former California state senator Leland Yee sentenced to 5y in prison

zMeul

source: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/24/california-leland-yee-five-years-prison-bribes-weapons-philippines

who the fuck is Leland Yee and why should I care, you may ask .. good point

well .. he's the one who tried to pass a bill, back in 2010, that would ban sale of "violent" video games; this bill was supported by the former state governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger

more background on that, here: http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/10/argument-preview-kids-and-video-games/

now, let's skip ahead to the present:

A federal judge sentenced former California state senator Leland Yee on Wednesday to five years in prison after he acknowledged accepting thousands of dollars in bribes and discussing helping an undercover FBI agent buy automatic weapons from the Philippines.

Prosecutors had recommended that senior district court judge Charles Breyer impose an eight-year sentence, saying that would reflect the extent of Yee’s crimes.

He pleaded guilty in July to one count of conspiracy to engage in racketeering. The charge was filed as part of an organized crime investigation in San Francisco’s Chinatown that led to charges against more than two dozen people.

He acknowledged accepting $11,000 in exchange for setting up a meeting with another state senator, $10,000 for recommending someone for a grant, and $6,800 for providing a certificate on California state senate letterhead honoring the Ghee Kung Tong.

He also acknowledged that he discussed helping an undercover FBI agent buy automatic weapons from the Philippines that were intended to be brought to the US for distribution.

holy mother of god! this "gun control advocate" tried to buy firearms and shoulder-launched missiles from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, an Islamist extremist group located in the southern Philippines and attempting to re-sell those weapons to an undercover FBI agent

Yee was arrested in 2000  on suspicion of shoplifting suntan oil, and in 1999 he was pulled over twice by police twice who suspected him for soliciting sex workers

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

he's the one who tried to pass a bill, back in 2010, that would ban sale of "violent" video games

What a moron.

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

holy mother of god! this "gun control advocate" tried to buy firearms and shoulder-launched missiles from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, an Islamist extremist group located in the southern Philippines and attempting to re-sell those weapons to an undercover FBI agent

Yee was arrested in 2000  on suspicion of shoplifting suntan oil, and in 1999 he was pulled over twice by police twice who suspected him for soliciting sex workers

Okay, it's worse than I thought. What an absolute cretin.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I wonder if he was inspired by playing Grand Theft Senator...

I hope now he'll realize that people can be violent or criminal without being influenced by games

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

This guy has been fodder for the gun rights movement for a while.

"Sorry, automatic weapons are far too dangerous and evil for law abiding citizens to possess"

"Oh you are a criminal willing to pay me money to acquire these dangerous and evil weapons? Well let's talk business!"

For those who don't remember. Senator Leland Yee was a very vocal critic of video games. As a psychologist turned politician he argued that violence in video games were related to mass school shootings and introduced legislation to ban or otherwise severely regulate video games. 

As reported by the video game press and the mainstream media in the USA....

" During his time in the state Senate, Yee authored legislation that was signed into law preventing the sale or rental of violent video games to minors. That statute was later overturned by the United States Supreme Court for being in conflict with the first amendment.

Yee has been sentenced to five years in prison for a variety of crimes involving illegal arms dealing and for trading his political influence for bribes. The former politician attempted and failed to pass a bill banning the sale of “M” rated video games to anyone under the age of 18 in his home state. Yee faced up to $250,000 in fines plus 20 years for his crimes, but had his sentenced reduced with a plea bargain.

While serving as State Senator, Yee also attempted to arrange an illegal arms trade through the Philippines in exchange for money. FBI officials identified more than $100,000 in bribes directed at Yee during their investigation.

Yee was arrested alongside high-profile gang members of the San Francisco-based Chee Kung Tong triad, who participated in criminal activities with Yee."

Isn't it Ironic...the anti-violent video game senator caught up in ACTUAL violence by running guns and providing assistance to one of the most violent Asian gangs in the Bay Area? 

Various Sources:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/24/california-leland-yee-five-years-prison-bribes-weapons-philippines

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/40317/article/former-anti-video-game-senator-leland-yee-sentenced-to-prison/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/25/ex-calif-state-sen-leeland-yee-gun-control-champion-heading-to-prison-for-weapons-trafficking/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/02/24/former-california-senator-leland-yee-sentenced-to-five-years-in-prison.aspx

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

This is practically cosmic irony. 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

im not even sure how to comprehend this. 

i do know one thing though, the us government works for their own interests, not ours. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Not really surprising, because of the banning of many types of weapons, those few weapons that had permissions are worth many times more, several politicians purchase weapons that are banned in USA, get the right paperwork for them to be legal (another benefit of being part of the government) and then sell them with a massive profit.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

On 2/24/2016 at 4:40 PM, HalGameGuru said:

This guy has been fodder for the gun rights movement for a while.

"Sorry, automatic weapons are far too dangerous and evil for law abiding citizens to possess"

"Oh you are a criminal willing to pay me money to acquire these dangerous and evil weapons? Well let's talk business!"

Operation Fast and Furious anyone?

There are no Democrats, there are no Republicans. There is only them, and the rest of us.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Seriously? Only 8 years for that! 

I'm sorry I am kind of going to be blunt, but if you're just a black dude selling unlicensed guns locally, you get fucking life! 

This guy is trying to smuggle guns from the Philippians! 

If I tried to sell an unlicensed gun to an undercover, if I did this myself, I guarantee you I would get more than 8 years.

Now this guy is taking money to move guns from another country! 8 years!!! fucking too wealthy, too powerful to jail.

American justice is disgusting. Our society is a joke. 

How many Years got Bush again, you know..massmurder and stuff?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It's sad when you come to expect this kind of irony from any government official.  Once they get to taste money and power, their principles and words are that of a snakes.

1 hour ago, DaltonM said:

Seriously? Only 8 years for that! 

I'm sorry I am kind of going to be blunt, but if you're just a black dude selling unlicensed guns locally, you get fucking life! 

This guy is trying to smuggle guns from the Philippians! 

If I tried to sell an unlicensed gun to an undercover, if I did this myself, I guarantee you I would get more than 8 years.

Now this guy is taking money to move guns from another country! 8 years!!! fucking too wealthy, too powerful to jail.

American justice is disgusting. Our society is a joke. 

I totally agree with you here. If it were someone with no money they'd spend a lot longer time in prison than this. What this guy did was use his position of authority to benefit himself. That, in and of itself, should have added up to a lot longer prison sentence.

That saying "with great power, comes great responsibility" should also have an addition to it.

Using great power to benefit yourself, should come with larger penalties.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

Those bribes are nothing compared to what kind of bribes we have in Romania.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.