industry sources - AMD market share may hit new low in Q1 2016

zMeul
46 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Ugh... AMD is not going to sink. And you all should not want for them to sink. 

and this thread is invalidated by the pure fact that their market share HAS risen in Q4 2015. Meaning it would take a monumental fuckup on AMDs side to reach "a new low" in any section of the market.

56 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I don't?! really?! why not?

it's not like AMD is capable of producing HW that people actually give a damn about - well .. except for their fanboys, all 10% of them

with them or without them, it's the same shit for around a decade

last CPU microarchitecture worth a damn was K10, back in 2007

as for GPUs .. lol! they are still on ATi tech

51 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

AMD sinking is a high possibility, and it's a great thing if it happens.  Then Intel and nVidia can cannibalize the remains and go for the kill against one another in competition.  Or Apple can buy AMD, and scare the living shit out of the industry.  Either works for me.

1 hour ago, VanayadGaming said:

So it seems their market share grew...

GPU-Shipments-Q4-2015-NVIDIA-Intel-AMD.p

It did. The OP is just adding his own bias and anti-AMD hatred (He's literally outright stated he hated them, so I cannot in good conscience, take his news posts about AMD as objective) into the title and the coverage of this news story.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

I don't?! really?! why not?

it's not like AMD is capable of producing HW that people actually give a damn about - well .. except for their fanboys, all 10% of them

Jeez man, eat a snickers.

Are you saying AMD can't design hardware that people give a damn about, or can't market it for people to give a damn about it?
Either, I would argue is wrong.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

19 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Are you saying AMD can't design hardware that people give a damn about, or can't market it for people to give a damn about it?

neither

AMD can't design hardware - period! they have to enlist people from other places (see ZEN, GCN)

AMD can't market it - they're still regarded as "the cheaper option"

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

It did. The OP is just adding his own bias and anti-AMD hatred (He's literally outright stated he hated them, so I cannot in good conscience, take his news posts about AMD as objective) into the title and the coverage of this news story.

yeah, might wanna take another look at the table

quarter-to-quarter market share grew by 0.3%, while year-to-year market share went down by 1.9%

but no .. I'm seeing things :dry:

26 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Jeez man, eat a snickers.

Either, I would argue is wrong.

I'm more a rookie than anything else in this AMD's future prediction game. However I do think they don't know how to market their brand to the gamer non-tech savvy public. To me, this is just a factor and certainly not the only reason of AMD's downfall.

Let me explain my vision of the thing :

Many popular games have been developped/advertised in partnership with Nvidia :
UT 2003, UT 2004, UT 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Call of Duty (I,II,IV,V, MW3 BO I,II,III, Ghosts )GTA IV, Age of Mythology, Deus Ex IW, the Far Cry franchise, LOTR Battle for Middle-Earth, Splinter Cell games, Dawn of War, Battlefield (2,3, Hardline), the Sims 2 and 3, Lego Star Wars, Age of Empire III, Fear I and II, Doom 3, The elder scrolls (IV,V, online), Company of Heroes, Just Cause (I,II,III) Warhammer Mark of Chaos, Quake IV, Crysis (I&II), Fallout 3 and 4, Bioshock 1 and 2, Witcher 2 and 3, Assassin's Creed (I,III,IV,V,VI), Batman Arkham Knight/Asylum/City/Origins, Borderlands (I,II,prequel), Civilisation (IV&V), Darksouls II, Hitman (Blood Money and contracts), League of Legends, Metro 2033 (LL too), Starcraft II, Trackmania... (Complet list here)

These games at one point have the Nvidia brand on it, whether through sponsoring events, intro video prior to the game menu, game development, or simply having an Nvidia sticker on the case of the game. This strategy of advertisment from Nvidia started in 2002 with the "Way it's meant to be played program" (learn more here). Thus I became accustomed to see and hear about Nvidia through the games I played during my whole life from childhood, long before I became a tech savvy person.
AMD only started to have a similar approach with "AMD Gaming Evolved", a marketing/games developping program that only started in 2012, and includes many less games than Nvidia's marketing program.
When I talk to my gamers friends who aren't into hardware, they say that they want a "beefy GTX" in their next computer. This isn't because they think that AMD's R9s are worst, but simply because they haven't heard AMD existed in the first place !
When they happen to wander in a computer store, the vast majority of the prebuilds/laptops they see bear a Nvidia stamp. This increases even more their trust in Nvidia whom they've known for years and their mefiance across AMD whom they've have heard very little.

I am not a Nvidia or an AMD fanboy, though I would be sad to see AMD go since I believe competition is always healthy to the consumer.

[TL;DR] AMD current state in the market might be partially due to their lack of advertisment to the general gamer public. I'm not an AMD nor Nvidia fanboy.

Also, by some odd login-through-Steam fuckery, the previous post seems to not have been linked to my account, but to some kind of visitor account. Weird.

