Google's 6y study into enterprise and consumer grade SSDs - it's not pretty

zMeul
4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Except that the ratings have been found to be bogus, so the actual quality between the two is the same in this respect. Also, just because you read 1*10^15 bits from a drive that has a 1*10^-15 chance per bit to have an error does not mean you will wind up with an error. Do a little basic research on combinatorics and its role in probability.

I am opening a can of worms for even asking this... but can I have a source on the ratings being found as bogus? All I could find from google was a random reddit page (not exactly a trustworthy source for me). Aside from that, you are basically agreeing with what I have said, lol. "Having a chance for error". It's all luck. Having a higher rating means higher luck. Unless you are right about it being bogus, in which case, I'll need to see it to understand it.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

13 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I am opening a can of worms for even asking this... but can I have a source on the ratings being found as bogus? All I could find from google was a random reddit page (not exactly a trustworthy source for me). Aside from that, you are basically agreeing with what I have said, lol. "Having a chance for error". It's all luck. Having a higher rating means higher luck. Unless you are right about it being bogus, in which case, I'll need to see it to understand it.

It's in Google's report, a whole slew of testing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

In the one posted in this thread?

40 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Still can't find that report. However, the original consensus has not been changed on Wikipedia yet ( I know, Wikipedia is not considered a valid source to most people, but they do provide sources for their claims in the bottom)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#URE

It basically confirms exactly what I said before. Can you provide me with a link to your claims or not?

In earlier SSDs when they were still not mature tech, my first one, and that was the only that failed. So as far as reliability I'd say after years of improvements on SSDs it's all great, have couple of them and no issues. As far as endurance, endurance ratings don't satisfy me to much. I mean I won't exceed it within a month or so but still a lot of data is going through it and would like to see significantly more endurance in next gen SSDs.

Would be great if it could be like RAM not needing to worry how much data passed through and lowered it's lifespan.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

In earlier SSDs when they were still not mature tech, my first one, and that was the only that failed. So as far as reliability I'd say after years of improvements on SSDs it's all great, have couple of them and no issues. As far as endurance, endurance ratings don't satisfy me to much. I mean I won't exceed it within a month or so but still a lot of data is going through it and would like to see significantly more endurance in next gen SSDs.

Would be great if it could be like RAM not needing to worry how much data passed through and lowered it's lifespan.

That raises an interesting question that I e never thought about before....why is the endurance of RAM so much higher than SSDs? (I assume if you wrote to ram enough you would eventually degrade the memory chips)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

Still can't find that report. However, the original consensus has not been changed on Wikipedia yet ( I know, Wikipedia is not considered a valid source to most people, but they do provide sources for their claims in the bottom)

It basically confirms exactly what I said before. Can you provide me with a link to your claims or not?

Are you expecting patrick to provide a source? I've personally only seen that happen once.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Are you expecting patrick o provide a source? I've personally only seen that happen once.

I've seen it twice. Once from someone else, and once when provoked by me. However, I knew the chance of getting it this time was pretty slim. Sadly, I was kind of hoping he had a source to prove me wrong on this. Would be nice to know before investing in 8TB enterprise drives, seeing as I can get 8TB consumer Seagate drives for literally half the price.

Maybe the source for this google consumer vs enterprise HDD study is in Jim Keller's desk at the Intel headquarters that they are saving for him, and only he has the key to open it? That's my current theory as to why I have not been presented with any information after being so boldly called out (yet again). 

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

That raises an interesting question that I e never thought about before....why is the endurance of RAM so much higher than SSDs? (I assume if you wrote to ram enough you would eventually degrade the memory chips)

Yes this is also true for RAM but the write endurance on these types of memory chips is so high it's not even worth thinking about. Degradation due to age is a much bigger concern.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes this is also true for RAM but the write endurance on these types of memory chips is so high it's not even worth thinking about. Degradation due to age is a much bigger concern.

