DX12: Say Goodbye to Red vs Green?

Omon_Ra
10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I saw some tests on this a while back and iirc some odd things were true.  Like for one, the order mattered (980 ti + fury x performed different than fury x + 980 ti) and (again iirc) mixed brand setups (or at least one of them ) beat everything else, even dual 980 tis ... I really have to find that report again and make sure though :D

Ah, OK I did some digging because this was bothering me (since clearly there are still some people I wanted to see this :) like below)

14 minutes ago, SamStrecker said:

I mean cool but really if say a 980 is better then a whatever on the AMD side wouldn't you just get 2 980s? The technology is cool and probably has some great benefits but I would get 2 980tis rather then a 980ti and a fury x

So this was a test from before the recent news (Oct last year) and I think it's pretty interesting.  Here we can see two strange things:

1 - The order of cards matters

The Fury X + 980 Ti is faster than a 980 Ti + Fury X.  This seems to show something about how this technology works; my interpretation is there is kind of a "primary" and "secondary" card and which one is in the lead can help (or hurt) the setup.

2 - A mixed setup is better than all one company

Notice the 980 Ti + Titan X setup (which for all intents and purposes is basically 2x 980 Ti SLI) and how it is worse than both mixed-vendor setups.  Now, the obvious explanation is that "oh, that means the 980 ti is the weaker card, and it's dragging down the Fury X in both cases.  Two Fury Xs should beat the mixed setup".  But then how do you explain 1 980 Ti beating 1 Fury X? (see below)

78164.png

I just find these results very strange, and would welcome any alternate impressions/interpretations, especially in light of the recent news (in the OP) :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah, OK I did some digging because this was bothering me (since clearly there are still some people I wanted to see this :) like below)

So this was a test from before the recent news (Oct last year) and I think it's pretty interesting.  Here we can see two strange things:

1 - The order of cards matters

The Fury X + 980 Ti is faster than a 980 Ti + Fury X.  This seems to show something about how this technology works; my interpretation is there is kind of a "primary" and "secondary" card and which one is in the lead can help (or hurt) the setup.

2 - A mixed setup is better than all one company

Notice the 980 Ti + Titan X setup (which for all intents and purposes is basically 2x 980 Ti SLI) and how it is worse than both mixed-vendor setups.  Now, the obvious explanation is that "oh, that means the 980 ti is the weaker card, and it's dragging down the Fury X in both cases.  Two Fury Xs should beat the mixed setup".  But then how do you explain 1 980 Ti beating 1 Fury X? (see below)

78164.png

I just find these results very strange, and would welcome any alternate impressions/interpretations, especially in light of the recent news (in the OP) :) 

It's possible it has something to do with AMD already using bridgeless crossfire, which may give AMD an advantage in drivers, and delegating workloads more appropriately. AMD also handles scheduling in the GPU, while Nvidia handles scheduling entirely in software drivers. We've seen that Nvidia suffers a horrible latency penalty in VR because of this, so its possible that work isn't always being delegated to the AMD card in a timely manner when Nvidia is the primary card.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

12 hours ago, Centurius said:

This is either going to be great or flop. I so hope it'll be the former.

It all boils down to game developer adoptions. I hope all of them embraces the future that is now.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

5 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

It all boils down to game developer adoptions. I hope all of them embraces the future that is now.

Yeah pretty much, though I fear for many it may be too complicated to bother with.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I saw some tests on this a while back and iirc some odd things were true.  Like for one, the order mattered (980 ti + fury x performed different than fury x + 980 ti) and (again iirc) mixed brand setups (or at least one of them ) beat everything else, even dual 980 tis ... I really have to find that report again and make sure though :D

That's cause Amd has better 12 support

The real crazy thing is that multi-adapter performs better than sli or crossfire, in frame rate and frame times. 

12 hours ago, dragosudeki said:

Doubt anyone is going to buy cards from both vendors (or completely different cards from same vendor) knowing that the number of DX 12 games (right now) is small, and the number of DX 12 games that use Explicit Multi GPU will be much more smaller than that.

