PC VS. Console

Craftsman_2222

So, where to start? PC vs Console. I got in a "civilized" argument about this earlier today, this guy firmly believed XBox was better than PC. He went as far as to say his dad had upgraded the Xbox to get 140 FPS. Can you even upgrade a Xbox to get more than the 30 or 60 FPS(I can't remember if they can go above 30...)? I understand that there are pros and cons to console VS. PC. 

Pros of PC

1) You get to build it and have a better understanding of how computers work and get to personalize it to make it your own.

2) There is more computing power in a PC both GPU wise and CPU wise. I understand that lower end PC's may not have the same computing power of good gaming PC's.

3) You can do more with a PC, not just game. i.e Web browsing, Videos, and just plain functionality.

Cons of PC

1) Require time to build it(maybe not if you buy it from a store)

2) Cost more

3)Larger than a console and a little harder to move

Pros of Console

1) it was pointed out that console was built solely for gaming back in the day.

2) Cheaper

3)Do not require as much time to set up

4) Easier operating

Cons of console

1) Not as much computing power

2) Only operable with one type of controller (people may use keyboards other than QWERTY but, c'mon really?)

3)Lower FPS

4) Lower resolution

5)Can only be hooked up to one display(correct me if i'm wrong)

I'm assuming most of the people reading this agree with me because it is mostly a PC site. Let me know If I missed any pros and cons of these consoles. Also I have seen Linus' video over this so before you link it, although here is the link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYyeas1Thw. Also, yeah sorry if this starts a flame-war...

Watch out behind you!

No, you can't upgrade a console other than a bigger HDD. 

Comparable PC's aren't really more expensive -- the system itself will be a BIT more expensive, but especially once you factor in games and the fact that you don't have to pay $50/year for Xbox Live and it comes out to be MUCH cheaper in the long run. 

PC Pros: 

• Customizable/upgradeable
  • exclusives
  • Games last through multiple generations
  • Don't need to pay $50/year for Xbox/PSN Live
  • Games are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper
  • Doesn't require discs 
  • Far more powerful (if you pay for it) 

Console Pros: 

• Better for playing with friends (split screen on pc is basically non-existent)
  • exclusives
  • Kinect? 
  • Longevity/optimization (a $400 console lasts close to a decade -- a $400 pc does not -- although this generation won't last as long as the last). 
  • A more relaxed feel (a controller on a pc is still different...) 
  • "better" in a living room environment/couch (Steam Big Screen isn't what it should be yet) (basically same as the above)
  • simpler -- plug and play 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm by no means pro-Apple or pro-console but they both have a huge benefit over PCs: The HW and the OS come from the same developer. That makes for near-perfect uniformity of experience and goes a long way to aid in stability and reliability.

PC gamers have this illusion you NEED to pay for ps+ and xblive to play games...where did this start?

I play games on my ps4 just fine without PS+ because online games are rubbish anyway, and i am a singleplayer gamer.

If a game is free-to-play, then you do not even need to play for live or ps+ if it has online functionality.

the earliest i can remember where you can actually upgrade a component in a console was the N64, you could add an extra 4MB of RAM to it.

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

It isn't cheaper to game on a console given the cost of games and online fees.

Also, I've got a $300 ITX PC I put in my living room and shoved my old GPU into it and use it instead of a console. The only downsides are lack of console exclusive titles and inability to play with people on xbone or ps4. It's a small ITX case and I can control everything with my 360 controller, and steam big picture mode is actually fine so long as you're running windows. I even have emulators all the way up to the nintendo Wii with a controller friendly front-end so I never have to pick up a keyboard/mouse even when loading roms. Really, PC wins on all fronts except for specific individual games, playing with your friends on console, and ease of setup.

I can still get all the living room experience of a console for a fraction of the price, backwards compatability, much better performance, and a much larger game library.

Why did you feel the need to open this thread?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

Is that guy 12 or something?

PC might cost "more" initially, but over time it pays itself off if you're a gamer since games are just so much cheaper and go on sale a lot more often than console games.

