locking pc case, power button child proof ?

JYoung

Was curious if anyone new of an windowed pc case with a good design for water cooling that has locking access to the power and reset buttons?, I plan on moving my current system to this case.

Hopefully something eatx compatible for future proofing and upgrades .

I've been looking the past week but have found slim options that were unreasonable.

You could always unplug the connectors on the motherboard and then (if your motherboard has buttons like an Asus ROG board) you could power it on by pressing them directly on the motherboard. Downside you'd need to open the side panel each time but it should be child proof.

If that's too much effort there should be cases with doors but most of the ones I've seen don't look too good. Antec has a case with a door if I recall correctly but like I mentioned it's not really a nice case.

There probably is no case like this because nobody else needs that kinda feature but can't you just have  the power buttons like on the top of the case where the kids wouldn't reach?

Bitfenix Colossus, you can lock the home/reset/usb buttons with a kind of a cover at the top, and it supports EATX and watercooling, although it's ugly.

1 minute ago, xHadrian said:

Bitfenix Colossus, you can lock the home/reset/usb buttons with a kind of a cover at the top, and it supports EATX and watercooling, although it's ugly.

Is it really that ugly?

2 minutes ago, Sir_Chicken said:

Is it really that ugly?

For me, yes. I was forced to get it as there was no other options, I'm now getting a H440.

However, it's uglier in image than in-person, and its build quality is poor. It says you could fit a 240 rad in it, but I couldn't, unless I modded it here and there.

Yes, my children are 1 & 3 and like to climb and I don't want them pressing the power button repeatedly while I'm at work when they sneak away from mom, I've already had to rollback twice and recover.

In windows 10, you goto Settings > System >Power and Sleep > Additional power settings 

There's on option on the left 'Choose what the power buttons do' 

Select an option that works for you.

I've been trying to find something similar, but to protect my rig in my dorm room. I'm considering building a mini-itx rig and putting it in a lockbox with fans in it. Not the most secure for theft deterrence, but it should deter young children and post party roomates from messing with it. You could do the same with an open air build and a nice homemade plywood or even fiberglass box for your purposes.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

25 minutes ago, Sir_Chicken said:

There probably is no case like this because nobody else needs that kinda feature but can't you just have  the power buttons like on the top of the case where the kids wouldn't reach?

6 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I've been trying to find something similar, but to protect my rig in my dorm room. I'm considering building a mini-itx rig and putting it in a lockbox with fans in it. Not the most secure for theft deterrence, but it should deter young children and post party roomates from messing with it. You could do the same with an open air build and a nice homemade plywood or even fiberglass box for your purposes.

I've actually considered a locking server cabinet and just rack mounting it in a 22u, but lack the space atm, even considered mounting the components open air to some acrylic to the ceiling lol

I bet I could draw up a box in cad real quick. I'm thinking it could be big enough to hold an EATX build in an open air case. It would be quite simple and have good airflow, and if built right could look as nice as any home audio subwoofer cabinet. Something like a box with a lockable like that would have about the same volume as a full size case.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

I bet I could draw up a box in cad real quick. I'm thinking it could be big enough to hold an EATX build in an open air case. It would be quite simple and have good airflow, and if built right could look as nice as any home audio subwoofer cabinet. Something like a box with a lockable like that would have about the same volume as a full size case.

I'm considering modifying this build with acrylic Windows and a lock, maybe stick the pc on a test bench and sliding shelf.

http://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/2014/02/diy-rack-server-plans.html?m=1

Considered buying one of these: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Motherboard-Computer-Switch-Button/dp/B009CWY8PA?tag=linustechtips-20

You can disconnect your case button and plug this in, then extend the wire and run it to the top of your desk where they cannot reach it. :)

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

41 minutes ago, tommy-b-10 said:

Considered buying one of these: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Motherboard-Computer-Switch-Button/dp/B009CWY8PA?tag=linustechtips-20

You can disconnect your case button and plug this in, then extend the wire and run it to the top of your desk where they cannot reach it. :)

I would but my 3yo has climbed the desk several times, that also got me thinking about his fondness for unplugging things >.<;

Looks like I'll have to build the cabinet to house the backup psu also so it can auto shutdown if he does.

Sorry for the run around guys, the discussions though helped me better think things through when I consider everyone's input.

Needed a catalyst for the thought process after pulling 6 weeks of 7 day 12 hour shifts.