40 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yeah, might wanna take another look at the table

quarter-to-quarter market share grew by 0.3%, while year-to-year market share went down by 1.9%

but no .. I'm seeing things :dry:

Well we knew that their marketshare compared to last year was down. But that number has slowed, and started to go back up. While the change is almost insignificant, it's still important.

We shall see what their marketshare is like once Q3-Q4 2016 hits though. That'll be the important time frame to look at.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well we knew that their marketshare compared to last year was down. But that number has slowed, and started to go back up.

yeah .. that's not how it works

Q4 dGPU market share: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-76-amd-24-gpu-marketshare-q4-2014.html

2013: 35%

2014: 24%

how the hell do you see it "going up" when it went from 35% to 11.5% :dry:

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

neither

AMD can't design hardware - period! they have to enlist people from other places (see ZEN, GCN)

AMD can't market it - they're still regarded as "the cheaper option"

"AMD can't design hardware": I have yet to find anyone arguing how maxwell was purely a better hardware design than say GCN. Maxwells big benefits are not in the hardware design. AMD has already designed very mature hardware designs for future APIs. Whereas the competition barely can stay relevant with the same API over its lifetime (exaggerating). What is good designed hardware, and what is hardware glued together with fancy software? xD

Also, repeating the argument and appending " - period!", doesn't make your arguments any better.

Could you explain what you mean with "they have to enlist people from other places (see ZEN, GCN)"

"AMD can't market it": First of all, AMDs marketing department is currently just surviving the winter, waiting for spring to show (zen and future GCN).

We all see how AMD is teasing consumers for polaris (with the performance/watt test), meanwhile Nvidia is still very much shut (or at the very least, there are rumours about nvidia talking about automotives). Also, I can imagine (and from what I've heard), that AMD news are pulling lots of views to many tech sites (perhaps more than Nvidia?).

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

1 hour ago, 194048_1454181246 said:

I'm more a rookie than anything else in this AMD's future prediction game. However I do think they don't know how to market their brand to the gamer non-tech savvy public. To me, this is just a factor and certainly not the only reason of AMD's downfall.

Let me explain my vision of the thing :

Many popular games have been developped/advertised in partnership with Nvidia :
UT 2003, UT 2004, UT 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Call of Duty (I,II,IV,V, MW3 BO I,II,III, Ghosts )GTA IV, Age of Mythology, Deus Ex IW, the Far Cry franchise, LOTR Battle for Middle-Earth, Splinter Cell games, Dawn of War, Battlefield (2,3, Hardline), the Sims 2 and 3, Lego Star Wars, Age of Empire III, Fear I and II, Doom 3, The elder scrolls (IV,V, online), Company of Heroes, Just Cause (I,II,III) Warhammer Mark of Chaos, Quake IV, Crysis (I&II), Fallout 3 and 4, Bioshock 1 and 2, Witcher 2 and 3, Assassin's Creed (I,III,IV,V,VI), Batman Arkham Knight/Asylum/City/Origins, Borderlands (I,II,prequel), Civilisation (IV&V), Darksouls II, Hitman (Blood Money and contracts), League of Legends, Metro 2033 (LL too), Starcraft II, Trackmania... (Complet list here)

These games at one point have the Nvidia brand on it, whether through sponsoring events, intro video prior to the game menu, game development, or simply having an Nvidia sticker on the case of the game. This strategy of advertisment from Nvidia started in 2002 with the "Way it's meant to be played program" (learn more here). Thus I became accustomed to see and hear about Nvidia through the games I played during my whole life from childhood, long before I became a tech savvy person.
AMD only started to have a similar approach with "AMD Gaming Evolved", a marketing/games developping program that only started in 2012, and includes many less games than Nvidia's marketing program.
When I talk to my gamers friends who aren't into hardware, they say that they want a "beefy GTX" in their next computer. This isn't because they think that AMD's R9s are worst, but simply because they haven't heard AMD existed in the first place !
When they happen to wander in a computer store, the vast majority of the prebuilds/laptops they see bear a Nvidia stamp. This increases even more their trust in Nvidia whom they've known for years and their mefiance across AMD whom they've have heard very little.

I am not a Nvidia or an AMD fanboy, though I would be sad to see AMD go since I believe competition is always healthy to the consumer.

[TL;DR] AMD current state in the market might be partially due to their lack of advertisment to the general gamer public. I'm not an AMD nor Nvidia fanboy.

Good point.

It is an different way of marketing, more towards the general individual, however are less effective on the individual. Where the teasers and the like are targeting the tech enthusiast, is generally more effective on the individual.

The issue I see with this (is very similar to general consumers regards to CPUs and Intel branding, where one might have heard of "i7", but are clueless about AMD), is that the consumer often go to a familiar tech enthusiast (or are been persuaded by the saleman), and going by that decision. I have multiple experiences, where a gamer (not tech enthusiast), was adamantine that the CPU was an I7, yet it ended been a 8c piledriver CPU. Same for thinking they have an nvidia card, meanwhile they have an AMD card. I think the end up confusing the brand with the actual components (CPU = I7, GPU = GTX).