This isn't for the people who buy 2 GPUs at once, this would be for someone like me who will ( hopefully ) have a 290x and say later down the road I get a nvidia GPU, I can add them together and maybe it say wouldn't be as good as 2x 1070s but at least I would be getting the most out of my PC.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Those results are within margin of error. doesn't seem to mind which is the primary cars...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

16 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

A 960 and 970 should already work as they are the same GPU die.

Nvidia just doesn't allow it, unlike AMD who let you Crossfire a 290 and a 290x, or a 7970 and a 7950 and a 280x.

Nvidia = Apple

BTW guys, now is the time to buy used HD 7990s and GTX 690s

Due to how those two cards are made. Just dont. The 6990 and 7990 uses on-pcb cf/sli bridges. The result is that they stutter like fucking crazy.

Titan Z uses onboard sli bridge too, but it is so severely underclocked it aint worth it.

The only real choice is a 980ti + fury x. Anything else is a waste of time and money

22 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

A 960 and 970 should already work as they are the same GPU die.

Nvidia just doesn't allow it, unlike AMD who let you Crossfire a 290 and a 290x, or a 7970 and a 7950 and a 280x.

Nvidia = Apple

BTW guys, now is the time to buy used HD 7990s and GTX 690s

They are actually 2 different dies.GTX 960 is GM206 and GTX 970 is GM204. SO what you said wouldn't work and no Nvidia is != to Apple.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They are actually 2 different dies.GTX 960 is GM206 and GTX 970 is GM204. SO what you said wouldn't work and no Nvidia is != to Apple.

Dude

21 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Whoops, I mixed up: the GTX 760 and 770 were what was going through my head as I posted, not the 960 and 970.

But they still don't allow a 760 and a 770 to be SLi'd and so Nvidia = Apple.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Dude

But they still don't allow a 760 and a 770 to be SLi'd and so Nvidia = Apple.

Sorry for being a nerd who likes graphics cards :(

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

• 2 weeks later...

But they didn't test 2 amd cards. why?

Is it actually limited to 2 cards, or does it support more than that?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

22 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

(Don't quote me on any of this since I may not be 100% correct but I believe there is a decent chance I am :))

That's the other cool thing about this - not only does it allow for mixed manufacturers, but gone are the 4 card limit of crossfire and SLI.  In theory, this can take advantage of as many cards are in the system! :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

28 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Don't know. But I would suspect it depends on the game, as DX 12 is low level, it needs more work done by the developers to do things. So performance is really game specific, and how multi-card works is all depending on the game. We need more games (and more documentation) to know more about it.

On 2/25/2016 at 0:02 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's why I worry about the whole concept of DX12 and Vulkan as well to be honest.  The idea is to give developers more low level control - more power if you will - so they can do exactly what they want an squeeze more performance out of the cards.  But if history can tell us anything, it's that most developers have a terrible track record of failing to implement or poorly implementing things like SLI/crossfire, or even general game optimization, so I'm not sure how anyone expects them to handle this and make things better.  It's like going up to a baby that can't walk and saying "OK, no rules - now you can run a marathon right?"

It will rather be the real programmers who will implement it into some game engine that would then be used by game developers. Let's just admit it , game developers are not the best programmers.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

(Don't quote me on any of this since I may not be 100% correct but I believe there is a decent chance I am :))

That's the other cool thing about this - not only does it allow for mixed manufacturers, but gone are the 4 card limit of crossfire and SLI.  In theory, this can take advantage of as many cards are in the system! :D

Good, tell linus to rebuild 7 gamers 1 cpu. :D

I want to see 7-gpu fury nano benchmarks!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

17 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Good, tell linus to rebuild 7 gamers 1 cpu. :D

I want to see 7-gpu fury nano benchmarks!

But that would make it a 1 cpu, 7 gpu, 1 gamer build :P

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

2 hours ago, GidonsClaw said:

But that would make it a 1 cpu, 7 gpu, 1 gamer build :P

1 super hardcore gamer - triple 3440 x 1440 144 hz 3D surround :D 

Looking at this again, Crossfire+SLI=rekt by DX12, just like my laptop with its primary HD4250 and secondary HD5650.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 5:32 AM, samcool55 said:

the Vulkan and DX12 APIs are explicit enough to allow for any number of GPUs, or for sharing the load with iGPU etc.

this would be really cool. I already can imagine systems with a bunch of cheap cards doing well lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1