Who is renewing their vessel subscription

jameshumphries47

will you be paying for vessel next year  

81 members have voted

1. 1. will you be paying for vessel next year

• yes
    • no
    • maybe

I used it for a while (got caught up in the whole "I don't want to have a week of videos I've already seen" thing), but the poor streaming performance and less friendly controls (no quality select on my iPad???) really didn't make me love it. I've been too busy to watch videos daily recently, so I've dropped it.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

11 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Most of my tech channels are on Vessel but most of my "funny" or political channels are still on youtube, along mirrors of Vessel stuff a bit later. Question though: you guys think Linus should come to an agreement to also release videos early to youtube red subscribers? Cause that'd be an interesting proposition.

Oh and as a side note it really pissed me off that the motherfucking hypocrites at tech syndicate are now on Vessel too. They tried to gave a crap line about "We said never but NOW the deal is good for our viewers!" when he meant to say "I spent all my fucking patreon money on moving to new places constantly and Pistol's Twitch subscriber bucks can only take us so far, more cash please!"

At this point I think Wendell should leave them behind in a fucking hurry.

Except then Linus would be limiting his early content to only US, as I'm pretty sure it's not available in Canada or NZ.

14 hours ago, lightningterror said:

Same here. I gotta turn it down to 480 or 360 for a solid playback without buffer interruptions.

I'll stick with youtube once the subscription is over.

I don't even bother during peak hours anymore because it's a buffering nightmare.

7 hours ago, immortalm3wtwo said:

bruh

reddit.com/r/vesselrips

aha, i didnt know this existed. its sad that something like this has to exsist 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

No, it's not worth it for the like 7 videos I watch on there a week. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I only use it to watch LTT videos, which is one video per week. In the last few months the streaming speed has fluctuated as far down as "unusable" and I've had issues such as videos flickering or playback simply stopping. So no, I probably won't be renewing the subscription.

The automatic renewal date for the free year sub to Vessel is between 22 and 26 March, if anybody is planning on cancelling.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I didn't even realise Vessel was intending to take money. I remember the hype about a year ago when various YouTubers were clearly promoting it.

My 'subscription' would've actually ended on March 2nd, so I'm glad I cancelled it (no idea if they have my card details, can't remember and there's no obvious way to check)

Seems very shady not to tell people their subscription is suddenly becoming a paid one

how do you find out when it runs out? mine just says smarch

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

When I pressed cancel it said when it was due to expire.

Just now, b2311e said:

When I pressed cancel it said when it was due to expire.

oh right ill check now 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

I'm not gonna bother extending past the free trial ending.

The video player is just useless at the best of times. Always buffering and not loading at all in some cases.

I'd much rather wait a week for the videos to show up on youtube.

Just had a look at my vessel account, i dont have a card attached to it, used the free 1 year link, so i assume it'll just stop working?

Looking for a job

FYI, if you don't plan to extend it you can cancel it now and it will still work till your expiry date. Mine is the 24th March. I can't remember if I gave payment info or not and don't want to be charged just in case.

Click Account > Cancel Subscription > Choose your reason why > Here it will tell you your expiry date > Select cancel to not renew subscription after expiry.

For me, the subscription just isn't worth getting the videos a week early.

I canceled last week in case they did have my card details (expires Mar. 24 for me). Problems I had with it

• Video streaming quality was poop
  • After a couple weeks, I fell behind and it was easier to watch content when it premiered on YT
  • Not enough people on it to watch
  • Ads. I used it on my PC with ab-block on so never noticed they started using them until I streamed in on my Chromecast
  • Chromecast support is poo x2. Ads load just fine but the videos themselves take forever to buffer and the app randomly crashes (which means I have to re-watch a ad when I start it again...)

Vessel, from early members of Hulu in an attempt to compete with Youtube...Problem with that is they came from a company with actual tv shows and free ad supported option. You can't try to force people to pay for online videos especially with all the problems.

On the topic of renewing, I also don't plan on renewing YT red when my 3 months ends in April. $10/month is overpriced IMO. Hulu is only $8 ($14 for ad-free) and Netflix middle tier is $11. Both offer feature films and actual TV shows. I said it 23.4 times already but, I hope YouTube introduces a separate -$5/month option for only YT since I don't use any of the other benefits like Google Play music.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

So about 80% won't have the chance to say "i saw on vessel" anymore.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 2/27/2016 at 5:06 PM, jameshumphries47 said:

i think what would be best for linus (my opinion) is to remove themselves from vessel, if the view count is considerable lower that it would be before. and migrate over to youtube red as you said, or even better set something up for themselves so viewers can get content early at a monthly rate. now obviously problems with server costs and the scale of this. its not easy i have tried. but it would be the most profitable and more people would pay as its going to LMG and not paying for a CEO's 6th holiday of the year

They could use a cloud service for that, just like vessel is using amazon cloudfront

I tried vessel, but like most couldn't get over the ads, and the player is just horrible. I'm waiting for Youtube Red to be Launched in Canada. Once that happens I'll use it and move to Play music to lower the costs/Benefits of music and video subscription.

Once YouTube Red is available in more places I think we'll see LTT and Others on vessel moving to using it, as it will be all 1 integrated platform instead of having to manage 2 different accounts on 2 different platforms.

Come on YouTube Red. Get in CANADA.