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Q4 dGPU market share: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-76-amd-24-gpu-marketshare-q4-2014.html

You're not bringing up any new information here. Compared to 2013, everyone knows that AMD has lost massive marketshare. This is not news.

I'm looking at micro-trends. You're talking about already-known macro-trends. We'll see if the trend you've noted will continue beyond this year.

25 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

"AMD can't design hardware": I have yet to find anyone arguing how maxwell was purely a better hardware design than say GCN. Maxwells big benefits are not in the hardware design. AMD has already designed very mature hardware designs for future APIs. Whereas the competition barely can stay relevant with the same API over its lifetime (exaggerating). What is good designed hardware, and what is hardware glued together with fancy software? xD

APUs .... the CPU part of the APU is based on the Bulldozer microarchitecture, architecture that was just turd, polished turd is still turd; the GPU part is based on GCN, architecture that was brought in from ATi

Could you explain what you mean with "they have to enlist people from other places (see ZEN, GCN)

the brain behind ZEN is Jim Keller - in 2004 he left to P.A. Semi as VP of engineering (then joined Apple in 2008 as they bought P.A. Semi) after finishing the design of K7 microarchitecture (2003), AMD got him back for ZEN; he left AMD again

GCN - the GCN architecture is not AMD's it's ATi's

We all see how AMD is teasing consumers for polaris (with the performance/watt test), meanwhile Nvidia is still very much shut (or at the very least, there are rumours about nvidia talking about automotives). Also, I can imagine (and from what I've heard), that AMD news are pulling lots of views to many tech sites (perhaps more than Nvidia?).

don't you mean inventing numbers

and don't forget how they blamed BapCO for their poor sales xD

you know the funny thing, nVidia doesn't need views on many tech sites when they sell GTX970 like hot cookies - just proves that AMD's marketing dept. is trash

I'm tired of Huddy and his cohorts of Red Team + , seeing black boxes everywhere - AMD fans got tiered too

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

could you not mix up your own statistics. its more like 18.8% instead of 11.5% :dry:

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

AMD's ship has been sinking ever-since the Athlon processor (i still own one). That was first amd processor that actually beat intel in most best buy guides based on pure performance (as far as I can remember).After the athlon, AMD have been mostly feeding more power into components instead of designing better components in general. You can see this trend in gpu's and cpu's alike. I read rumour of a new start-up where amd and an American university are developing a totally new processor with different technologies and under a different brand. I am not hopeful about zen, because i can already guess the difference in powerinput to reach similar benchmarks as intel.

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

Except that cut's Intel out of the equation, so yes, it has rebounded.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

APUs .... the CPU part of the APU is based on the Bulldozer microarchitecture, architecture that was just turd, polished turd is still turd; the GPU part is based on GCN, architecture that was brought in from ATi

Lets take APUs: CPU part based on steamroller and carrizo are, imo, doing surprising well (considering the large gap on the node between competition, 28nm vs 14nm).

GCN wasn't brought in.

the brain behind ZEN is Jim Keller - in 2004 he left to P.A. Semi as VP of engineering (then joined Apple in 2008 as they bought P.A. Semi) after finishing the design of K7 microarchitecture (2003), AMD got him back for ZEN; he left AMD again

GCN - the GCN architecture is not AMD's it's ATi's

I'm not sure I understand this argument. Bringing in the right people is a big part when a company needs to design hardware. Also engineers change ship all the time.

ATI acquisition was in 2006. GCN was released in 2011. Why do you keep saying GCN isn't AMDs?

don't you mean inventing numbers

and don't forget how they blamed BapCO for their poor sales xD

you know the funny thing, nVidia doesn't need views on many tech sites when they sell GTX970 like hot cookies - just proves that AMD's marketing dept. is trash

I'm tired of Huddy and his cohorts of Red Team + , seeing black boxes everywhere - AMD fans got tiered too

Oh yeah, how did you debunk them cheating with the numbers? Oh, I forgot, you didn't. You just added some noice.

You are taking things out of context. AMD didn't blame BapCO for their poor sales. Also, not the first time BapCO has been in the spotligt (and AMD is by far not the only one not agreeing with BapCO).

Funny thing is, that Nvidia seems to be obsessed with tech sites. Always change the objectives towards the more positive of Nvidias products.

You still haven't realized, that AMD isn't going to step up their marketing game until zen and next generation GCN is out. There are no need to.

@Tomsen

Dont bother with @zMeul, he has no idea what he is talking about. As usual, he is just spreading his deliberatly misinforming and spiteful propaganda. Nothing he has to say about AMD is factually correct, only partially so at best, if at all.

Look, another Anti-AMD Zmeul post.

Move along folks, before he slings more shit in a vain attempt to make it stick