Also the fact that PC can do more than just play games... A hell of a lot better than what consoles can do in any case.

The PC Master Race reddit has a nice guide for why PC is simply the better choice over consoles and is well worth a read through. (or at least a skim through to the important points)
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide

There's a few things consoles do better, emphasis on "few", and @djdwosk97 pretty much said 'em all. And the ability to resell older games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, ToniBamboni said:

Why did you feel the need to open this thread?

Real heated argument earlier today, wanted to see other people's opinion although this is a PC site

Watch out behind you!

I'd say there's up's and down's for both sides. It's all personal preference on what you want. 

Although some consoles could add "hardware that's not a storage device" but not current gen consoles. 

Most of the time you can build a console like PC around that price but don't expect console titles...

-quoted instead of edited-

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No, you can't upgrade a console other than a bigger HDD. 

Comparable PC's aren't really more expensive -- the system itself will be a BIT more expensive, but especially once you factor in games and the fact that you don't have to pay $50/year for Xbox Live and it comes out to be MUCH cheaper in the long run. 

PC Pros: 

• Customizable/upgradeable
  • Games last through multiple generations
  • Don't need to pay $50/year for Xbox/PSN Live
  • Games are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper
  • Doesn't require discs 
  • Far more powerful (if you pay for it) 

Console Pros: 

• Better for playing with friends (split screen on pc is basically non-existent)
  • exclusives
  • A more relaxed feel (a controller on a pc is still different...) 
  • "better" in a living room environment/couch (Steam Big Screen isn't what it should be yet)
  • simpler -- plug and play 

PC has a lot more exclusives than any console does and unrivaled backwards compatibility.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

4 minutes ago, Centurius said:

PC has a lot more exclusives than any console does and unrivaled backwards compatibility.

PC exclusives generally can run on a potato -- and most people (even those with a console) have a potato to play CSGO/Dota/Minecraft/etc... 

although still valid, added it 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, Craftsman_2222 said:

Real heated argument earlier today, wanted to see other people's opinion although this is a PC site

You're better off going to an XBOX forum instead of a forum full of PC gamers.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

Just now, ToniBamboni said:

You're better off going to an XBOX forum instead of a forum full of PC gamers.

Exactly what I just thought about

Watch out behind you!

17 minutes ago, WarWeeny said:

PC gamers have this illusion you NEED to pay for ps+ and xblive to play games...where did this start?

I play games on my ps4 just fine without PS+ because online games are rubbish anyway, and i am a singleplayer gamer.

If a game is free-to-play, then you do not even need to play for live or ps+ if it has online functionality.

It's not that you have to pay for it to play "any" game, it's that to play online (which is an extremely large market of gaming) you have to pay monthly or yearly. Playing online is free on most pc games unless it's a crappy online pass by the developer, but that would be the same for console.

I just sum things up:

7e4efc6fea51ed9c.gif

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

This is one of those arguments you should just avoid.  Neither side will ever back down, because one side is right and the other side is too stupid to realize they are wrong.  It's ultimately a waste of time for everyone involved.

5 minutes ago, RustyZombie said:

....one side is right and the other side is too stupid to realize they are wrong....

The problem is that both sides are actually right. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The problem is that both sides are actually right. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. 

Name one Advantage of a Console please.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, Praesi said:

See the second post in this thread. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Praesi said:

Cheaper and for the people who just want to play games.

Watch out behind you!

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

See the second post in this thread. 

I disagree with every single Point. Ok..Splitscreens..but serious..who need that?

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I should have been more concise. :)

One is clearly better, generally speaking.  But the other can be better in particular contexts.  My point still stands that this is one of those arguments that is a waste of time for everyone involved, as there are those that won't allow the "discussion" to be that nuanced. :D

4 minutes ago, Craftsman_2222 said:

Cheaper and for the people who just want to play games.

It's only a bit cheaper upfront, but after you factor in the cost of games and LIVE it's the same cost/more expensive than a high end pc.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler