Popular Blu-Ray Ripping Software Shuts Down Following Legal Pressure

RZeroX
2 hours ago, Suicidal Korean said:

Snip

Idk if this is what you mean but my oem blue ray drive had software to play blue rays. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

37 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

I actually buy blu-rays because I like the much better quality (vs streaming or digital download). When I buy a blu-ray I rip the video file, put it on my home server so I can access it from anywhere, and then store the physical disc in a box in my basement. If I lose the ability to rip the video off the disc, that's a HUGE inconvenience for me. I have to go search for the disc every time I want to watch something, I can't watch it if I go somewhere and don't bring it with me, and I risk damaging the disc and never being able to watch it again.

I do the exact same thing.  Every movie is on my NAS, the DVDs and Blu-ray discs are in boxes. 

Perhaps that's the problem.  They WANT us to scratch the disks so we have to buy them again.

Another reason why I rip my blu-rays is because I am sick and tired of watching 5 minutes of copyright notices in 17 languages every time I want to watch a movie or episode of a show. 

Dear <insert movie studio name here>, I've paid for the disc.  Stop bothering me with your definition of piracy under the laws of whatever backwards country your company is located in.

37 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Optical media is still relevant if you want to watch high quality 1080p 5.1/7.1 content. I can distinguish between a native Bluray rip (30GB~) and a high quality encoding that's still 20GB~ let alone the crap Netflix streams.  

You're confusing having it's uses with relevance.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I should have been more clear. The BluRay standard is shit. The companies fought so hard to put insane levels of encryption on BluRays that in the early days it was possible to have a Bluray disc that would NOT play on certain BluRay players. 

It's not that it failed to rip, it through an error and then MakeMKV refused to work -- and when I did a google search for the issue it said something along the lines of you ran into some encryption that locked the software and is preventing it from working (the fix being to reinstall windows). 

Ah, i kind of agree with you there. Drm seems to always be an issue. 

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

If AnyDVD is not available legally anymore, everyone who would have considered buying it will be using a pirated copy now. 

What a win, US Government.  Congratulations, you've achieved NOTHING.

I might go pirate it right now, just so that their effort will have caused more harm than they prevent.

Although I probably won't, because I don't ever rent anything, and rarely buy movies on DVD/Blu-Ray. I stream everything.

Meh

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

If AnyDVD is not available legally anymore, everyone who would have considered buying it will be using a pirated copy now. 

What a win, US Government.  Congratulations, you've achieved NOTHING.

maybe the entire source code will get "accidentally released" if the company does lose the case ;)

that'd solve it for a while I think :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

You're confusing having it's uses with relevance.

I think he used relevance correctly in his statement.

I hate dinosaur (old fucks) copyrights laws. 

2016 and we still pay for multiple views of movies even though we buy a bloody physical disc instead of cinema ticket but we are not allowed to make copies for ourselves. 

This just encourages us to download movies and abuse the shit out of them.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Oh lord, for a heartbeat there I though it was Makemkv. My heart stopped a bit. 

This is still bad though, and idiotic. There is nothing wrong with ripping your legally bought Blu-ray discs. It's a much much better to just store all movies on a PC and view them through Kodi or similar, than having to have the discs easily accessible, and having to go through with waiting for the disk to load, going through menus, etc. 

I hope Slysoft gets out of this, and can "compete" with MakeMKV to support UHD Blu-ray. I would like to be able to just skip buying a UHD Blu-ray player and go straight to ripping them. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

11 hours ago, Suicidal Korean said:

Is their still no free way to watch BD on a pc?

Yep, VLC has a free BD Add On which allows for BD playback inside of VLC. Its far from perfect but it does work with the majority of BD movies out there.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So I'm not allowed to rip my Blurays? BS. I'll do whatever the hell I want with crap that I buy.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

13 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

Exactly. That's the thing people don't understand... All people know is resolution. When you get into higher resolutions, bitrate is SO much more important.

People see 4K Netflix and Youtube and think they're getting 4K content... But really, just putting a 1080p blu-ray on their TV would look better. I know you know, but for those who don't, a 1080p blu-ray is 30-40Mbps... 1080p Netflix and youtube are ~5Mbps, and at 4K they're ~25Mbps...

Well, Netflix uses HEVC for their Ultra HD content which is a coding standard that is designed for UHD. It handles it a lot better than H264/AVC. So you can't just compare bitrates like that. In fact even if it was H264 you couldn't. You say it's about more than just resolution; which is true. Well it's about a heck of a lot more than bitrates too. For example, an encoder using exhaustive search motion compensation can get excellent quality at considerably lower bitrates. It'll just take a very long time to encode. Also, a smart encoder could change quantization parameter on a per macroblock basis depending upon the detail in the macroblock, whereas usually the Qp is set on a per frame basis. There are all sorts of tricks that can be used to get great quality with very low bitrates that just aren't... you just have to balance it with the speed of encoding.

Your phone probably produces relatively high bitrate video but it'll look like dogshit because the encoder has to be optimized to run in real time... so it compromises compression efficiency and quality for speed.

Anyway, from what I have heard the image quality on UHD Netflix is pretty comparable to a 1080p Blu Ray.

UltraHD Blu Ray, though? Now that's another matter. With up to 128Mbps HEVC, you're talking about some insane quality video.

4 hours ago, bobhays said:

I think he used relevance correctly in his statement.

I disagree: most people are quickly moving on to streaming. Yes the quality is worst, no the quality has never been that important for the mainstream crowd consuming entertainment. It's appreciated but it can't compete with the convenience of streaming.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, LukeTim said:

Well, Netflix uses HEVC for their Ultra HD content which is a coding standard that is designed for UHD. It handles it a lot better than H264/AVC. So you can't just compare bitrates like that. In fact even if it was H264 you couldn't. You say it's about more than just resolution. Well it's about a heck of a lot more than bitrates too. For example, an encoder using exhaustive search motion compensation can get excellent quality at considerably lower bitrates. It'll just take a very long time to encode. You could change quantization parameter on a per macroblock basis depending upon the detail in the macroblock. There are all sorts of tricks that can be used to get great quality with very low bitrates that just aren't... you just have to balance it with the speed of encoding.

Your phone probably produces relatively high bitrate video but it'll look like dogshit because the encoder has to be optimized to run in real time... so it compromises compression efficiency and quality for speed.

Anyway, from what I have heard the image quality on UHD Netflix is pretty comparable to a 1080p Blu Ray.

UltraHD Blu Ray, though? Now that's another matter. With up to 128Mbps HEVC, you're talking about some insane quality video.

We should find out this year, I believe the first UHD BD Players are due sometime in the next few months with the first movies coming shortly afterwards. By the time we get to the end of 2016 UHD BD players and movies will be widely available and for the first time since they launched UHD TVs will actually have a use outside of bragging rights.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

We should find out this year, I believe the first UHD BD Players are due sometime in the next few months with the first movies coming shortly afterwards. By the time we get to the end of 2016 UHD BD players and movies will be widely available and for the first time since they launched UHD TVs will actually have a use outside of bragging rights.

Next few months? Try next week. :P

Just now, LukeTim said:

Next few months? Try next week. :P

HA HA, next week is still within the next few months but that's awesome news.

Cant wait for some UHD 4K Movie Action, I remember the first time I ever saw a BD, it was Black Hawk Down and it was incredible, you could see the dirt in the pores of the black guy at the start of he movies face. I was blown away by how clear everything looked. If UHD Movies are even half of the quality change as it was from SD to HD then I'm sold. Will be picking up a UHD TV sometime later this year :D

4 hours ago, LukeTim said:

Well, Netflix uses HEVC for their Ultra HD content which is a coding standard that is designed for UHD. It handles it a lot better than H264/AVC. So you can't just compare bitrates like that. In fact even if it was H264 you couldn't. You say it's about more than just resolution; which is true. Well it's about a heck of a lot more than bitrates too. For example, an encoder using exhaustive search motion compensation can get excellent quality at considerably lower bitrates. It'll just take a very long time to encode. Also, a smart encoder could change quantization parameter on a per macroblock basis depending upon the detail in the macroblock, whereas usually the Qp is set on a per frame basis. There are all sorts of tricks that can be used to get great quality with very low bitrates that just aren't... you just have to balance it with the speed of encoding.

I am aware Netflix uses h.265 for their 4K content, but you can compare bitrates if you know the compression ratio (approx 0.6 vs h.264). Netflix recommends a 25Mbps connection, but the actual video bitrate is more like 15Mbps h.265. 15/0.6~25Mbps h.264

And at no point did I imply all there was to it was bitrate.. I said bitrate is MUCH more important than resolution. Since my comment was directed at people that didn't know there was a difference between YouTube 1080p and blu-ray 1080p, going in to an explanation on different compression techniques probably wasn't worth my time.

3 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

I am aware Netflix uses h.265 for their 4K content, but you can compare bitrates if you know the compression ratio (approx 0.6). Netflix recommends a 25Mbps connection, but the actual video bitrate is more like 15Mbps h.265. 15/0.6~25Mbps h.264

And at no point did I imply all there was to it was bitrate.. I said bitrate is MUCH more important than resolution. Since my comment was directed at people that didn't know there was a difference between YouTube 1080p and blu-ray 1080p, going in to an explanation on different compression techniques probably wasn't worth my time.

Where did you get that from?

You can have the highest bitrate 1080p video you like but it will never contain a lot of the detail in a Netflix UHD stream.

I would say they're both pretty important.

11 minutes ago, LukeTim said:

Where did you get that from?

You can have the highest bitrate 1080p video you like but it will never contain a lot of the detail in a Netflix UHD stream.

I would say they're both pretty important.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/162027-h-265-benchmarked-does-the-next-generation-video-codec-live-up-to-expectations

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/H265-264FileSize.png

40Mbps h.264 1080p video will be more detailed than 15Mbps h.265 video.

This article talks about how House of Cards 4K is 15.6Mbps.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-streaming-201404063713.htm

Just now, -BirdiE- said:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/162027-h-265-benchmarked-does-the-next-generation-video-codec-live-up-to-expectations

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/H265-264FileSize.png

40Mbps h.264 1080p video will be more detailed than 15Mbps h.265 video.

This article talks about how House of Cards 4K is 15.6Mbps.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-streaming-201404063713.htm

It will likely be of greater image quality, yes. It is questionable whether it will be more detailed.

Higher resolution video by definition can resolve more detail. 

You may have some detail being lost in heavier compression, but I think in the case of Netflix they are smart enough to compress and still keep some of the extra detail there.

4 minutes ago, LukeTim said:

It will likely be of greater image quality, yes. It is questionable whether it will be more detailed.

Higher resolution video by definition can resolve more detail. 

You may have some detail being lost in heavier compression, but I think in the case of Netflix they are smart enough to compress and still keep some of the extra detail there.

While technically you're not wrong... In a given subsection of the whole image, a higher resolution could be more detailed than a lower resolution with any bitrate... I'm fairly certain it doesn't really happen to a noticeable degree in practice with current compression techniques..

6 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

While technically you're not wrong... In a given subsection of the whole image, a higher resolution could be more detailed than a lower resolution with any bitrate... I'm fairly certain it doesn't really happen to a noticeable degree in practice with current compression techniques..

To be fair, I have yet to see any Netflix 4K content. So I can't really judge. :P

I just don't think it's impossible for it to be more detailed than a blu ray.

13 hours ago, aerandir92 said:

Oh lord, for a heartbeat there I though it was Makemkv. My heart stopped a bit. 

This is still bad though, and idiotic. There is nothing wrong with ripping your legally bought Blu-ray discs. It's a much much better to just store all movies on a PC and view them through Kodi or similar, than having to have the discs easily accessible, and having to go through with waiting for the disk to load, going through menus, etc. 

I hope Slysoft gets out of this, and can "compete" with MakeMKV to support UHD Blu-ray. I would like to be able to just skip buying a UHD Blu-ray player and go straight to ripping them. 

Yeah man, almost had a minor heart attack...

23 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Another reason why I rip my blu-rays is because I am sick and tired of watching 5 minutes of copyright notices in 17 languages every time I want to watch a movie or episode of a show. 

Or the 10 minutes of previews that you cannot skip for no reason. - Oh boy I get to find out whats coming to theaters in 2006!
Seriously though those things are annoying if you want to quickly show someone 1 scene of a movie, or if you just want to set up a movie for your grandparents (who don't know how to use a DVD menu).
One of the first things my family learned when setting up a DVD for a movie night back in the early 2000s was to start the DVD before you made the popcorn and snacks. Skip forward to a few months ago when we decided to pop in a DVD on Christmas eve, we completely forgot about that rule because rips don't have the previews, or you could just flat out skip things like that.