PlayStation VR "60% Faster than Equivalent Specced PC"

DocSwag

Source: http://wccftech.com/ps-vr-presentation-console-effectively-60-powerful-equally-specced-pc/

In a recent presentation, Sony talked about the PSVR.

When talking about it, they said that the PlayStation VR is 60% faster than an equivalent specced PC.

psvr

And if you ask me, this makes perfect sense.

Why? Because millions of people own a PS4, developers will optimize specifically for its hardware since they only need to optimize for 1, and it "optimizes for 36 million."

Are their any PC GPUs that have over 30 million of them sold? I don't think so. Even if the GTX 970 makes up around 5% or whatever it is of all steam gamers, there are only around 125 million steam gamers, and so that would mean about 6.5 million gtx 970s. That's only 1/5th of the number of PS4s.

PSVR is extremely close to being on par with Vive and the Rift w/ a gtx970 based on the tests I’ve done. The team from Epic (Nick & Tom) have also stated the same in at least one of their VR Twitch streams. If your app runs at 90Hz on a PC with a gtx970 then you should be very close to 60 on the ps4. And with the 120Hz reprojection applied it’s glassy smooth.

Yes, I do! In brief, the PSVR only requires about 1/4th of the render target size that the Vive requires. This has a lot to do with the display they are using that can run a 60Hz game at 120Hz (in addition to the 90Hz mode). So comparing the PSVR at 60Hz>120Hz to the Vive at 90Hz:

Vive = 457 million pixels/sec (1512x1680x2x90)

PSVR = ~100 million (1920x1080x60 – ~20%*)

*The ~20% is accounting for some additional (classified) techniques that further reduce the render target size.

There are other things to consider as well, if you want to go further. For example, the PS4 has hardly any driver overhead compared to Windows so it’s a fully dedicated gaming system that can focus purely on performance. For example, the draw calls on the PS4 are faster than with dx11 which is something that a lot of people don’t realize.

They have also started beefing up their small conversion box unit with processing power to help do some heavy lifting.

According to this VR developer, PSVR is a lot closer to a gtx 970 than a PS4 specced PC system would be.

This is a combo of better optimization as well as less driver overhead (remember, PS4s don't need as much driver overhead as Windows).

Does this mean you should get PSVR and a PS4? No. PSVR still can't quite get 90hz. It only reaches 60 hz. Reprojecting isn't always as good as getting real frames, and with Polaris and Pascal coming you can probably get a gtx 970/r9 290 equivalent for much cheaper.

However, if you already own a PS4 and you want virtual reality, perhaps PSVR is a decent choice. Of course, that is assuming you don't own a good gaming PC. In that case, Rift or Vive is probably a better option.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

kek

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well, I'm getting the Vive for the game Budget Cuts. That shit looks amazing and will never be on console. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

But there are less pixels on the PS one if i read this right. Also they don't need to optimize for the card itself just for Nvidia card in general.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Faster than Equivalent Specced PC

So basicly they claim PS4 VR will be 60% faster than a pc with same component , they are telling the truth imo.

But 60% faster than a crappy computer is still 200% slower than a good pc.

Nothing new then.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

Just now, Atsura said:

Faster than Equivalent Specced PC

So basicly they claim PS4 VR will be 60% faster than a pc with same component , they are telling the truth imo.

But 60% faster than a crappy computer is stiff 200% slower than a good pc.

Nothing new then.

Something about "i can't even underclock my PC to the specs of a this gen console."

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Playstation VR = 60% faster than an equivalent potato ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

10 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Well, I'm getting the Vive for the game Budget Cuts. That shit looks amazing and will never be on console. 

You have seen the games of PS-VR?

Tell me where you hid that time machine...

Marketing BS at it's finest... Just laugh and move on. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Well it's true.

A PC running an AMD APU clocked at 1.6GHz is gonna be slower at virtual reality.

PlayStation VR is 60% faster than an equivalent specced PC

So, a 8 core clocked at 1.6GHz

or a 4 core at 3.2GHz 

and its also AMD so drop about 30% performance and its about equal to the original haswell 

Something like that.

4 minutes ago, WarWeeny said:

You have seen the games of PS-VR?

Tell me where you hid that time machine...

I've seen them. But nothing beats the immersion of being able to walk around. Budget cuts is the first game I've seen that very properly does it. The fact that you can put your back to a virtual wall and lean around a corner is amazing. And you can explore a huge office with very efficient ways of moving. It's so natural.  

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

At first they scream that human eye can't see past 30 fps and now they expect to run games at 90? Lol

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

it's interesting the cultural difference between PC gaming and console gaming.

on that slide they have you touted things like 'every PS4 is the same', 'everyone has the same controllers'. I know the point they are making but still..

on PC the diversity is viewed as a positive where everybody has a different rig and chooses different controllers / peripherals.

Hmm, so basically  60fps + interpolation. I can dig it, especially for the lower price. Will probably get it, albeit not at launch.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 hours ago, NTF5252 said:

Something about "i can't even underclock my PC to the specs of a this gen console."

In one particular game , and ignoring cpu speed they did that 

I feel it would be a little different in something like star wars battlefront 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

2 hours ago, mikat said:

shit*160% = still shit

inb4 hurr durr stupid pcmasterrace fanboy hurr durr

perfrel_1920_1080.png

Well 31% * 1.6=49%

That puts it between 280X and 780

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R