PlayStation VR "60% Faster than Equivalent Specced PC"

DocSwag

Compared to what kind of PC? A low-end one with a 1.6GHz APU? Yeah, no shit it's faster, with that external processing unit and all.

Hmm, well, driver overhead and optimization should always be improved for sure. Hopefully we see that in near future.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Think they forgot to add in some fine print: "Will also be 60% more expensive than other VR headsets". 

They do make a point.. Its easier to develop a VR game for Consoles because every console is the same.

And a similar spec PC would be slower than a purpose built console with a purpose built OS

But my 980Ti will fuck your console up :)

clever wording, the console specs dont change but you need the external processor onboard of the ps vr for it to work.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

LOL that's the most retarded thing I have ever heard. PS4 games have been optimized for 36 million also and my GTX 970 more than doubles the PS4 framerate at often higher resolutions with much more eye candy turned on.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

So PS VR comes with a graphics card?

Yup, the base PS4 is too weak so it has its own CPU and GPU.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Oh wow, I thought they were going to try to run it on those shit Jaguar quadcores + 7850

8 hours ago, Ronnie76 said:

So, a 8 core clocked at 1.6GHz

or a 4 core at 3.2GHz 

and its also AMD so drop about 30% performance and its about equal to the original haswell 

Something like that.

8 Jaguar cores at 1.6GHz is not equal to a Haswell quad core, assuming that's what you mean. Not even close. Jaguar is AMDs low-performance, low-power architecture. Everyone knows Intel Atom sucks, well this is "AMD Atom."

6 hours ago, Daring said:

Compared to what kind of PC? A low-end one with a 1.6GHz APU? Yeah, no shit it's faster, with that external processing unit and all.

2 hours ago, brownninja97 said:

clever wording, the console specs dont change but you need the external processor onboard of the ps vr for it to work.

21 minutes ago, Daring said:

18 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Oh wow, I thought they were going to try to run it on those shit Jaguar quadcores + 7850

Guys... that's been debunked. The box is just doing some minor additional processing. It's almost more like the box that came with the Oculus DK1.

The power supply for the PS VR "processing unit" is like 36W. You're not going to run a good CPU and GPU off 36 freaking watts. All the heavy lifting is done by the PS4 itself.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Guys... that's been debunked. The box is just doing some minor additional processing. It's almost more like the box that came with the Oculus DK1.

The power supply for the PS VR "processing unit" is like 36W. You're not going to run a good CPU and GPU off 36 freaking watts. All the heavy lifting is done by the PS4 itself.

Where is your source for this? The last official Sony release on the matter indicated that the box does do external processing and contains its own power supply. 

However, despite the active cooling, we shouldn't expect too much from the external processor - core graphics rendering for VR all takes place within the PlayStation 4 hardware itself and it's going to be down to developers to work within existing limitations to get the best results. But from our perspective, the idea of computationally expensive, latency-sensitive tasks being offloaded to the external box is a good one, and should produce a better overall experience. It certainly represents a sizeable investment from Sony - and we can't help but wonder what this may mean for the basic build cost, and by extension how much PlayStation VR will cost at retail.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

The marketing team needs to be fired faster than a blink of an eye !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

17 hours ago, ZetZet said:

kek

17 hours ago, Arty said:

A console is still a computer xD

16 hours ago, Cpt Buzzkill said:

HAHAAHHA ohh boy... thanks for a good laugh. still keking.

Top Kek

Kappa

Sony stahp

%5BHorribleSubs%5D_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_14_%

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

"Look, our shitty VR Headset has 2,5 times less pixel than the vive but it runs only 60% faster."

Sony fully derped out this one.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Top kek 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

2 hours ago, FloRolf said:

"Look, our shitty VR Headset has 2,5 times less pixel than the vive but it runs only 60% faster."

Sony fully derped out this one.

I think you misspelled 25% less 

Vive is only 1200p in 16:9 

PSVR is 1080p in 16:9

But the other big thing is as you go toward higher framerates it's higher overhead that becomes an issue 

Metro Developer Oles Shishkovstov on DX11 Vs PS4 API

"On PS4, most GPU commands are just a few DWORDs written into the command buffer, let's say just a few CPU clock cycles. On Xbox One it easily could be one million times slower because of all the bookkeeping the API does. Let's put it that way - we have seen scenarios where a single CPU core was fully loaded just by issuing draw-calls on Xbox One. "

When trying to reach 60, 90, or 120 FPS, this draw call over head is a massive disadvantage to DX11 systems. 4A is talking about Metro LL taking nearly 16ms for draw calls, if that's happening 120fps is impossible unless you double cpu speed, or get an API that handles those draw calls more  effectively. 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

10 hours ago, Davehaslanded said:

Where is your source for this? The last official Sony release on the matter indicated that the box does do external processing and contains its own power supply. 

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

That article explains that the "processing unit" has a 12V, 3A power supply, ie. 36W. They go on to explain some of the ancillary functions that the box actually performs, rather than the actual rendering workload that it's obviously incapable of.

One of its known functions is to create the social screen via its HDMI output. This allows gameplay to display on an HDTV for others to watch and participate in while the main player is immersed in the VR environment.

Other articles have also indicated that it is involved in 3D audio processing.

17 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

I think you misspelled 25% less 

Vive is only 1200p in 16:9 

PSVR is 1080p in 16:9

20% less.

1920x1080 divided by 2160x1200 is 0.8.

23 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Playstation VR = 60% faster than an equivalent potato ?

More like

Playstation VR = 60% faster than equivalent toaster.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

An APU 60% faster than equivalent specced PC...? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280