Asus X99-E WS and 7x GPUs?

Hello

Has anyone perhaps running 7 GPUs on Asus X99-E WS botherboard? I try to build myself a render PC for Octane Render and Blender Cycles with some up to date components (and for occassional gaming aswell). I've used 6x GTX580 for some simple rendering but in complicated scenes I run out of memory and have to rely on CPU rendering which is unsatisfactory to say the least, therefore I was hoping for a system with 7 Titan X (yes I know 980Ti offers similar power for price that's lower twice, it also has twice less the memory which is the driving selling point behind this upgrade) or it's Pascal successor.

I've figured that X99-E WS/USB3.1 would be great purchase given overall features of the board (with possibility to install 10 core Broadwell-E in the future if needed) but someone at overclockers forum couldn't get 7 GPUs to work - it topped out at 5 without any relevant info of what might be an issue. Now that was when board still had old BIOS as it was arround 2014 but I can't see any confirmation or denial whether issue is resolved today or not. I really don't want to buy Z10PE-D8 WS since I don't do any CPU-heavy work (with Titan's 12GB of memory I should be good to go) and even then Linus mentioned there was an issue with system to post with all GPUs connected.

Can anyone definitely confirm or deny whether 7 GPU setup is finally possible with X99-E WS or not?

Cheers,

Marrond

7 Quadros = maybe (cause they only took one slot)

7 Titan Xs = impossible

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

2 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

good luck finding someone on the forum that has even plugged 7 GPUs into any system at all LOL

I was silently hoping for someone from Linus team to maybe give a hint what was wrong with their build on Z10PE-D8 WS as system also didn't want to post with all GPUs connected, yet they somehow worked arround that issue with Asus.

7 Titan Xs = impossible

This isn't an issue with PCI-E risers in my custom frame. That said I plan to LQ it - especially convienient since EK released 7-GPU FC terminal not so long ago.

1 minute ago, Marrond said:

I was silently hoping for someone from Linus team to maybe give a hint what was wrong with their build on Z10PE-D8 WS as system also didn't want to post with all GPUs connected, yet they somehow worked arround that issue with Asus.

I believe they got a custom bios from ASUS and I also believe they said it would be available to download sometime soon.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

3 minutes ago, Marrond said:

This isn't an issue with PCI-E risers in my custom frame. That said I plan to LQ it - especially convienient since EK released 7-GPU FC terminal not so long ago.

Then I really don't know, never see anyone having 7 Titan Xs in a rig before, maybe you should ask nvidia?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

2 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

Then I really don't know, never see anyone having 7 Titan Xs in a rig before, maybe you should ask NVidia for a multi-buy discount?

Went ahead and fixed that post for you :)

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

7 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

7 Titan Xs = impossible

7 titans = Possible, single titan slot mod bro :P

I would definately wait for pascal if you plan to spend this much. You should be able to get the same performance or close to 7 titan x's on 4 next gen cards and a lot of memory (I would guess that go for a 16gb top tier card, and 32 on quadros). Maybe just buy one for now and upgrade to a 4x setup later. 4x is a lot more supported than 7x too, so you shouldn't have the problem you are having now.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

15 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

I would definately wait for pascal if you plan to spend this much. You should be able to get the same performance or close to 7 titan x's on 4 next gen cards and a lot of memory (I would guess that go for a 16gb top tier card, and 32 on quadros). Maybe just buy one for now and upgrade to a 4x setup later. 4x is a lot more supported than 7x too, so you shouldn't have the problem you are having now.

It really depends on the pricing. Titan X is surprisingly viable with it's price tag (800 GBP per card) as opposing to Quadro solutions and with release of Pascal, if performance gain in rendering will be big enough to justify extra $ spent then I will go with it. Or if they indeed to crazy with memory available. Or maybe they will release Titan X2 (Titan Z made out of 2 Titan X) which will be probably better bang for the buck if price doesn't kill it ;) Needless to say I hold onto my wallet until I'm sure motherboard will work with it. 

edit:

OR there might be a twist to the story and with new versions of Blender and Octane Render OpenCL might be a way to go instead of CUDA (290x/390x already beats Titan X in Blender, but support for OpenCL is incomplete and some features aren't there yet, Octane announced OpenCL support in next major update 3.0) with upcomming Polaris GPUs if memory will be up to standards aswell.

Just now, Marrond said:

It really depends on the pricing. Titan X is surprisingly viable with it's price tag (800 GBP per card) as opposing to Quadro solutions and with release of Pascal, if performance gain in rendering will be big enough to justify extra $ spent then I will go with it. Or if they indeed to crazy with memory available. Or maybe they will release Titan X2 (Titan Z made out of 2 Titan X) which will be probably better bang for the buck if price doesn't kill it ;) Needless to say I hold onto my wallet until I'm sure motherboard will work with it. 

Pascal is going to 16nm and HBM which is why I say performance and memory will be great. The current top end card (consumer side) has 12gb. It seems almost unthinkable that they would go lower than that, and 16gb seems a reasonable step up. The k80 with 24gb VRAM is the current actually top tier card for you, and by the same reasoning it probably won't go lower on VRAM. HBM gen 2 is limited to 32gb IIRC, so that seems likely where that would land. 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

1 hour ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Pascal is going to 16nm and HBM which is why I say performance and memory will be great. The current top end card (consumer side) has 12gb. It seems almost unthinkable that they would go lower than that, and 16gb seems a reasonable step up. The k80 with 24gb VRAM is the current actually top tier card for you, and by the same reasoning it probably won't go lower on VRAM. HBM gen 2 is limited to 32gb IIRC, so that seems likely where that would land. 

K80 is 2x Keplers GK210 = it's 12GB VRAM per chip. Memory doesn't stack.

2 hours ago, Marrond said:

K80 is 2x Keplers GK210 = it's 12GB VRAM per chip. Memory doesn't stack.

Oh, it's a dual GPU card? Professional tech isn't really my area of expertise because I will probably never need it, so sorry about that. In that case, 16gb seems reasonable to expect.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 25/02/2016 at 5:04 PM, Marrond said:

Hello

Has anyone perhaps running 7 GPUs on Asus X99-E WS botherboard? I try to build myself a render PC for Octane Render and Blender Cycles with some up to date components (and for occassional gaming aswell). I've used 6x GTX580 for some simple rendering but in complicated scenes I run out of memory and have to rely on CPU rendering which is unsatisfactory to say the least, therefore I was hoping for a system with 7 Titan X (yes I know 980Ti offers similar power for price that's lower twice, it also has twice less the memory which is the driving selling point behind this upgrade) or it's Pascal successor.

I've figured that X99-E WS/USB3.1 would be great purchase given overall features of the board (with possibility to install 10 core Broadwell-E in the future if needed) but someone at overclockers forum couldn't get 7 GPUs to work - it topped out at 5 without any relevant info of what might be an issue. Now that was when board still had old BIOS as it was arround 2014 but I can't see any confirmation or denial whether issue is resolved today or not. I really don't want to buy Z10PE-D8 WS since I don't do any CPU-heavy work (with Titan's 12GB of memory I should be good to go) and even then Linus mentioned there was an issue with system to post with all GPUs connected.

Can anyone definitely confirm or deny whether 7 GPU setup is finally possible with X99-E WS or not?

Cheers,

Marrond

Hi Marrond,

I'm in exactly the same boat (I too have an X99-E WS) and wish to do the same.

How did you get on ?

(I've currently got 4 x 1080ti's but would like to add 3 more cards to get the full benefit for 3d renderings with V-Ray).

Thanks

• 8 months later...

hi, is this question solved? ive got myself into the same position, instead 750 i have 5x 780ti and one 780 ... and no luck , with the same motherboard?