UPGRADE YOUR MEMORY!!!

goon

Until today I was a stubborn mofo. I constantly told myself that 2gb was enough for games as well as a smooth desktop experience. I was completely wrong. I was at Fry's Electronics picking up a new 7850 (for my brothers birthday) and saw a deal on 4gb of 1333 mhz ram. It was only 10 dollars! So I thought to myself "might as well". I came home and installed the ram and booted back up. I initially felt the difference when all the startup applications were starting; I could navigate Explorer with ease (something I couldn't do with 2gb). The second was that my frame rates on BF3 were about 14% higher and it never stuttered! The third was when i was playing BF3, alt+tab out of the game was instant and took no time. Overall upgrading the memory was totally worth it! $10.00 upgrade for 14% performance increase. DO IT NOW!!!!

Higher speeds also help out in boot times and numerous other things. I would've bought two if I were you.

Good for you ! Personally i think that for a 64 bit operating system ( you probably have 32 bit , you should upgrade :/ ) 6gb of ram is the sweet spot , not too much (8gb) not too low (4gb). But it's kinda hard to find ( you have to buy 1x4gb and 1x2gb :( ) but for a budget build its ok !

4GB's is basically all you need for any game. 2GB is indeed a little short.

Higher speeds don't boost performance within games.

6-8GB of 1600Mhz CL9 RAM is as good as it really needs to get for gaming ATM. Faster speeds may marginally increase performance, but in most gaming scenarios it wont matter.

Unless you are using on-board video, then it really matters

People say 4GB but with the pricing of RAM nowadays, it's hard not to justify getting 8GB or even 16GB (~$80ish USD). 8GB is only around ~$40-50 and it'd be a waste not to get 8GB of dual channel memory.

People say 4GB but with the pricing of RAM nowadays' date=' it's hard not to justify getting 8GB or even 16GB (~$80ish USD). 8GB is only around ~$40-50 and it'd be a waste not to get 8GB of dual channel memory.[/quote']

I don't agree. Unless your using RAMDISK or some video editing(which I don't event think you need a lot) you don't need 8gb. I know "better safe then sorry" but if your a gamer or an average consumer 4GB is enough. It's cheap and you can put the saved money towards other parts of your build.

People say 4GB but with the pricing of RAM nowadays' date=' it's hard not to justify getting 8GB or even 16GB (~$80ish USD). 8GB is only around ~$40-50 and it'd be a waste not to get 8GB of dual channel memory.[/quote'] I don't agree. Unless your using RAMDISK or some video editing(which I don't event think you need a lot) you don't need 8gb. I know "better safe then sorry" but if your a gamer or an average consumer 4GB is enough. It's cheap and you can put the saved money towards other parts of your build.

8GB is only ~$40. It'd be pretty stupid to pass 8GB of RAM for the amount you're paying for. It's more future proof.

4GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233173 $27.99 USD

8GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315 $38.99 USD (~$9 more)

8GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180 $45.99 USD (~$18 more)

8GB is more worth it for it's price, especially if building a new computer.

People say 4GB but with the pricing of RAM nowadays' date=' it's hard not to justify getting 8GB or even 16GB (~$80ish USD). 8GB is only around ~$40-50 and it'd be a waste not to get 8GB of dual channel memory.[/quote'] I don't agree. Unless your using RAMDISK or some video editing(which I don't event think you need a lot) you don't need 8gb. I know "better safe then sorry" but if your a gamer or an average consumer 4GB is enough. It's cheap and you can put the saved money towards other parts of your build.

I agree 4GB is probably enough but it doesn't hurt to have the extra RAM and with the cost of RAM being so low its hard to not justify it.

Upgrading from 2GB to 6GB is a lot more of an upgrade than 4GB to 8GB. For the majority, 2GB will only serve you well enough if you are only browsing the web. With gaming, you need 4-8GB to have some satisfying performance from the RAM.

My Rig:

• CPU: 1090T@4.1ghz
  • GPU: Gigabyte 7870
  • MOBO: Crosshair Formula V
  • RAM: 8GB 1333mhz
  • PSU: 650w corsair HX
  • SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX
  • Sound card: Asus Xonar DX

People say 4GB but with the pricing of RAM nowadays' date=' it's hard not to justify getting 8GB or even 16GB (~$80ish USD). 8GB is only around ~$40-50 and it'd be a waste not to get 8GB of dual channel memory.[/quote']

I don't agree. Unless your using RAMDISK or some video editing(which I don't event think you need a lot) you don't need 8gb. I know "better safe then sorry" but if your a gamer or an average consumer 4GB is enough. It's cheap and you can put the saved money towards other parts of your build.

No. You can't run any kind of useful RAMDISK on 8GB of RAM, and 8GB isn't nearly enough for proper video editing. I have 6GB on my LAPTOP and without steam or any games running I use over over a third!

I'd say 8gb is perfect these days. BF3 can use up to six if you are like me rolling 16gb

My Current Build:

• 5.0GHz i7-3770k Processor
  • Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 Mobo
  • SLI Asus DCUII 670's Watercooled
  • 120GB Corsair Force GT3 Boot SSD
  • 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
  • 16GB 1866MHz 9-10-9-27 G.Skill Ripjaws Z Memory
  • 1050w Seasonic 80+ Gold
  • Caselabs M8
  • Windows 7 64 bit
  • Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Drive
  • Creative Recon 3D Sound Card
  • XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock
  • Dual 360mm UT60 Rads
  • 15 Yate Loon Medium fans
  • Yamakasi Catleap Monitor (1440p)
  • Sennheiser HD 598

RAM is dirt cheap nowadays so you can buy extra gigs easily. I'm happy with my 16gb :P

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

4gb is to low 8 is perfect for gaming and browsing.

Even if you don't need 8GB, you'll only save $20-$25 by going with 4GB instead of 8GB. Those savings aren't going to do much for you.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

If you're like me and working with VM's a lot, you never have enough. Also, if you have a few GB to spare, look into RAM caching... I got like 6GB/s (yes, bytes, not bits) bursts...

8GB is perfect for me. I run all my games smoothly and I am able to alt+tab out of a game and even start up another game and play it if I really wanted to while still maintaining all the performance.

Higher speeds also help out in boot times and numerous other things. I would've bought two if I were you.
Higher speeds DO NOT HELP.

Its just 2GB isnt enough to run a computer nowadays. I constantly have about 3 GB full.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

4GB's is basically all you need for any game. 2GB is indeed a little short.

Higher speeds don't boost performance within games.

4GB is more of a minimum. 8GB is more safe.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I got 32GB on black friday because it was cheap. Only $109.

Wow, what brand?

G.Skill Sniper

I have 16GB right now. I use 2GB for a RAM Cache(any more and windows does not use it for some reason).

For gaming 8GB is more than enough unless you are also running lots of things in the back ground. I got 16GB because I got 8GB free with my mother board and got another 8GB for less than $30.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers