"Spec showdown: iPhone 5S vs. Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One"

TopWargamer

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57602087-233/spec-showdown-iphone-5s-vs-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one/?ttag=fbwp

S7EdLoy.png

Looks like the iPhone is (unsurprisingly) yet again behind in the competition. Although I will give them a whole hearted thumbs up for making the first 64-bit CPU for mobile devices, even though no device can take use of it yet (not even the iPhone 5S). Thoughts on the specs of the iPhone 5S?

(Also I would just like to point out that RAM isn't stated in the specs comparison. We all know that the GS4 and One have 2GB of RAM, so let's just assume that if Apple was being super edgy they put in 2GB of RAM into the iPhone 5S, if not, then 1GB.)

COMIC SANS

more check marks and bigger numbers don't mean anything

look at the Moto X, it's has "outdated" specs but it has one of the best user experiences of any phone

for me, build quality is a really major factor, but there's no logical way to put that on a chart

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

How did you conclude that the 5s is behind? Because of the missing IR and NFC?

Along with other things, such as limited expandability, screen size/density, and its "new" OS (iOS 7), etc. If you feel the need for a fingerprint scanner, larger Apple App Store,and larger case selection, go ahead and get the iPhone 5S, other than that, I see no other reason to go for the iPhone 5S.

lol. I love how people say that the iphone is behind. The a6 is probably the best performing cpu per core. The a7 just adds to that. in my opinion, apple has the best Soc anyone does right now. The snapdragon 800 might be able to compete with it though

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

nobody really cares about spec sheets anymore

it's all about tastes, these sensationalists comparisons are irrelevant.

I would tend to disagree.... everyone has different usage scenarios and therefore will favor different phones depending on RAM (multitasking), camera (video and picture quality), audio quality, software, ect.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Along with other things, such as limited expandability, screen size/density, and its "new" OS (iOS 7), etc. If you feel the need for a fingerprint scanner, larger Apple App Store,and larger case selection, go ahead and get the iPhone 5S, other than that, I see no other reason to go for the iPhone 5S.

It's only really the S4 that have "limited expandability" Both the iPhone 5s and the HTC One can't be expanded. Screen size is personal prefference, IOS is personal prefference.

Maybe one could say the iPhone have its strong points while the others have their.

most people are overlooking the M7 chip on the new iPhone tho, if you can read between the lines... it's designed for the iWatch

also NFC is irrelevant because if you take a look at the capabilities of the finger sensor + Bluetooth 4.0, mobile commerce can be done without NFC. Right now they're only allowing it with the iTunes store, but once they get deals with retailers and finance/card companies in place, they can open it up and completely bypass the need for NFC in commerce.

I would tend to disagree.... everyone has different usage scenarios and therefore will favor different phones depending on RAM (multitasking), camera (video and picture quality), audio quality, software, ect.

You can argue IR, screen size or expandability or camera but the conclusions to be made are for each of us individually. Because this is pretty much opinion based, there technically no such thing as the "best phone". I use an iPhone 4S, when I got it I never claimed it was the best, it just worked for me. Something else might work for somebody else.

It's only really the S4 that have "limited expandability" Both the iPhone 5s and the HTC One can't be expanded. Screen size is personal prefference, IOS is personal prefference.

Maybe one could say the iPhone have its strong points while the others have their.

my point exactly

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

This is what I meant by limited expandability. Some people make the argument that you can expand through external devices/attachments, so I just took the safe route and said, limited instead of none. Also, I was just throwing out ideas of how the OP deemed the S4 and HTC One to be superior to the iPhone 5S by stating a couple of my own opinions since you were asking how the OP concluded that the 5S was behind. Phones do come to personal preference, and the OP obviously cares more about certain features that the iPhone 5S lacks, than the other unique features that the iPhone 5S offers such as the larger App Store, Siri, fingerprint sensor, iOS 7, and others.

I am not disagreeing with you. The iPhone 5S does have its strong points, and the others have theirs. This is why I said, "If you feel the need for a fingerprint scanner, larger Apple App Store, and larger case selection, go ahead and get the iPhone 5S, other than that, I see no other reason to go for the iPhone 5S.".

Also, note how I said "I see no reason", this is referring to my own opinion, not necessarily what I want others to do blindly. Use your common sense and set your priorities straight when getting a new phone. Obviously, if you've used iOS your whole life, now probably isn't the time to switch to Android, and vice versa.

I must add something to the conversation, try comparing the specs sheet from two or three years ago. At the time apple was way above all its competitors, not the case anymore...

I must add something to the conversation, try comparing the specs sheet from two or three years ago. At the time apple was way above all its competitors, not the case anymore...

Not necessarily true. The Nexus one was released 3 years ago, and was way ahead of any phone at the time, including the iPhone that launched the same year.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

i wish if these threads die is a fire

its pointless

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Gonna say, if you've already got 2-300 dollars of stuff on iTunes, apple products are just easier.

The fingerprint scanner is more than a gimmick. This is something id like to see standard on all phones.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Even though I do love to look at specs they don't really matter it's about the experience of the phone not what it's made of for me, but still I like comparing specs anyways xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Gonna say, if you've already got 2-300 dollars of stuff on iTunes, apple products are just easier.

The fingerprint scanner is more than a gimmick. This is something id like to see standard on all phones.

it's a gimmick now, but it will be something nice for e-wallet in a year or 2

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Funny how the gs4 has the most megapixels, but takes the crappiest picture.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

This is what I meant by limited expandability. Some people make the argument that you can expand through external devices/attachments, so I just took the safe route and said, limited instead of none. Also, I was just throwing out ideas of how the OP deemed the S4 and HTC One to be superior to the iPhone 5S by stating a couple of my own opinions since you were asking how the OP concluded that the 5S was behind. Phones do come to personal preference, and the OP obviously cares more about certain features that the iPhone 5S lacks, than the other unique features that the iPhone 5S offers such as the larger App Store, Siri, fingerprint sensor, iOS 7, and others.

I am not disagreeing with you. The iPhone 5S does have its strong points, and the others have theirs. This is why I said, "If you feel the need for a fingerprint scanner, larger Apple App Store, and larger case selection, go ahead and get the iPhone 5S, other than that, I see no other reason to go for the iPhone 5S.".

Also, note how I said "I see no reason", this is referring to my own opinion, not necessarily what I want others to do blindly. Use your common sense and set your priorities straight when getting a new phone. Obviously, if you've used iOS your whole life, now probably isn't the time to switch to Android, and vice versa.

Sorry mate, didn't mean it like that. My point just was, that OP's statement was very biased. :)

Apple is all about how the hardware works, not how it compares on a spec sheet. As far as the screen size goes, the ppi counts of the HTC and Samsung are just stupid high, I wouldn't want that high a ppi if i could have lower and better battery. I suspect the reason why they've gone that far is because people are sheep and think that because something says HD or 1080p it must be good. Those standards are only good for TV. Back to the screen. IMO the 4,7" on my One X is too big. It's actually to the point where the screen size makes typing harder again compared to smaller screens. 

The NFC-bit would be a shame if it was actually used by anyone, that's no excuse for Apple to drop it, but at least it's not a great loss. Then again, if Apple were to implement it, we would probably see it pop up everywhere (for some reason, only the tech adopted by apple is suitable for widespread use in services)

Processing power: Well, two completely different systems, performance would be incomparable. 

Reasons why I might want an iphone: it's smaller and lighter than others, It has a minijack at the bottom (the correct place for it). If we only compare it to the S4, it also has a premium build quality. Basically, I would want an iphone for the hardware (and some of the apps)

Reasons why I wouldn't want an iphone: Android

most people are overlooking the M7 chip on the new iPhone tho, if you can read between the lines... it's designed for the iWatch

also NFC is irrelevant because if you take a look at the capabilities of the finger sensor + Bluetooth 4.0, mobile commerce can be done without NFC. Right now they're only allowing it with the iTunes store, but once they get deals with retailers and finance/card companies in place, they can open it up and completely bypass the need for NFC in commerce.

You can argue IR, screen size or expandability or camera but the conclusions to be made are for each of us individually. Because this is pretty much opinion based, there technically no such thing as the "best phone". I use an iPhone 4S, when I got it I never claimed it was the best, it just worked for me. Something else might work for somebody else.

my point exactly

people use the spec sheet to see what the phone has of what they need..... I dont even know what you were arguing.....

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

people use the spec sheet to see what the phone has of what they need..... I dont even know what you were arguing.....

the biggest problem with spec sheets is that there are intangibles that aren't on there

only the uninformed or ignorant put real serious emphasis on it

you can't compare apples and oranges. these things are built differently and work differently.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

the biggest problem with spec sheets is that there are intangibles that aren't on there

only the uninformed or ignorant put real serious emphasis on it

you can't compare apples and oranges. these things are built differently and work differently.

the spec sheet is an outline and a gives a general idea of how the device will operate...