I figured that to be the case, but my question was more why is that the case. How does it work that the endurance is so much higher? Is it entirely different flash, or is highly binned, etc...? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, MageTank said:

Yes, in Google's report in this thread, which you already have the link for. Sorry for not responding sooner. Saturday is my workout day.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No, no, no, no, and no.

DRAM is based on capacitors all lined up in a row, hence why it's volatile. They can't hold a charge more than a fraction of a second. NAND flash is an actual transistor-based design which can trap a charge state long-term. RAM can be written to and read from practically forever barring overcharge beyond the rated capacitance of any given bit-holding capacitor and barring regular entropy and the heat death of the universe. It just requires constant power.

39 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Are you expecting patrick to provide a source? I've personally only seen that happen once.

You haven't been around for a couple months have you?

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

You haven't been around for a couple months have you?

No I have been, I just don't follow threads to the point where the arguments break out. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I figured that to be the case, but my question was more why is that the case. How does it work that the endurance is so much higher? Is it entirely different flash, or is highly binned, etc...? 

Completely different. The way the data is stored is different since NAND is nonvolatile and RAM is volatile. Every cycle RAM is rewritten every time since data is stored in capacitors which slowly discharge.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yes, in Google's report in this thread, which you already have the link for. Sorry for not responding sooner. Saturday is my workout day.

I've skimmed through most of the 380 pages, and did not see any mention of URE's and their impact on large RAID arrays. Can you point me to any specific pages, or a specific word I should search within the document?

33 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, no, no, no, and no.

DRAM is based on capacitors all lined up in a row, hence why it's volatile. They can't hold a charge more than a fraction of a second. NAND flash is an actual transistor-based design which can trap a charge state long-term. RAM can be written to and read from practically forever barring overcharge beyond the rated capacitance of any given bit-holding capacitor and barring regular entropy and the heat death of the universe. It just requires constant power.

Except RAM does fail, much more often than what is inferred by what you have written. Really can be bother debating this further but if you have worked for a company with multiple data cetners you will get a feel for how often ram actually does fail, it's more than practically never. 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Except RAM does fail, much more often than what is inferred by what you have written. Really can be bother debating this further but if you have worked for a company with multiple data cetners you will get a feel for how often ram actually does fail, it's more than practically never. 

TBs of RAM running in datacenters and even Petabytes in consumer space go on without ever failing before they're just thrown out with an old rig.

I interned for Google for a whole summer. 1 stick died out of 300TB worth, and that was because the board it was attached to died.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, no, no, no, and no.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Completely different. The way the data is stored is different since NAND is nonvolatile and RAM is volatile. Every cycle RAM is rewritten every time since data is stored in capacitors which slowly discharge.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm

I understand that much, but I don't really understand why that makes a difference in the amount of times data can be written. Maybe there just isn't really an answer that would make sense to me as someone who doesn't understand how they work on an engineering level.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I understand that much, but I don't really understand why that makes a difference in the amount of times data can be written. Maybe there just isn't really an answer that would make sense to me as someone who doesn't understand how they work on an engineering level.

It's very simple. For NAND flash, the voltage required to get it to change electrical states is higher than the silicon can "safely" allow passage. This is what wears flash cells out. You can charge and discharge a capacitor ad infinitum with no consequence as long as you don't push it out of spec. Think of NAND as more rigid and DRAM as much more flexible and thus the forces needed to change both being very different and effectual.

On 2/27/2016 at 9:29 AM, MageTank said:

Document page 67 of: https://www.usenix.org/sites/default/files/fast16_full_proceedings.pdf

Its right in the abstract:

The widely used metric UBER (uncorrectable bit error rate) is not a meaningful metric, since we see no correlation between the number of reads and the number of uncorrectable errors.

EDIT: That sections also goes on to explain the correlation and why the UBER is useless. See section 5.1 of that document. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

this is why I do a double backup on hard drives and only keep applications on ssds since you can always install an app on an ssd but its easier to recover data on a hard drive, simple best of both worlds, oh and dont cheap out on an ssd, you get what you pay for.