

5) How long will your generator run for at full load (if you're going to be storing people's data they expect at least 99.9% uptime (no more than ~43 minutes of network/power downtime per month, RackSpace guarantees 100% network uptime).

-KuJoe

I didn't realize how off topic we've gotten. Back on topic, $100/year per 1TB of storage is still expensive. If you can get it down to around $50/year with a good SLA then you'll do pretty good in the somewhat saturated market.

-KuJoe